Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About to pull the trigger on a Midnight Silver/White int LR with roof rack. Was thinking about getting the Inductions because didn't think the Gemini's would look that good on the MS. A little overwhelmed by the tire stuff. Seeing things about crappy all seasons, rim widths, now tire foam? Live in the midwest so either want good all seasons or the ability to get decent (reasonable) snow tires. Wondering if getting the 19s and buying better looking wheels from Tsportline would be the way to go, then tossing snow tires on the 19s. Unsure of how much swapping tires twice a year would cost. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

If you are going to drive your Tesla in winter on snow and ice covered roads then you should have winter tires. There is a larger selection of winter tires for the Tesla 19" wheels than for the 20" wheels. (There are more choices for summer performance tires for the 20" wheels.)

Call around and ask how much a local garage would charge to mount, balance a set of winter tires. This is something that they do all the time, fall and spring. It should not cost more than $100 to $120 to swap the tires on your Tesla. It would definitely be less expensive than buying a second set of wheels (you would also need to purchase a set of Tesla tire pressure monitor sensors for ~$400 per set.)

Check online at sites such as TireRack. TireRack has a wealth of information to help you make the right choice in tires or wheel and winter tire packages for your Tesla vehicle.

Last edited:
About to pull the trigger on a Midnight Silver/White int LR with roof rack. Was thinking about getting the Inductions because didn't think the Gemini's would look that good on the MS. A little overwhelmed by the tire stuff. Seeing things about crappy all seasons, rim widths, now tire foam? Live in the midwest so either want good all seasons or the ability to get decent (reasonable) snow tires. Wondering if getting the 19s and buying better looking wheels from Tsportline would be the way to go, then tossing snow tires on the 19s. Unsure of how much swapping tires twice a year would cost. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

For me personally, I like to get the cheapest factory wheel option possible. Then I take the savings from not upgrading and spend it towards a high quality aftermarket wheel set.

You can mount dedicated winter tires on your OEM wheels, so when winter/summer switches over, it's a simple wheel mount and dismount.

Is there any specific styles of wheels you're drawn towards? I can definitely help you out with this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian-MS90D
Thanks for the replies. Not really anything specific, just something that looks good with the midnight silver. Was thinking something darker would look better. Not really looking to spend an extra 6k either. Crazy how expensive it gets quick.

Would be nice if I could just get the tesla winter tire package with the car and then get the other rims/tires. Cause as it sits it seems I’m looking at $4200ish for rims/tires, $400 for sensors, then 1200 for the winters.

Originally I was thinking of paying the 2k for the inductions and then trying to get winters on those. But selection seems pretty limited and there seems to be a learning curve with what fits what.

Thanks for the replies. Not really anything specific, just something that looks good with the midnight silver. Was thinking something darker would look better. Not really looking to spend an extra 6k either. Crazy how expensive it gets quick.

Would be nice if I could just get the tesla winter tire package with the car and then get the other rims/tires. Cause as it sits it seems I’m looking at $4200ish for rims/tires, $400 for sensors, then 1200 for the winters.

Originally I was thinking of paying the 2k for the inductions and then trying to get winters on those. But selection seems pretty limited and there seems to be a learning curve with what fits what.

Look through this thread in reverse order to see if anything catches your eyes.
Vendor - Show Off Your Aftermarket Model Y Wheels

We're a vendor for a growing number of aftermarket brands, so I'm sure I'll be able to offer you something at various price points.

I can help you with any diameter, width, offset, fitment and TPMS related questions as well. I have accumulated a pretty extensive list of Model Y wheels and tire sizes that has great fitment, cause I'm just crazy like that :D.

Feel free to private message me!

I have buyers remorse getting LR. In 1 of my earlier post in this forum I said I am to old now and fix up my model Y. As of today I installed auto frunk, ordered mpp coil over kit, and probably get some black wheels to go along with it.

