Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel trading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a good picture of a typical granite curbstone:
View attachment 3855
Not only is granite harder than typical concrete (or asphalt curbs, used in many areas), it has a 90-degree angle and often protruding irregularities extending outward -- sometimes, by a centimeter or more.
Yep. You can cut yourself on that top corner (seriously) and you can use the side for rough sandpaper. It's not good to run into with tires, but it's *nasty* to metal in a way which concrete curbs actually aren't.

The model S is massively wide, so parallel parking isn't going to be that easy anyway. Oh -- and we have narrow parking lanes in the Northeast. I'm a very good driver, but I'm not going to avoid hitting the curb every single time (parking two-three times a day).

It sounds like there are a few people who want different wheels than the S that they are ordering will come with such as:

Performance but want 19" standard
Performance but want 19" Aero
Standard but want 21" performance/silver
Standard but want 19" Aero

I am thinking that I will get a performance (assuming my $ stretch enough) but my wife likes the Aero wheel pictures so I may go with those. Since the performance comes with the 21"s, if someone getting a base model would want them, I would love to trade the 21s for aeros. That way someone could get the 21'"s for $1500 instead of $3500.
Of course it would only really work for TeslaSers living near each other

To throw my hat in, if anyone is up for selling their silver 21 inchers, I'm open to buying (if the price is right, if it's 50 bucks less than what I can get it from Tesla forget it)
The way the stock has gone, I'm looking at the Perf so I'll be looking to sell my 21" silvers (don't like the carbon) and get 19". Seems like it'd need to be a local swap though to make that work, otherwise your S is up on blocks waiting for tires in the mail...

I'm still hoping Tesla sees the light and does right by Perf customers on this. It's such a simple thing.

ckessel,
I might be interested. still have to think about it. And we only live 2 miles apart.
Cool. What's your reservation number? I'm P2840. We could probably pay Les Schwab $50 to swap our tires. Or maybe, if there's a Tesla store here at that point we could have them do it.

I'm getting 21" silver since I'm not fond of the look of the carbon grey rims, but I'd be willing to get the 21" carbon if a swap is guaranteed.

You have to bear in mind if you have a general production car and are trading with a signature, the signature wheels will be used for however long it takes until you get your car.

That said I'm getting signature 21" (probably black) since they come with it, but I'd strongly consider trading down to aero wheels with someone in SoCal if they paid a share of the difference in price... By the time of general production I should have decided if I want the extra range.

Last edited:
ckessel,
I thought your were a Sig holder. I'm P2863. Maybe we can just have them swap at the factory! :) I'm tempted to get the Perf also, but it's kinda hard to justify for me.
I was a Sig holder, but I downgraded. This may work out perfectly. Our cars are likely going to be delivered on the same truck.

When we get contacted by Tesla, let's get back in touch and confirm whether it's still something we both want to do and agree on a swap price/time/location.

I was hoping to get a good look at your car before I had to order mine. Guess that isn't going to happen. What ext/int color/trim are you thinking about? If they batch the car colors through the factory that might have some impact on delivery schedule.

I'm thinking either blue or green on the outside and tan leather with either banana or lacewood on the inside. I'm planning on the 85kwh battery.

-drbradfo

I will have a 19" standard or 19" Aero and want a 21" Performance. Please PM me if you want to trade, and your terms. Thank you. I am in California, and am willing to trade in Northern or Southern CA as I travel often. Thanks!

It sounds like there are a few people who want different wheels than the S that they are ordering will come with such as:

Performance but want 19" standard
Performance but want 19" Aero
Standard but want 21" performance/silver
Standard but want 19" Aero

I am thinking that I will get a performance (assuming my $ stretch enough) but my wife likes the Aero wheel pictures so I may go with those. Since the performance comes with the 21"s, if someone getting a base model would want them, I would love to trade the 21s for aeros. That way someone could get the 21'"s for $1500 instead of $3500.
Of course it would only really work for TeslaSers living near each other

I'll get a Model S Signature, which comes with the 21" wheels, but because, I'd rather like to get the 19" standard wheels, I'm very interested in trading them with somebody else.

My biggest problem is now, that I'll get my Model S Signature not before early 2013, because I live in Switzerland.

Anybody in Europe, who wants to trade in the opposite direction?

The easiest way to get the 21" performance wheels is to get the 21" wheels and then take them in and get them enameled. I'm sure that they are regular 21" fan wheels with an enamel coating. I'm sure that a good shop could match the color!!

Assuming I like the 19" Aero wheels when I see them in person, I'll swap my 21" Performance wheels (non-Sig) for 19" Aero wheels plus half the difference in price - so we each get a $1000 discount.

I'm in No. CA. Reservation #R270. PM me if you're interested.

- A base model customer is looking at wheel choices on the wall: cheap, medium, expensive. The car's final cost is dependent on those choices.
- A Perf (or Sig) customer is looking at the same wheel choices on the same wall. The car's final cost is not dependent on the choice.

Seems a fair question to ask why the price impact is different for two people making the same choice of wheel. The wheel cost for Tesla is the same for both customers.

I care about whether things make sense, whether the duality of this pricing structure has a consistent logic. This thread about arranging tire swaps only exists because Tesla's wheel pricing structure has a disconnect with the actual wheel value.

Last edited: