Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheels/tires directional?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to replace 2 drivers side wheels/tires due to a pothole induced blow. Have a complete wheel/tire package coming. Can the fronts/rears be interchanged between drivers side or passenger side or are the wheels and/or tires directional.

I have to replace 2 drivers side wheels/tires due to a pothole induced blow. Have a complete wheel/tire package coming. Can the fronts/rears be interchanged between drivers side or passenger side or are the wheels and/or tires directional.
When I asked earlier about tire rotation, I was told that when rotating tires they should be front to back. This would indicate that they are directional. Not sure what the failure mode would be if you took the right rear and made it left front and installed the new tires on the rear.

When I asked earlier about tire rotation, I was told that when rotating tires they should be front to back. This would indicate that they are directional. Not sure what the failure mode would be if you took the right rear and made it left front and installed the new tires on the rear.
The tread of the OE 19" Continental ProContact RX tires and the 20" Goodyear Eagle F1 tires on the Long Range Model Y are not directional. On the Long Range Model Y Tesla's recommended tire rotation is front to back. (You can't rotate the tires on the Performance Model Y front to back as the rear are wider than the front.)

These two statements seem contradictory.
How so? The Long Range Model Y originally came with either 19" (standard) or 20" (optional) wheels. The OE 19" tire was the Continental Procontact RX. The OE 20" tire was the Goodyear Eagle F1. The tread on these two model tires is not unidirectional. The Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual currently states:

"Vehicles with staggered wheels (i.e. Performance Model Y) and non-directional tires can be rotated side-to-side (left-to-right) but not front-to-back as the front and rear tire size is different. Left-to-right rotation can increase tread life by changing the direction of rotation for each tire and balancing shoulder wear.

The Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual does not currently state how you should rotate non-staggered tires. It is my understanding that Tesla Mobile Service will normally rotate tires front to back (where applicable). Left to right rotation would require jack stands. I do not know if Tesla Mobile Service is able to perform left to right and cross over tire rotation.

If they are non-directional, you can do a cross rotation. Not that you HAVE to.
While it’s true that you can cross rotate non-directional tires, it doesn’t prevent Tesla from recommending front to back only.

That being said, it’s more likely it isn’t anything other than simplifying the process because the jack points can raise the entire half of the car, rather than just a corner like most cars.

The Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual does not currently state how you should rotate non-staggered tires. It is my understanding that Tesla Mobile Service will normally rotate tires front to back (where applicable). Left to right rotation would require jack stands. I do not know if Tesla Mobile Service is able to perform left to right and cross over tire rotation.
You could do it without jack stands, it just requires an additional wheel and more work. Pick a corner, lift, swap with the extra wheel, then lower. Move to the next corner in rotation and repeat until you’re back to the first corner and swap out the extra wheel.

With a mobile service appoint for tire rotation, they can easily prepare an extra wheel… but whether they’re willing to put the extra work is a different story.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe