Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel stuck - can't remove it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
> A sledge on the tire can damage the cords in the tire. A 2x4 and sledge can still bend the rim. I've done both. I think the vibrations from hitting it with a lighter weight bat help. [MLAUTO]

Right, this was not on a Tesla but on a Dodge one ton. And was to remove a stuck brake drum (to hub). Braking with loose lugs finally freed it. Sorry I got carried away; working on the Teslas is so much easier.
--

Heat is very helpful when things are stuck together. Try to heat one item - gently of course - without getting the other warm. The difference in expansion may do the trick.
~Larry

Exactly. In the case of stuck brake drum/hub the best is to oxy/acet torch the (large) contact area with max flame until it pops off violently. Lacking such an intense flame you could heat it slower, then spray cold water on the drum center to create necessary thermal shock. My torch set was in pieces scattered about that day so luckily the panic braking did the trick.
--

I had a stuck wheel on my Elise.

I jacked the car up just enough to give the slightest clearance between the tyre and the ground, the wheel bolts were on just enough so the wheel couldn't fly off, then sat down and gave the wheel a sharp kick with both feet near the bottom. The wheel came off :cool:

I'm sure there's a much more elegant way to do it in a properly equipped shop, but it worked for me.

I painted the faces of the hubs (not the bolts) with copaslip, before refitting.