Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When and how to get the $5000 refund?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, nothing like some refund controversy to stir it up in TMC!

Prices dropping which is usually a good and expected thing with a brand new product has really stirred it up! Prices will continue to drop I hope and without a 30 day price guarantee customers who were on the cusp will feel screwed again. Perhaps there would be cases where a customer accepted a car with damage, and while its getting fixed the price might drop before they even get to drive their cars.

That's your lesson Tesla! 30 Day Price Guarantee! This keeps the momentum with sales and changing prices, and keeps the customers wanting to buy immediately, without worry they need to "Hold off for the next price drop"

To play devils advocate: If P3D- also get the $5k refund for the free PUP then AWD might be next to feel screwed, as the cost difference between AWD and P3D is now smaller and those buyers could have afforded P3D if they bought today. All Teslas options basically suck at this point, except taking away Elons twitter access lol. It was a huge mistake #1 to drop price before year end, and #2 to offer refunds instead of credits good toward service/supercharger/FSD/EAP or a future Tesla.

Big picture, PUP is now free, and included with all P3 cars. Last month the price was 5k more, and with FUSC. This month the price is 5k less without FUSC. Nobody was retroactively charged 5k, you never bought the option that is now free.

The crappy part: P3D- bought by an early adopter and delivered a month ago, now costs the same as the P3D today with the PUP included for free. One who was such an enthusiast might have bought a P3D- because he planned on replacing all brakes, tire and rims on the car and tracking it every weekend. These kind of enthusiasts of course rightly go to the forums when they feel screwed to discuss it. They don't even have a path toward track mode yet except a tweet.

To prove the P3D- lost value; let’s imagine the website offered both the P3D- and P3D+ for sale right now at the same price. Only the + has Track mode listed under the specifications.

How many orders do you think Tesla would get for the -? I’m not a statistician, but I’d venture to guess it would be low... very low.

I almost view the prior P3D- as a performance model with inherently better range and all season driving out of the box. If I still lived in NY and wanted to drive this car all year I would have got performance without PUP to get better stock rubber. Also the range is likely somewhat better.

So if both were still offered today I think there is definitely a market for people wanting a stock all season performance model 3.

• Disagree
Reactions: Perry and MP3Mike
I almost view the prior P3D- as a performance model with inherently better range and all season driving out of the box. If I still lived in NY and wanted to drive this car all year I would have got performance without PUP to get better stock rubber. Also the range is likely somewhat better.

So if both were still offered today I think there is definitely a market for people wanting a stock all season performance model 3.

Apparently the PS4s have better wet weather capability than the Primacys. Based on my experience in cold rain, I have no faith with these tires in anything other than dry conditions.

I’d rather have all the upgraded parts and plan on buying new tires than not be left with tangible hardware of monetary value.

Reactions: Perry
Apparently the PS4s have better wet weather capability than the Primacys. Based on my experience in cold rain, I have no faith with these tires in anything other than dry conditions.

I'm sure they do above 40 degrees.

Below that they'd be comparative death traps in wet weather compared to all season tires.... so for folks who live where it ever gets cold the choice is either own a second set of tires and swap winter/summer wheels twice a year, or run compromise all seasons on one set year-round.

Only place having JUST a set of summers (even great summers like the PS4s) is practical is places you'll never ever need to drive it when it's cold (and especially cold and at all wet)

I’d rather have all the upgraded parts and plan on buying new tires than not be left with tangible hardware of monetary value.

Again, many consider the 20s a downgrade since they're heavier, reduce range, require a lower profile tire, and don't offer the ability to run any tire wider than the 18s do.

I'd have happily paid tesla 1k to get PS4s on the stock 18s, but I wouldn't have paid a penny to get the 20s with any tire on em.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Has anyone decided with the P3D+ configuration NOT give up the Free SuperCharging for $5,000? If so, can you share your thoughts? I intend to keep this car a very long time and wonder what EV rates may increase over the years. So, I've been hesitant to take the offer.

Has anyone decided with the P3D+ configuration NOT give up the Free SuperCharging for $5,000? If so, can you share your thoughts? I intend to keep this car a very long time and wonder what EV rates may increase over the years. So, I've been hesitant to take the offer.
[Poll] P3 Free Lifetime Unlimited Supercharging vs. $5,000 Refund

If you are concerned about electricity rates and you mostly charge at home, consider getting solar with the $5k refund.

Reactions: Jedi2155 and P85_DA
I disagree with your interpretation of the gibberish

You are welcome to do so, but I don't think your disagreement is fair in context of the discussions rather than just one sentence of one tweet.

