Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheels. 20" or 22

AMN

Supporting Member
May 24, 2013
MSP, NYC, BZN
Surprisingly, there are many 22" tire options in stock MX sizing and quite a few of them for less than $200 a pop. I am glad I checked. I originally opted for 20s but will change the order to 22s now...

BerTX

Supporting Member
May 2, 2014
Texas/Washington
Just a bit more info in this subject -- the latest MX configuration screens show a reduction in towing rating with 22" wheels. 20" wheels allows a 5000# rating, but using 22" wheels drops it to 3500#.

NigelM

Recovering Member
Apr 3, 2011
Northern Virginia
Just a bit more info in this subject -- the latest MX configuration screens show a reduction in towing rating with 22" wheels. 20" wheels allows a 5000# rating, but using 22" wheels drops it to 3500#.

The issue is more related to tongue weight than trailer weight. Above 350lbs you should definitely take the 20" wheels.

jasonsc

Jun 15, 2013
South Orange County
Surprisingly, there are many 22" tire options in stock MX sizing and quite a few of them for less than $200 a pop. I am glad I checked. I originally opted for 20s but will change the order to 22s now...

I was surprised by that as well. I wonder how long they will last. The 21s don't have much longevity...

neroden

Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan
Apr 25, 2011
Ithaca, NY, USA
It's head-scratching to me that they offer 20" and not 19". I wonder why they created this further inconsistency with Model S. Maybe there's some fundamental way in which the wheels are different between Model S and Model X and they didn't want people putting the wrong wheels on?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC