Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheels wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I finally took the the plunge and ordered a Model Y Performance. My first Tesla!

I choose the Performance Upgrade package (including the 21” wheels) but I am really concerned about the drop in range and the likelihood of cracking the rims (live in DC where there’s a pothole on every block). I would like to swap out the tires for the the 20” induction wheels and will make a trade if needed.

Does anyone know if I did that, would I be able to bring the range back up to 315 miles? Do you have any recommendations for what I can do as far as wheels or other modifications to bring back the range?

Thank you!

I opted out of the performance package, but I hated leaving $$ on the table. I'm hoping the wheels behind Gemini's "aero" covers is decent looking enough for around town. Anybody have pictures of the actual wheel?

Why Tesla don't also adjust the range when you choose the 20" wheels on the LR AWD version.
It seems that there is no penalty then which those wheels?

Note: If the Model Y has the same battery than the Model 3, but the tires are wider (255 mm on the model Y and 235 mm on the Model 3),
and the Model Y is taller and heavier than the Model 3, I am puzzle how the Model Y seems to have such great mileage?

Why Tesla don't also adjust the range when you choose the 20" wheels on the LR AWD version.

Note: If the Model Y has the same battery than the Model 3, but the tires are wider (255 mm on the model Y and 235 mm on the Model 3),
and the Model Y is taller and heavier than the Model 3, I am puzzle how the Model Y seems to have such great mileage?
the 19 and 20 inch wheels both have the same tire diameter and so get the same range. the 21's are slightly larger and so lose a bit. and as for having similar range, elon has said they have made some other incremental improvements in the software for the Y (and if you saw, there was an article from consumer reports saying they actually got closer to 350 from a 3). i also was reading about the new wiring, and they have reduced copper wire from 1500 meters in the 3 to 300 meters in the y, with a weight reduction.

i love the way they are always making small improvements.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Does anyone know if I did that, would I be able to bring the range back up to 315 miles? Do you have any recommendations for what I can do as far as wheels or other modifications to bring back the range?
Get the 19” Gemini wheels for the best range. 20” might be close but they will have less sidewall and less rim protection. It will be easy to find someone with which to swap 19” wheels (plus cash).
I'm hoping the wheels behind Gemini's "aero" covers is decent looking enough for around town. Anybody have pictures of the actual wheel?
19" Gemini wheels
the 19 and 20 inch wheels both have the same tire diameter and so get the same range. the 21's are slightly larger and so lose a bit.
This is not correct. The actual differences in outer diameter of the tires here have a minuscule effect on range. Differences in wheel and tire aerodynamics, wheel and tire weight, and tire compound each affect range moreso than a slight change in tire OD.

The big unanswered question (AFAIK -- if it's been confirmed let me know!) is whether or not the PUP package on Y has a different offset, like the P3D, which would thus make the 19" Gemini and 20" Induction wheels not fit on a PYD+. There's also the larger brakes on the PYD+ that could affect alternative wheel options as well.

• Informative
Reactions: spsheridan
The big unanswered question (AFAIK -- if it's been confirmed let me know!) is whether or not the PUP package on Y has a different offset, like the P3D, which would thus make the 19" Gemini and 20" Induction wheels not fit on a PYD+. There's also the larger brakes on the PYD+ that could affect alternative wheel options as well.
The only clue we have at this point is that Performance Model Ys have been observed in public with the 20" Induction wheels. They could have prototype offsets or something, but it's the best info we have to go on until Tesla starts giving more details.

I'm just sad the Uberturbines appear to have staggered geometry.

Reactions: rklip
The only clue we have at this point is that Performance Model Ys have been observed in public with the 20" Induction wheels.
Plus, here's an example of the 19" wheels mounted on PUP brakes. The source image is from the thread I linked above. I cranked up the saturation (+50 in PS) to show the red caliper.

IMG_0440b.jpg

I would say it's highly likely that the same brake rotors and calipers are used across the 3/Y line. As evidenced above, it's also highly likely that the 19" and 20" wheels will fit on the Model Y Performance with PUP brakes.

I'm diving in head first. :mad:

As above 19s and 20s clear the red larger upgraded calipers.

Assuming the Y and 3 has the same bolt pattern, and the 20" Sportwheels can handle the load rating - I am going with this set up.

