Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Skirts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should The Aptera have Moon discs under their skirts?

donee's 1st post here seems to sum up the answer to your question:
Thanks!
Good conversations there. Looks like a 1 to 6 percent gain in fuel economy depending on a lot of factors. (2nd thread here)

Most of the car owners that put them on said their car got a lot of attention.

I liked this quote:
The guy that put on my tires said, "they look like the inverse of spinners-- the car looks like it's not moving,"

Last edited:
Slightly off topic but related. If wheel skirts reduce drag and increase mileage significantly enough to consider them, then...

Those clip on flags sticking up from people's doors increase drag enough (decrease gas mileage) to consider starting an education campaign against them!

(I know I said "gas" mileage -- no EV owner is his right mind would use one of those :)

Beauty doesn't matter. If Porsche made cars with wheel covers, in five years that would become the new style.

Does anyone like the fins that used to be on old cars? I definitely don't, and I don't think anyone else does either nowadays. Back then, I'm sure they were considered classy or whatever.

"Reason: typo it's-->its"

LOL

I love skirts on cars. Maybe it was the EV1 that pushed me over the edge? I don't know. But they just scream "aero" to me. I'd love to have a system that could slam the car and cover the wheels when I go on the freeway, then raise the car and open the wheels when I'm in town.

I only want everything.

My dear, departed EV1. No dents. But YOU try getting over a speed bump without scratching the bottome of that front fascia. I dare you.

ev1sidesmall.jpg

Last edited:
I don't mind skirts. I believe over time you will get used to it. Same as the Aztek, ugly buy you learn to ignore it. Having that option would be nice though.

As for racing discs. How much of a compromise is that to brake cooling? I know most EVs will have regenerative brakes, but how much of a distance will you sacrifice in emergency situations?

As for racing discs. How much of a compromise is that to brake cooling? I know most EVs will have regenerative brakes, but how much of a distance will you sacrifice in emergency situations?

I see no sacrifice in a one-time emergency stop situation. There isn't *time* to cool the brakes at that point, so having them covered really doesn't hurt anything. What can be a problem is consistent heavy breaking where the heat builds up and has nowhere to go before the next use.

New mercedes ev with wheel skirts

2010 Brabus E V12 Mercedes

This made me laugh.

"The bodywork blisters over the front fenders contribute to a stance that's wider by 1.4 inches. It's also hard to ignore the "Speed Spats" covering the rear wheels, which make the E V12 look like some sort of futuristic railway car. They reduce the turbulence and make a huge difference during high-speed cornering, as does the sliver-thin rear wing with little devil's horns on either side. Of course, if you'd rather do without these bits, you can order the 750-hp version of the E V12, which has a slightly lower top speed."

Wheel skirts back in style? :biggrin: