Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheels rubbing or slipping?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,
I'm new to the forum. I just took delivery of my long range S. I added the staggered upgrade wheels. When I reverse out of my driving in the morning, the wheels rub or hit something when I'm turning. It happens hard on reverse and more subtle in drive. The steering wheels physically jerks when I'm turning. This seems to mostly go away when the car has been driven for a while.

I took it into tesla and the advisor stated the suspension is set correctly and that it's the tires. The tires are not made to be driven in weather under 40 degrees. He also stated that it wasn't rubbing. He explained it as the wheels almost slipping. Of course it was much harder to replicate since I drove for 30 minutes to get to the service center.

This just doesn't seem normal, so I'm reaching out to get opinions on what the community might think it is and how I should proceed. It seems like a car of this value shouldn't do anything like this, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey All,
I'm new to the forum. I just took delivery of my long range S. I added the staggered upgrade wheels. When I reverse out of my driving in the morning, the wheels rub or hit something when I'm turning. It happens hard on reverse and more subtle in drive. The steering wheels physically jerks when I'm turning. This seems to mostly go away when the car has been driven for a while.

I took it into tesla and the advisor stated the suspension is set correctly and that it's the tires. The tires are not made to be driven in weather under 40 degrees. He also stated that it wasn't rubbing. He explained it as the wheels almost slipping. Of course it was much harder to replicate since I drove for 30 minutes to get to the service center.

This just doesn't seem normal, so I'm reaching out to get opinions on what the community might think it is and how I should proceed. It seems like a car of this value shouldn't do anything like this, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
This has been covered many times. It’s normal. Due to the camber setup and aggressive summer tires in cold climes (like MI this time of year) you may want to invest in some suitable tires for the winter. High performance summer tires and Michigan weather don’t mix.

It’s also referred to as the bunny hop, and is because of lack of grip (most obviously at full lock - it’s your front tires). Once the tires are warmed up this does subside some. You won’t have this problem when the weather warms up.

Tesla did list some winter tires/wheels combo this evening, but they sold out very quickly.

Upvote 0
This has been covered many times. It’s normal. Due to the camber setup and aggressive summer tires in cold climes (like MI this time of year) you may want to invest in some suitable tires for the winter. High performance summer tires and Michigan weather don’t mix.

It’s also referred to as the bunny hop, and is because of lack of grip (most obviously at full lock - it’s your front tires). Once the tires are warmed up this does subside some. You won’t have this problem when the weather warms up.

Tesla did list some winter tires/wheels combo this evening, but they sold out very quickly.

They sure did!

Reactions: WilliamG
Upvote 0
Same issue but not only when tires cold. Always while parking or sharp turns. Was told this is “indicative” of car and nothing can be done by Tesla service people. Crazy the performance tires on Mercedes’ never did this. Why is this ok? Really disappointed.

Upvote 0
Same issue but not only when tires cold. Always while parking or sharp turns. Was told this is “indicative” of car and nothing can be done by Tesla service people. Crazy the performance tires on Mercedes’ never did this. Why is this ok? Really disappointed.
It's not (okay). Wheel alignment may be off and those 21" summers do this on the MS.... 19" all seasons do not.

Upvote 0