20200227_211913.jpg

d8a454c5cbbf2802dcbb45f0bf2b4dc005.jpg

Photo credit to orig posters:

Screenshot_20200301-160126_YouTube.jpg Screenshot_20200301-160227_YouTube.jpg Screenshot_20200301-160307_YouTube.jpg ijvdxi9a2u641.jpg

I have been back on forth on the performance upgrade package on the MY. In regards to just the wheels/tires.. For me I only want 1 set of wheels/tires, I have done the whole swap to winter tires for years.. just getting tired of that and honestly we have gotten far less snow over the past several years due to global warming that its becoming less of a big deal here

While the 21" wheels look great, it has three downsides,
  1. Very small tire-wall. Means lower ride quality and more likely to be damaged.
  2. Reduced range.
  3. Staggered wheels/tire size, means you can't rotate front to back which means your buying new tires more often.
The 19" Gemini has 1 downside,
  1. They don't look as cool.
So based on that, I have decided to remove the performance upgrade pack from my order.

All of that said, I am really upset I can't keep all the other parts of the performance upgrade pack and just stick with the Gemini wheels. I would love the upgraded brakes. don't really care about the lower ride height, actually that's more of a negative imo. You could say, well you can sell the 21" wheels and get the Gemini's, but honestly from what I have seen on the forums, very few want the 21" wheels. My guess is the Gemini's will be in demand while people try to ditch the 21" wheels. If I could have gotten the 20" induction wheels I would have just gotten them!

Bummer that 20" Induction wheels (which I think look the best of all options), are not available for the Performance option Model Y. Performance Upgrade gives you one choice: 21’’ Überturbine Wheels (nice looking, highly impractical in a pothole city area).
Non Performance Upgrade gives you one choice: 19’’ Gemini Wheels (hideous looking, highly practical).

Of all the "in the wild" photos of the Model Y on car carriers, in parking lots, etc. I only ever see the 20" Induction wheels. Has anyone actually seen the 21’’ Überturbine Wheels in the wild?

Reactions: rklip
It would be awesome to pick selected items from the performance upgrade package. Since you’re paying for it anyway.

from Tesla site:
  • Increased top speed from 145mph to 155mph
  • 21’’ Überturbine Wheels
  • Performance Brakes
  • Lowered suspension
  • Aluminum alloy pedals
I would want the increase in speed, the aluminum pedals, the red performance brakes, and 20 inch wheels (vs 21 inch).

I don’t want the the lowered suspension or the 21 inch wheels. I know it makes assembling more efficient and that’s why they don’t allow selecting individual elements. Ah, but it’s nice to dream. Feel free to tweet Elon and suggest. :)

It would be awesome to pick selected items from the performance upgrade package. Since you’re paying for it anyway.

from Tesla site:
  • Increased top speed from 145mph to 155mph
  • 21’’ Überturbine Wheels
  • Performance Brakes
  • Lowered suspension
  • Aluminum alloy pedals
I would want the increase in speed, the aluminum pedals, the red performance brakes, and 20 inch wheels (vs 21 inch).

I don’t want the the lowered suspension or the 21 inch wheels. I know it makes assembling more efficient and that’s why they don’t allow selecting individual elements. Ah, but it’s nice to dream. Feel free to tweet Elon and suggest. :)

I think most people feel the same way, keep the same ride height and 20" vs 21" would have been a better option.

The lowered ride height is probably 10-15mm like the M3P+. Nothing 98% of people are likely to benefit, or suffer, from.

While I am also in the camp of wanting the 20's on the P+, it does make sense how they are having this trim mirror the Model 3 Performance in terms of upgrade specs (summer rubber, stiffer/lower suspension, spoiler, top speed, etc.).

So if seemingly smaller, or even annoying differences for many of us, once YouTube clowns and testers start getting the vehicle in hand and start performance comping it to things like a X3 M or AMG GLC63s, there will be less base spec variance. And everyone in Palo Alto and Hawthorne will be happy with the results and press as was the case for the M3P+.

Last edited:
^^^^ @rklip agree

You need to lube the calipers. What is beautiful is this is the only maintenance and changing filters and checking levels :D. I see change to winters, lube calipers, change to summers, lube calipers. I will stick with the top tier binned model for sure. Most likely will not regret it.

Guess we will need to wait for power train and battery day to get your answers. Remember that the 0.7 scalar was not used and it is some hocus pocus mathematics. The true tests will be when they arrive at peoples homes. The only thing that explains it now is better battery/power train. Blows your mind!

i also was reading about the new wiring, and they have reduced copper wire from 1500 meters in the 3 to 300 meters in the y, with a weight reduction.

Is it now confirmed that it was implemented into the Y? The patent of one huge casting was also detailed.