Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Weight Vs Aero

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I am curious as to if anybody has some input on which matters more.

For example: 19 inch Apollo w/ Gemini Cap ~ 30lbs. VS 20 Inch martian MW03 ~20LBS.

The question I have is, does the weight matter more than the aerodynamic cap?

Hello all,

I am curious as to if anybody has some input on which matters more.

For example: 19 inch Apollo w/ Gemini Cap ~ 30lbs. VS 20 Inch martian MW03 ~20LBS.

The question I have is, does the weight matter more than the aerodynamic cap?
I would think it depends on your use case. Lighter wheels probably help a lot with acceleration and general performance, but steady-state high-speed driving will tilt the scale toward the Aero wheels for range.

Thanks for the replies. It kind of makes sense. I just figured that lighter wheel also means less effort to turn for the motor, therefore more efficient.
Nope, as mentioned above, during constant speed travel on a smooth surface (highway), a heavy wheel/tire combination basically has no impact on range. Heavier rolling stock will reduce driving efficiency in stop-and-go conditions when the motor will need more energy to accelerate and energy losses from regen will be higher.

• Informative
Reactions: Kabillyhop
Nope, as mentioned above, during constant speed travel on a smooth surface (highway), a heavy wheel/tire combination basically has no impact on range. Heavier rolling stock will reduce driving efficiency in stop-and-go conditions when the motor will need more energy to accelerate and energy losses from regen will be higher.
Good to know, but from what I read is the caps only add 3-4% difference. I figured lighter weight would still have relevance.

Good to know, but from what I read is the caps only add 3-4% difference. I figured lighter weight would still have relevance.
Wheel weight is not relevant for highway driving. Lighter wheels will help range a little around town, but that's usually less important. I've seen people drop a few grand on forged lightweight wheels with unfavorable aerodynamics (Martian MW03) in hopes of getting more highway range. The physics says otherwise.

Lightweight wheels improve the dynamics (ride, handling), but don't buy them to reduce charge time on a long-distance trip.