Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel spacers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most rims, including Tesla’s, have cutouts/holes that in the exact place where the OEM hub studs and nuts protrude. So there is no problem mounting the rims on the spacers.

I now have 21” arachnid wheels on my car with 30mm spacers on the front and 20mm on the rear. There were no mounting problems of any kind. I’ve run spacers on my Model S for about two years and there have been no problems. Nonetheless there are still many folks who are adamantly ant-spacer. Perhaps that’s because they’ve seen examples of the consequences of poor spacer installations, which can be very bad.

You have to have the highest quality spacers and they must be both wheel and hub centric. The torque for both the spacer and wheel lug nuts must be carefully set to 129 ft/lbs. And you must use hard steel lug nuts, not the aluminum ones that many spacer shops supply. If you do it right, there will be no issues.

Thanks for explaining how the OEM studs will recess into the holes of the wheels. Does anyone know if the 22" Turbine wheels on the Model X have these holes?

I agree with you that running spacers is not an issue if you use good quality parts and install them properly.

Most rims, including Tesla’s, have cutouts/holes that in the exact place where the OEM hub studs and nuts protrude. So there is no problem mounting the rims on the spacers.

I now have 21” arachnid wheels on my car with 30mm spacers on the front and 20mm on the rear. There were no mounting problems of any kind. I’ve run spacers on my Model S for about two years and there have been no problems. Nonetheless there are still many folks who are adamantly ant-spacer. Perhaps that’s because they’ve seen examples of the consequences of poor spacer installations, which can be very bad.

You have to have the highest quality spacers and they must be both wheel and hub centric. The torque for both the spacer and wheel lug nuts must be carefully set to 129 ft/lbs. And you must use hard steel lug nuts, not the aluminum ones that many spacer shops supply. If you do it right, there will be no issues.

Installing 21” turbines 8.5”wide square. Did the 18mm allow the studs to fit inside the turbine hub?

Or do i need to go 20mm?

Anyone got pics of the square 21” turbine setup?

I know this isn't what you asked but here are some pictures of my 20mm spacers on a staggered setup. I added an extra 3mm on the rear because i didn't think it would clear the lugs, but it would have been fine.
IMG_5558.jpg

car.jpg

did anyone here with the 20mm spacers get rubbing on the front wheels? i'm getting pretty crazy rubbing with the wheel turned

YES. I have the 20mm spacers featured on the previous page, and I get some pretty solid rubbing at anything past a 1/4 turn of the wheel. below is at full lock:

Rubbin

I suppose I'll try to take the wheels off and use a heat gun to push the plastic wheel well cover back a bit and see how that goes.

EDIT: I just realized my tires were pumped up to 52 PSI, the max. I let them down to 45, and that seems to have made a pretty sizable difference in the amount of rubbing.

DOUBLE EDIT: I found another thread where they mentioned a re-designed inner fender part to solve just this problem. Apparently the brake vents are vertical now, so that even if they do rub, you won't hear it.

Front Tires Rubbing on P85+ when reversing

Last edited: