Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheels/tires directional?

Jun 6, 2020
atlanta
I have to replace 2 drivers side wheels/tires due to a pothole induced blow. Have a complete wheel/tire package coming. Can the fronts/rears be interchanged between drivers side or passenger side or are the wheels and/or tires directional.

philpkeller

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
May 3, 2021
Bay Area, Ca
I have to replace 2 drivers side wheels/tires due to a pothole induced blow. Have a complete wheel/tire package coming. Can the fronts/rears be interchanged between drivers side or passenger side or are the wheels and/or tires directional.
When I asked earlier about tire rotation, I was told that when rotating tires they should be front to back. This would indicate that they are directional. Not sure what the failure mode would be if you took the right rear and made it left front and installed the new tires on the rear.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
When I asked earlier about tire rotation, I was told that when rotating tires they should be front to back. This would indicate that they are directional. Not sure what the failure mode would be if you took the right rear and made it left front and installed the new tires on the rear.
The tread of the OE 19" Continental ProContact RX tires and the 20" Goodyear Eagle F1 tires on the Long Range Model Y are not directional. On the Long Range Model Y Tesla's recommended tire rotation is front to back. (You can't rotate the tires on the Performance Model Y front to back as the rear are wider than the front.)

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC