Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheels / Alloys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do like good looking Alloy;, for me they make the car and unfortunately there is little choice on the M3. I really HATE that airflow cover and I believe that there are an acceptable set of alloys beneath them, worryingly there is nothing on the Tesla web site to show that. I'd appreciate a decent close up photo of the alloy beneath that covers to help make a choice of going for the 19" or not.

On that question same question, apart from 'looks' I presume there is a downside to opting for the 19" wheels e.g. reduced range?

I have the standard 18s and part of me wishes I went for the 19s. They fill the arches out better and just look nicer.

Bottom pics are. my own car on standard suspension.

1458216-00-A_0.jpg

IMG_20210924_204918.jpg

IMG_20210924_204918.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Forty_Two
I grant you, aero covers are a bit ‘marmite’.
I took mine off early on but put them back on recently for a long trip to improve range and I’ll leave them on for winter.
the 18’s are marginally less prone to kerb rash and a softer ride. Also less prone to pothole damage.
But, it’s all down to personal choice!

The 18s certainly are a comfortable ride, which is what I wanted. Just the looks compared to the 19s.

Incidentally I had this loaner M3 with 19s when mine was in the service centre. Certainly fills the arches better, though I'm not keen on the black wheels for a blue car.

IMG_20210809_111848.jpg

Last edited:
Some strategically placed foam pad stickers solves the rubbing issue on the aero covers, stuck to the back of the covers themselves of course. Near the outer edges, the covers still fit flush.

Useful if the covers are used intermittently or over winter.

Some strategically placed foam pad stickers solves the rubbing issue on the aero covers, stuck to the back of the covers themselves of course. Near the outer edges, the covers still fit flush.

Useful if the covers are used intermittently or over winter.
Could you post some pictures to help identify where to put the pads?
I took mine off the weekend I picked up the car. It looked like they would rub where the clips attach on to the spokes?
I like the look of the bare alloy but would also like to be confident in using the covers during winter etc

I’m having the same dilemma - I much prefer the 19s to go with my white LR but at £1500 it is an insane amount for alloys considering my car will be a lease so will never see the financial benefit. It would also turn a decent lease deal at £442 on a 9+35 into something less favourable. I’m less worried about the range but more interested in the impact the 19s will have on the ride quality and road noise.

Surely this must be wrong . . .
I can buy a set of 4 x 19" alloys with tyres for £1,300 - why would I pay Tesla £1,500 ?

I wonder what I would get selling for 4 new Tesla 18" wheels on eBay?

Surely this must be wrong . . .
I can buy a set of 4 x 19" alloys with tyres for £1,300 - why would I pay Tesla £1,500 ?

I wonder what I would get selling for 4 new Tesla 18" wheels on eBay?
I presume by your comment that you’ve never priced out OEM wheels from any car company versus the prices for aftermarket ones?

Reactions: s88ats and init6