Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheels without TPMS warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Either way I don’t know why they were so much. I got them direct from Tesla for 75-80 each. (usd)
If you search around for the Model Y / 2021 Model 3 TPMS sensors here, you'll see that the price and availability has been all over the place, so it just matters where/when you bought. Some people got them for $80, some people were quoted $120+, some people are told they are unobtanium.

Just par for the course with Tesla! But it's not surprising that you got them for $80 and now someone today gets a higher quote (especially in a totally different country!)

I assume it enabled rear heated seats if you have that sw feature unlocked, yes?

I once had a CAN bus (or maybe it was LIN bus since it was windows and door locks stuff) module installed in my VW that would give extra features based on how you tapped or clicked existing buttons. press up/down/up or something like that and it triggered a full rollup or down or car lock.

basically, it listens for messages and if it finds the signature button taps in the right seq and timing, it will generate a new message and send it.

is that what this bonus module does? adds convenience based on 'coded' presses of existing buttons? that sounds interesting, if so. otoh, the bus is not a public API and tesla can change things at any time and break any installed hw you put in.
Actually the rear seat heaters are unlocked for control via window switch or Bonus module web interafce without paying for sw feature unlock. You just won't be able to control via car touchscreen interface (or Tesla app) unless you have paid (or initially received) for rear heated seats. The Bonus module is connected on the main bus interface on ECU/MCU located on the passenger side which allows it to intercept and alter meassages on the CAN bus. So yes if Tesla makes a total change to their message structure the unit will stop working without an update. The unit includes a USB interface for making updates if something like this should occur. Ingenext also has a default setting on Bonus modules to prevent automatic Tesla software updates so you can check status on Ingenext website on whether it is safe to perform update without breaking Bonus module functionality. They unsually confirm within 2-4 weeks of intial new software releases if software update is safe. By keeping my car at normal software update schedule instead of advanced, I think there was only once when my car notified of an update that Ingenext website was not already indicating safe to update (and that one time website confirmed safe within 2 days).

One of the features if gives you is automatic driver door opening as you approach using phone as key. When if detects bluetooth key within a certain range (sensitivity setable via bonus module web interface), it seems to issue a command on the bus equivalent to pressing the interior door release button for the drivers door such that the door will partially open (assuming the door hinges and latch are located properly) avoiding the need to press in handle to open door.

It also has features for automatic handsfree trunk and frunk opening by using the corresponding ultrasonic sensors on the driver side with bluetooth key proximity. When enabled, stand within 1 ft of corresponding sensor for 5 seconds (will see either tail light or head light flash rapidlly as confirmation) then step back to approx 3 ft and trunk/frunk will open. For 2021 models with power trunk the same procedure also closes the trunk.

I had one bad experience with a CAN bus message injector thing. it was on a VW and the main thing I wanted it for was to lock all doors and roll up all windows, via a button on the fob. you would press A/B/A or like that to trigger it.

well, one time I went to a mall for some small thing. luckily I was only in the store for a short while. it was raining like hell. you can tell where this was going.

yes, I came back to a car with ALL THE WINDOWS DOWN in the pouring rain. I guess something triggered that as I walked away or something. could even be noise on the line that might have triggered it (although that only happened once in the 14 or so years I had it).

as soon as I could, I removed that little PIC module from my door skin and never looked back.

that was a long time ago. I bought the module and it mostly worked but that one time .... that ONE TIME. wow. what a bad day that was. laughing now but was not funny on that day.

just a word of caution about bus talkers. I'm not against them, but its worth being circumspect about it.

Noted but I've had my Ingenext Bonus module operating in my car since January with no issues. Issue could have been quality and knowledge of manufacturer for VW module. Ingenext has other business by providing means to reuse Tesla drive systems in other project cars using their own developed interface/controller so I figure they have pretty good knowledge/experience on what is safe to play with.
I had one bad experience with a CAN bus message injector thing. it was on a VW and the main thing I wanted it for was to lock all doors and roll up all windows, via a button on the fob. you would press A/B/A or like that to trigger it.

well, one time I went to a mall for some small thing. luckily I was only in the store for a short while. it was raining like hell. you can tell where this was going.

yes, I came back to a car with ALL THE WINDOWS DOWN in the pouring rain. I guess something triggered that as I walked away or something. could even be noise on the line that might have triggered it (although that only happened once in the 14 or so years I had it).

as soon as I could, I removed that little PIC module from my door skin and never looked back.

that was a long time ago. I bought the module and it mostly worked but that one time .... that ONE TIME. wow. what a bad day that was. laughing now but was not funny on that day.

just a word of caution about bus talkers. I'm not against them, but its worth being circumspect about it.

Reactions: MaxwellN22