TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Wheel studs question

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Cricket88, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

for those of you who take your wheels on/off, have you experienced any issues with your wheel studs not torquing down at 130ft lbs? I took my factory 19's off by hand on my 12/2016 MS and put on 21" turbines. As I went to torque the lug nuts, the nuts feel like they want to continue turning and my torque wrench never clicks. I tried another torque wrench to rule out the tool. It almost feels as if the studs are not seated into the hub (or worse, stretched/spinning on its splines)

I took it the the service center but they mentioned they checked the torque and it was fine..

Thoughts? Everything was done by hand and not via Impact (in case anyone is wondering).

Thanks in advance

2. cwave1

cwave1 Member

I have done mine myself for 4 years now (changing each spring / fall) and have not had any issues.

I also use a hand torque wrench. I've heard that torque wrenches can go over time so maybe the problem is with your wrench and not the car. Just a thought.

3. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

It's normally very hard to get a stud to rotate in the hub by hand. I would suspect the stud is also a much harder material than the nut. I would check the threads in the nuts for damage.

4. David.85D

David.85D Member

Did you grease the threads? I've had that "keeps stretching" feeling when I greased bolts I shouldn't have...

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I've never found this to be a problem. The nuts go on and off very easily. Never grease the threads, doing so can cause the lugs to snap.

6. David.85D

David.85D Member

That was my point. Guess it helps to say it explicitly