Last edited:
About to pull the trigger on a Midnight Silver/White int LR with roof rack. Was thinking about getting the Inductions because didn't think the Gemini's would look that good on the MS.
Here's pics of Gemini's on MS MY both with caps and without.
IMG_7418.JPG
IMG_7463.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung

Here are some pictures of black wheels (or silver) on MSM.View attachment 641297
20210131_075532_IMG_8210.jpg
20210226_061150.jpg
View attachment 641300
20200822_192848_10203.JPG

Attachments

• 20200620_110613_9662.JPG
    20200620_110613_9662.JPG
    528 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200419_084116_9186.JPG
    20200419_084116_9186.JPG
    336.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Here's pics of Gemini's on MS MY both with caps and without.
View attachment 641284 View attachment 641285

@Flybuddy thanks for posting these! @dogmodes I was going to ask if you'd seen the 19" wheels without the Gemini caps, so this is a perfect example. I plan to remove the covers right away when we get our MSM MY and go like the bottom photo posted by Flybuddy.

Note that to get this look, you also need to purchase the little centre caps and lug nut covers (the black parts in Flybuddy's photo). You can get them in various colors from 3rd parties, or in a silver color direct from the Tesla shop, and neither options is anywhere near as expensive as buying new rims!

EDIT: you can also optionally get the 19" rims (the rim part under the Gemini covers are named Apollo, FYI) powdercoated in black like @RoBoRaT pictured (his first two photos, not the last one of course) or really in just about any color you like (there is someone in TMC that has purple, and I think it's i1 Tesla on YouTube that has his a light green).

@Flybuddy thanks for posting these! @dogmodes I was going to ask if you'd seen the 19" wheels without the Gemini caps, so this is a perfect example. I plan to remove the covers right away when we get our MSM MY and go like the bottom photo posted by Flybuddy.

Note that to get this look, you also need to purchase the little centre caps and lug nut covers (the black parts in Flybuddy's photo). You can get them in various colors from 3rd parties, or in a silver color direct from the Tesla shop, and neither options is anywhere near as expensive as buying new rims!

EDIT: you can also optionally get the 19" rims (the rim part under the Gemini covers are named Apollo, FYI) powdercoated in black like @RoBoRaT pictured (his first two photos, not the last one of course) or really in just about any color you like (there is someone in TMC that has purple, and I think it's i1 Tesla on YouTube that has his a light green).

Thanks, I eventually took the Apollo/Gemini off (kept as spare set) and went with Replika R241s, with new tires and new TPMS.
IMG_7816.JPG

Thanks for the replies. Not really anything specific, just something that looks good with the midnight silver. Was thinking something darker would look better. Not really looking to spend an extra 6k either.

Sounds like you want the good look on your Model Y, and without having to spend a lot of money. IMO, that leaves you with 2 "cheap" options.

1) Get the free 19" Gemini wheels and take off the hubcaps and powder coat the wheels and then put on some winter or all-weather tires. You might be able to sell your "new take off" tires with delivery miles on them for a few bucks to help offset the cost. This would be the cheaper route but there's more work involved to achieve this. If you don't like the look of the Gemini wheels on the Model Y (due to the offset), maybe look into some wheel spacers to get a better looking stance.

2) Get the 20" Induction wheels for $2000, and then remove the "new" Goodyear tires and try to sell them. Might be able to get a few more bucks out of them than the 19" tires. Use that money to get some winter or all-weather tires and be done with it.

Thanks everyone for the advice and pictures! I'm going to checkout the aftermarket threads for some inspiration but as @srlawren & @SDM44 summed up I'm probably best to either get the 19's and powder coat or just get 20's for now. Which I'm leaning towards 20's because I see you can get decent winter tires for them. That might be the easiest, and gives me the room to upgrade later without feeling like I need to spend 5-6k right at pickup. Just wonder how the ride is on the 20's vs 19's but haven't seen any complaints.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Thanks everyone for the advice and pictures! I'm going to checkout the aftermarket threads for some inspiration but as @srlawren & @SDM44 summed up I'm probably best to either get the 19's and powder coat or just get 20's for now. Which I'm leaning towards 20's because I see you can get decent winter tires for them. That might be the easiest, and gives me the room to upgrade later without feeling like I need to spend 5-6k right at pickup. Just wonder how the ride is on the 20's vs 19's but haven't seen any complaints.

Don't forget to consider how likely you are to get wheel damage from hitting a pothole. And how much it would cost to replace a damaged wheel if you do. I think the 19's will be less likely to get damaged and cheaper to replace if they do get damaged.