Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Tire Combination To Improve Efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Low profile tires will give a better initial turn-in feel. There is less rubber to stretch and wiggle sideways when you turn the wheels. Call it turn-in "lag"... :p Softer winter tires sometimes give that type of mushy feel too. Now if you put on sport tires, even with some sidewall they'll be stiff enough to be okay for most people. That's what I do. Whether that's "useful" on the street is arguable and is a personal thing. You can go to the other extreme and drive an SUV that has huge tires but small wheels, if such a thing still exists. Many years ago I had 16" wheels on a Mitsubishi Outlander with huge sidewalls and you could feel it when turning the wheels at speed.

Reactions: 804son
Aside from looks what are the benefits of these low-profile tires on street cars driven as daily drivers? I never liked the look so I'm not giving any benefit.
Typically Low profile tires are more Sport oriented, therefore they provide Quicker turn-in response, More road feel, Improved stopping distance (but that's tread compound, not really Low profile), and of course the aesthetics that a lot of people like. However many of these things can still be obtained with a good Summer Performance tire that is not extremely low profile and stretched on the wheel. All a matter of choice really. I have a Model Y Performance and am doing just fine with the 255/35/21 & 275/35/21 summer performance tires. I don't find the ride to be too stiff nor have I had any trouble yet with pot holes. I do have a separate set of 19" Winter tires & wheels that I run October - April here in Colorado.