TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wheels. 20" or 22

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Signaturex, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Signaturex

Signaturex Member

What is the difference (other than the size) in a 20 or 22 inch wheel?

Sig x #867

2. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

Generally, 22" would be lower profile than 20's. That is there is less side wall, and one needs to be aware of curbs and structures that could scratch the rims. Also, 22" are usually more expensive than 20" inch tires. Not so much due to the product, but manufacturers produce more 20's. It is a Good move to get away from 21" that are on the S. 21" inch tires are more expensive than either. Had the X come with 21", I would have gotten the 19", sold them and installed aftermarket 22".

You may also note on the Model S page that the 19" provide better mileage than the 21" tires. That may well be the case with 22" vs. 20". On the plus side, the 22" rims and tires may look a lot better on the high body of the SUV. So 22" have more "style" points IMO.

3. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

4. Signaturex

Signaturex Member

I think what I need to know is the rim that is 22 or 20. And then is the tire thinner on the 22. If so then I would go 20

5. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

I think the 22" look amazing on the mules, so I'm going for it against my better judgement. Will use 20" in winter and will sell the 22"s if the ride or wear is worse than anticipated.

6. Saxena

Saxena Member

Great choice! Have to say, that even though there is the inconvenience of switching out wheels twice a year, we have been loving the looks of the gray 21" wheels on our model S!

7. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

As you get older there is no reason to be reasonable or have better judgement. I will go with what looks better and deal with the consequences. Love my 21's on the Model S and need to see the options on the Model X and then make a decision.

8. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

Yea, I guess I was torn, due to my love of the 19"s on my S over the ride on the 21"s.

9. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Yes. Same outer tire diameter and circumference on both wheel sizes so the tire is "thinner" (or has a lower profile) on the 22" wheel.

10. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

IMO this decision depends more on your road and weather conditions than anything else. We have excellent roads and the entire state is flat as a pancake; plus there's no real winter here. I'm going for 22"s

11. Signaturex

Signaturex Member

thank you, that helps me understand.

Sigx #867

- - - Updated - - -

LA with hill and lots of tight bends but also freeways and the PCH

sigx #867

12. CarlK

CarlK Member

That's a good question. It's likely the two have different brand/model tires with different rubber. Model S 19" comes with all season tire and 21" comes with (Michelin PSII) summer tire.

13. Jeva

Jeva BKINTME

I'd like to see pics of the X with 19", 20" & 22" wheels. It's hard to tell from the mule pics what sizes the wheels are.

14. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I feel like the 22's make sense to get full "sig value", and then you can sell them or get another set for winter.

15. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Yes, this.

16. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Most of the "mules" have been on either the 20" or the 22" wheels. The other ones have been on a mystery wheel that looks closer to the size of the 20".

17. eHeyMan

eHeyMan New Member

Thanks for the discussion. I prefer the 20" wheels - More rubber, longer wear, and a better for option for weather and road conditions here in the NW.

18. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

And in the opposite case, we have cold weather, potholes, our state is broke, and I've split several Model S 21" low-profile tires. I'll stick with 20". :)

- - - Updated - - -

You have a point. I viewed obtaining a new set of wheels and selling the 22" ones a bit of a hassle. Wonder what the difference will be.

19. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Prooobably, but I've gotta make it make sense for me somehow :wink:

20. Signaturex

Signaturex Member

I'm going for the 20 wheels. They still look great but the 22 inch only do about 10,000 miles.