When Fred Lambert originally called out Elon for shafting P3D+ buyers who bought early Elon said

"Didn't you get free Supercharging for life? current buyers don't get that"

When Fred pointed out FUSC was only "worth" $2000 when tesla used to sell it alone, Elon said

"It was underpriced. Anyway, if you want 5k refund & free Supercharging turned off, we will do that"

When someone else said Freds criticism was petulant, Elon replied

"It's a reasonable criticism. We wanted to make the awesome version of the Model 3 Performance more affordable, but it was arguably too much too soon. Taking corrective action..."

In context he's talking about the P3D+ in every single case here. Not the P3D-

Another thread was when @FactsDataTruth tweeted to Elon his P3D+ just lost 5k in value. That's when Elon said

"You're right. Earler Model 3 Performance buyers got free lifetime supercharging. Will add that to anyone who bought recently"

A reply pointed out FUSC isn't worth the 5k hit to early buyers who paid it, and musk replied

"Ok, we will turn off lifetime free supercharging and give you $5k refund"

Again pretty clear he's talking P3D+ people... the ones who actually PAID 5k, and thus COULD be refunded that 5k.

if you want to get on Musk to keep a promise he ACTUALLY MADE about non + cars, it would be where he was explicitly asked about P3D- cars getting PUP added to enable track mode.

Musk replied

"We will enable track mode for all performance cars"

Which tells me

A) - owners aren't getting PUP added to their cars (free or otherwise)
and
B) He intends to release a - version of track mode (or modify it to work on both)

B would be the promise he actually made for - cars. Not a 5k refund. Once you look at all the threads in context, not just one sentence of 1 confusingly written tweet.

• Disagree
Reactions: CullinKin and Perry
In context he's talking about the P3D+ in every single case here. Not the P3D-

FWIW (nothing yet probably) this is the response I received from Tesla today on my request for the 'refund'. Per my signature, my car is a Performance car sans 20" rims etc

Make of it what you will.

"Perfect. Per your request I have submitted this to finance and no further action is required on your end someone will be reaching out to you as soon as possible, Thank you ! "

Reactions: CullinKin
FWIW (nothing yet probably) this is the response I received from Tesla today on my request for the 'refund'. Per my signature, my car is a Performance car sans 20" rims etc

"Perfect. Per your request I have submitted this to finance and no further action is required on your end someone will be reaching out to you as soon as possible, Thank you ! "

Which method did you contact them, general customer support email, through your Tesla account, by phone? Good to see that they are entertaining the refund for P3D stealth. Was it explicit that you would be giving up FUSC in the communication?

Let us know. I got the canned denial today for my p3d-.

That's funny- since numerous folks have reported explicitly being told their P3D- cars aren't getting any refund.

We may disagree on what should happen with refunds, but I think we can all agree Tesla is horrific at getting their messaging straight.

Reactions: Perry and P85_DA
Which method did you contact them, general customer support email, through your Tesla account, by phone? Good to see that they are entertaining the refund for P3D stealth. Was it explicit that you would be giving up FUSC in the communication?

Website page is where my communications began. I will say this, when I asked if I was eligible there were multiple replies one saying ALL (their caps) Performance 3 owners. It wasn't till I explicitly I asked for it that I got that reply

me -> " At this point I'm thinking to request the 'refund' ..."

So I have no details yet but I expect my free supercharging to be exchanged for the $ (or so I hope)

Here’s the response I got when requesting a refund for my AWD+. Guess it depends on who reads your email. Clearly no official process in place.

01C0503C-3C07-40CC-BAC8-0E85BF22A5C4.jpeg

Reactions: juanmedina
Here’s the response I got when requesting a refund for my AWD+. Guess it depends on who reads your email. Clearly no official process in place.

View attachment 352714

Did you email Tesla through your account or just sent an email to customer service?

I find that reply encouraging it seems that they are trying to do something about this mess.

You should update your signature if you are going to call your car and AWD +..... mine has a red line under dual motors so I will call it performance :p.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
Did you email Tesla through your account or just sent an email to customer service?

I find that reply encouraging it seems that they are trying to do something about this mess.

You should update your signature if you are going to call your car and AWD +..... mine has a red line under dual motors so I will call it performance :p.
I emailed Tesla through my account and chose escalate to management. Took less than a day for them to respond.

I have AWD P in my signature, but @Msjulie doesn't like P3D- (and she convinced me), so I removed it. I purposely put AWD+ so people would know it's Performance without PUP. Too many names floating around for us Performance peeps without PUP.

Reactions: Msjulie
I emailed Tesla through my account and chose escalate to management. Took less than a day for them to respond.

I have AWD P in my signature, but @Msjulie doesn't like P3D- (and she convinced me), so I removed it. I purposely put AWD+ so people would know it's Performance without PUP. Too many names floating around for us Performance peeps without PUP.

which option do you picked? sales? or which one?

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA