Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel well liner??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drive through 2 INCHES of snow this morning and could hear a slight rubbing. I assumed it was snow caked in the wheel well. I got home (was only about a mile) and looked and it was actually my wheel well liner that has torn off because snow got under it somehow and is now caked in places I didn’t even know it could/should get.

to note I live in a very snowy area and have drive through much more snow before and didn’t experience this.

I’ve emailed service to see if I can safely drive to them or if it needs to be towed but wanted to see if anyone else
has experienced anything like this? I’m attaching a pic.

As of right now one of my wheels is off and is safely jacked in my garage.

Attachments

• 40A7D491-31C5-462A-8272-09A0D76121D5.jpeg
    40A7D491-31C5-462A-8272-09A0D76121D5.jpeg
    400.9 KB · Views: 673
  • Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Mine also came off on the front-left, but I have no idea where it is. Mud caused mine. In fact mud pulled off my front bumper cover recently.

Went to McClendon's and got much better fasteners than Tesla uses. Now if someone will only respond to my attempts to buy the liner...

Hi Its not uncommon to have that happen on all cars especially if you drive through water at speed and snow, I live in Ireland and its very wet and I have had the inner liner pop forward due to water pressure. I fitted it back and replaced the retaining plugs that broke away and have had to do it once after that.
If its badly damaged and creased then its possibly going to have to be a new one.
But if you look on Ebay you will find a used one for around $120.00 they are easy to fit after the wheel has been removed.
Wish you luck let me know how you get on.
Mark

Hi Its not uncommon to have that happen on all cars especially if you drive through water at speed and snow, I live in Ireland and its very wet and I have had the inner liner pop forward due to water pressure. I fitted it back and replaced the retaining plugs that broke away and have had to do it once after that.
If its badly damaged and creased then its possibly going to have to be a new one.
But if you look on Ebay you will find a used one for around $120.00 they are easy to fit after the wheel has been removed.
Wish you luck let me know how you get on.
Mark

my car is still under warranty (btb) my concern truly is two things WHY this happened in two inches of snow and didn’t when I drove through a foot several weeks ago. I’ve had new tires put in in between so I know the liner was fine at that time.

the actual fasteners Tesla used are actually all still in place. The liner literally tore away from the body of the car. It’s half on and half off.

I had a previous p85 and drove through snow all the time and this never happened either.

I have not had this myself but we have snow conditions about the same as in Seattle. I would assume there was also a lump of ice in that two inches of snow and if so that would given a sound during this drive as well... As you explain that previous drives in deeper snow have had no issues, I would think this has had quite a pressure on the liner to weaken the holes of fixtures, and now your recent drive gave you this result.

I have not had this myself but we have snow conditions about the same as in Seattle. I would assume there was also a lump of ice in that two inches of snow and if so that would given a sound during this drive as well... As you explain that previous drives in deeper snow have had no issues, I would think this has had quite a pressure on the liner to weaken the holes of fixtures, and now your recent drive gave you this result.

actually it was all fresh powder. I’ve literally driven through snow every single day since November and zero issues. I know my avatar says “Seattle” but I’m in the burbs of Seattle and at around 2000’ elevation.

update: service was concerned by this so they had my car towed in to them. The tech looked at it and apparently the exposed wires and such are air lines. And underbody paint. So...not an issue. He didn’t know why the lines both failed this time and not before. But tucked them in and ordered me new ones.