Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.

I have ordered my Model S 90D.

I have 5 more days to confirm my specification and i have the 21" wheels with air suspension.. I read somewhere that the 19" give a better range.... is this true? and if so how much..

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi all. I have ordered my Model S 90D.
I have 5 more days to confirm my specification and i have the 21" wheels with air suspension.. I read somewhere that the 19" give a better range.... is this true? and if so how much..Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance

the calculator is right on the website.

Here is the link to the Tesla Range Calculator Model S | Tesla Motors
I displays about a 2% - 3% loss of range with the 21" wheels and tires.

upload_2016-4-17_13-2-13.png

I have staggered 21" silver turbines on my P85+ and they ride just fine. I do have the air suspension though. And I'd sacrifice a bit of ride comfort for the improved look as the 21" fill out the wheel wells much better. The only downside is the 265/35 21 PS2 are $349 each before mount, balance, valve stem and tax and only Michelin and Continental have this tire size. I just hit my right rear tire on a very small curb at slow speed. The tire bore most of the punishment, but the lip of the rim was damaged so I will have it repaired tomorrow through a mobile wheel service.

Attachments

• DSC_1194.JPG
    DSC_1194.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 57
At less than 2k miles I had to replace a tire (or in your case tyre). I'm so glad it was only a $300 19" tire and not the 21s. We have pretty good roads here in FL - unlike the UK. I'd strongly suggest you testdrive both of them if you have the time.

The 19s (1) give better range, (2)will last twice as long (at least) and (3) be half the cost to replace.

The only reason to get 21s is aesthetics and if you have a job as an extra the next Fast&Furious movie. For normal driving their increased performance doesn't justify the cost, unless you are really driving aggressively. For aesthetics it is pure opinion and you should get what you enjoy looking at.

The only benefit from the 21" rims is the look. Yes the performance is apparently better but do you need it on regular roads. Here are the drawbacks.

1. Rims much more vulnerable to damage from potholes and rim rash
2. Tires more expensive to replace
3. Tires need to be replaced much earlier than the 19's
4. Ride definitely harsher

You forgot to mention the biggest drawback ... the significant decrease in range. A 10 - 15% reduction on the Model X with 22" wheels.

Model X range.PNG

The only benefit from the 21" rims is the look.
Yes the performance is apparently better but do you need it on regular roads. Here are the drawbacks.

1. Rims much more vulnerable to damage from potholes and rim rash
2. Tires more expensive to replace
3. Tires need to be replaced much earlier than the 19's
4. Ride definitely harsher

Have to add one other clarification ... you seem to be confusing "better handling" with "drives better on wet roads." These 2 things are not the same at all. The 21s (theoretically maybe really) increase high speed handling and turning, like on a race track. They will NOT offer better 'handling' in routine traffic, on a wet road. In fact, they're likely to handle worse, based primarily on the stiffer rubber, which grips better when really hot and worse when even slightly cold, and worse yet when wet.

21s are primarily about looks, 19s are better at either EVERYTHING else, or at almost everything else.