Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel & Tire Size Consideration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if I put 18" winter tires on the M3 with solid hub caps; (I don't change my winter tires on the same rims. My winter set will probably be on steel rims) would I get 10-15% range back in cold weather?

Assuming they are equipped with 20" all seasons for summer.

Has anyone tried using Michelin Pilot Supersport 255/40-20's on the front. There is a version of these made for Porsche (the Panamera I presume) that has a 10 inch tread width. I have talked to different sales reps at Tire Rack and other sites that say that it will and that it won't fit. The best way to know is see if anyone has done it. If so what were your wheel specs-especially the offset.
Thanks

Has anyone tried using Michelin Pilot Supersport 255/40-20's on the front. There is a version of these made for Porsche (the Panamera I presume) that has a 10 inch tread width. I have talked to different sales reps at Tire Rack and other sites that say that it will and that it won't fit. The best way to know is see if anyone has done it. If so what were your wheel specs-especially the offset.
Thanks
This thread is about the Model 3 wheels & tires. I'm guessing you're curious about fitment on the Model S. Best to try another subforum.

I've speculated that the available wheel sizes will be:

20" x 8.0" Front
20" x 9.5" Rear
or
18" x 8.0" Both

The rationale is in this thread: Standard Wheel/Tire Size for Model 3

I would be surprised if they were anything but this. However, this doesn't help you until you have the offset(s). I'm guessing you won't have those until after the initial deliveries and owners take off the wheels to inspect the inner spokes or wherever they're marked.

Does Tesla even list the offsets for S/X wheels now? The offsets aren't shown in the online store.

Also, don't you also need confirmation of the lug size/spacing? It's a good bet that those are same as the S/X wheels, but that would be an expensive mistake.

Last edited:
I've speculated that the available wheel sizes will be:

20" x 8.0" Front
20" x 9.5" Rear
or
18" x 8.0" Both

The rationale is in this thread: Standard Wheel/Tire Size for Model 3

I would be surprised if they were anything but this. However, this doesn't help you until you have the offset(s). I'm guessing you won't have those until after the initial deliveries and owners take off the wheels to inspect the inner spokes or wherever they're marked.

Does Tesla even list the offsets for S/X wheels now? The offsets aren't shown in the online store.

Also, don't you also need confirmation of the lug size/spacing? It's a good bet that those are same as the S/X wheels, but that would be an expensive mistake.
Thanks for all of the information:

As you stated....I'm going to need the offset and lug spacing as well. As you stated...maybe I will have to wait until delivery. Maybe I can call Tesla a couple weeks before delivery and hopefully they can tell me.

I really want the bigger wheels for looks (I know I know). I had 15" wheels on my 65' Mustang Fastback and they barely fit. They were 50 series tires in the early 90's and they cost about $300/tire. So as the tires go up in size they get more affordable because more cars have them.

My biggest issue is if the wheels are staggered. If they are I might go with the smaller ones. That really hurts the tire life to me more than the lower sidewall size. If I burn through the tires I can always look for ones with a better treadwear rating on replacement. That won't matter much if I can't rotate the tires.

Thanks for all of the information:
As you stated....I'm going to need the offset and lug spacing as well. As you stated...maybe I will have to wait until delivery.
Maybe I can call Tesla a couple weeks before delivery and hopefully they can tell me.

Size: 20X9.0″, 20×10.0″
Offset: 20×9.0+35, 20×10.0+40
PCD: 5X120
Center Bore: 64.1mm
Lug Nut Spec: 13/16 Hex, 14X1.50 Thread
Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129 lb-ft.
Finishes: Brilliant Silver, Metallic Grey, Gloss Black, and Matte Black.
Tire Sizes: 245/40-20″ for 20×9.0″ and 275/40-20″ for 20×10.0″.

• Helpful
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Size: 20X9.0″, 20×10.0″
Offset: 20×9.0+35, 20×10.0+40
PCD: 5X120
Center Bore: 64.1mm
Lug Nut Spec: 13/16 Hex, 14X1.50 Thread
Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129 lb-ft.
Finishes: Brilliant Silver, Metallic Grey, Gloss Black, and Matte Black.
Tire Sizes: 245/40-20″ for 20×9.0″ and 275/40-20″ for 20×10.0″.
This is helpful for comparison but appear to be specs for Model S not Model 3.

Me personally will be getting the cheapest wheels possible, hell I'd take steel wheels if I could, I really can't justify the price Tesla charge for wheels and tyres when you can buy aftermarket for a fraction of the price.

Got another question.
Say you get aftermarket rims 20" on a X, slightly wider but also litlle less weight (vossen). Would it increase or decrease range

Generally speaking, a lighter rim will increase range while a wider tire will decrease range slightly.
For the Model X, the range penalty is approximately 10-15% with the larger 22" wheel according to Tesla.

You should expect to see a net increase in range with a 20" lightweight aftermarket wheel on your Model X. :cool:

upload_2016-9-11_19-55-33.png