Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheels without TPMS warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will be on your screen constantly. You can swipe it to minimize it some, but it still is a circle with an "I" (I)nformation. Having it there all winter would likely make you ignore it, however its possible that you might not notice some other warning.

The bluetooth TPMS are somewhat expensive, sure, but its one purchase for years, right? I am firmly in the camp of "dont understand why someone would be caring about stuff like "flow formed vs cast wheels", but be ok with having an error message on the screen all winter.

FYI, you can't dismiss the error for very long. Tesla has a pretty stupid UI in this area. If you dismiss it, it stays dismissed until some other message pops up, then that new message un-pops ALL messages, and you have to re-hide it after it appears.

The messages that pop up here? Every single AP message. Just turning AP on pops it back up. Putting your foot on the throttle pops it up. Getting even the first level of "hands on the wheel" pops it up.....

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
FYI, you can't dismiss the error for very long. Tesla has a pretty stupid UI in this area. If you dismiss it, it stays dismissed until some other message pops up, then that new message un-pops ALL messages, and you have to re-hide it after it appears.

The messages that pop up here? Every single AP message. Just turning AP on pops it back up. Putting your foot on the throttle pops it up. Getting even the first level of "hands on the wheel" pops it up.....

thank you. I’ll get them.

thank you. I’ll get them.
You might want to consider the Bonus module from Ingenext (Quebec based company) which is about the same price as four bluetooth TPMS sensors from Tesla and disables warnings for bluetooth TPMS sensors. It is unclear how long the batteries in these sensors will last as they are so new plus when I got my 2021 3 SR+ in December, Tesla did not have enough stock to meet demand. The bonus module also includes other features such as winter wiper mode that automatically puts wipers in service mode whren the vehicle is placed in park and the exterior temp is below 0 deg C. Definitely useful for Canadian winters. I am happy with my bonus module but you get alot more value on SR+ as it also enables heated rear seats via window switch controls.

Reactions: Darmie
Have the place swapping your wheels pull them out of the stockers.

the place I had do my wheels offered to do it for 20 a pop (80 total)

that said, I just bought new ones.

seemed silly to skimp when I was paying 2k for new wheels and tires already…

I’m probably going to get them. I sold my stickers completes. So it’s just kinda tough spending $1200cad (2 sets of wheels) for sensors that never seem to be accurate anyways.

can I afford $1200? Sure. Do I see the value in it? Not at all.

You might want to consider the Bonus module from Ingenext (Quebec based company) which is about the same price as four bluetooth TPMS sensors from Tesla and disables warnings for bluetooth TPMS sensors. It is unclear how long the batteries in these sensors will last as they are so new plus when I got my 2021 3 SR+ in December, Tesla did not have enough stock to meet demand. The bonus module also includes other features such as winter wiper mode that automatically puts wipers in service mode whren the vehicle is placed in park and the exterior temp is below 0 deg C. Definitely useful for Canadian winters. I am happy with my bonus module but you get alot more value on SR+ as it also enables heated rear seats via window switch controls.
This sounds like a good option. I wasn't aware their bonus module had this feature. Good to know.

How long are you planning to run the snows? If it's just for a short time, then I understand not wanting to spend the extra for the sensors. The warnings pop up anytime there are other warnings. So, you can swipe away the warning of the TPMS but any other warning and it will be back in your face.

I assume it enabled rear heated seats if you have that sw feature unlocked, yes?

I once had a CAN bus (or maybe it was LIN bus since it was windows and door locks stuff) module installed in my VW that would give extra features based on how you tapped or clicked existing buttons. press up/down/up or something like that and it triggered a full rollup or down or car lock.

basically, it listens for messages and if it finds the signature button taps in the right seq and timing, it will generate a new message and send it.

is that what this bonus module does? adds convenience based on 'coded' presses of existing buttons? that sounds interesting, if so. otoh, the bus is not a public API and tesla can change things at any time and break any installed hw you put in.