Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When are auto extending door handles coming (or not)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/punch-list?page=8

with the Technology package, the car will sense the key at a certain proximity and unlock the car without you ever having to do anything but walk up and touch the door handle so that you may enter the vehicle. Without the tech package, you would be required to push the unlock button on the key FOB to unlock the car to gain access (not at all unlike what most cars require you to do).

I thought the handles would automatically extend with tech package based on proximity?

Update from Tesla:

Q: I recall reading on the feature list that with tech package the handles will automatically extend when the key fob is in proximity. It seems the wording had now changed on this. Is the plan still to eventually implement this feature in a future update?

You are correct, that was the plan. As it stands now, they will be unlocked, but you must touch the handle to initiate the presentation of the door handles. We would like to roll out the full feature of automatic presentation, but a time-line has not been established.

Last edited:
According to Elon himself, the handles should come out automatically

Tesla Model S - rear view and handle - YouTube
That YouTube video is quite dated. The original plan was automatically extending door handles. They had trouble with their reliability as you may recall. Tesla's new definition of automatic keyless entry apparently is automatic keyless unlocking.

The quote on post #1 in this tread is from an email in which I specifically asked my Tesla rep to describe the difference between keyless entry without the tech package and automatic keyless entry with the tech package in order to resolve this issue. By all means write your own reps to confirm if you wish.

That YouTube video is quite dated. The original plan was automatically extending door handles. They had trouble with their reliability as you may recall. Tesla's new definition of automatic keyless entry apparently is automatic keyless unlocking.

That really is disappointing.

The extending door handles was one of the reasons I got the tech package; it was one of those "cool" factors that set the Model S apart from other cars. But, I guess if your fob is in your pocket, bag or purse you don't have to fumble for it to open your car. Advantage.

I'm quite disappointed in this as well. There should have been some mention of the change instead of people finding out retroactively.
I know having to push it to show the handle will drive me nuts - mainly because the shiney chrome will end up with fingerprints that I'll end up feeling compelled to wipe off (yeah OCD)

Does anyone know if the "push-to-reveal-handle" is something purely mechanical or is it released/extended electronically?

Yeah, I also thought non tech package buyers wouldn't have to use the key fob to unlock the car. Does this mean if they press the handle then nothing will happen?

I was looking forward to auto extending because my 03 car already has buttons which are far quicker to press than pushing the door handle, waiting, and then pulling it out.

Seems like its all software because the proximity already knows if you are close, but is just checking when you press the doorhandle right now instead of all the time.

From these videos - it does look to me that it's not purely mechanical and that extension and retraction is electronic
Tesla Model S automatic door handle - YouTube

Tesla Model S amazing vanishing door handles - YouTube

Tesla model s door handle - jasoncalacanis's posterous

I do hope some kind of firmware will allow it to auto extend...

One problem I foresee - I hope tesla has thought of it - what if someone's fingers are in the handle when it's retraction?
I could see headlines "worlds first fingers lost from ev door handle" lol

also what about people who have snow/ice....

Anyone know how far the keyless unlock will function/react ?, Im a bit conserned about my car being open to anyone if Im in my garden (with the key forb in my pocket) - my model will be parked outside the street maybe only 5 meters away but I have no visible knowlegde about what happen to the car since it is parked on the other side of my fence.

Anyone know how far the keyless unlock will function/react ?, Im a bit conserned about my car being open to anyone if Im in my garden (with the key forb in my pocket) - my model will be parked outside the street maybe only 5 meters away but I have no visible knowlegde about what happen to the car since it is parked on the other side of my fence.

This won't be a problem. The maximum distance is three metres, but most likely it will be less (more like 1.5 metres) unless the fob battery is very new and there is no radio interference. In addition, the car will know if the fob is inside or outside and will not start if the fob is not inside.

That really is disappointing.

The extending door handles was one of the reasons I got the tech package; it was one of those "cool" factors that set the Model S apart from other cars. But, I guess if your fob is in your pocket, bag or purse you don't have to fumble for it to open your car. Advantage.

I agree, it's disappointing. My under $30k Kia Optima automatically sensors the key fob in my pocket. The interior lights go on when I approach the car and I push the button on the handle to unlock the car. Not that much different from the $3700 tech package--push on door handle and open the door.

Let me put it this way. I will be PISSED OFF if this promised feature doesn't materialize in an update. It is unacceptable to change this functionality. If the handles present automatically when you approach, the car is convenient to enter. If you have to press to present, then the car is less convenient than a car like my Prius.

Somebody (from Tesla) at one of the events told me that one of their concerns was that the car would have to transmit too often looking for the key fob. But my Prius wakes up he interior lights when you approach. Works fine.

I'm totally fine with a delayed feature while they tune it and perfect it, but dropping it would make me angry.

Let me put it this way. I will be PISSED OFF if this promised feature doesn't materialize in an update. It is unacceptable to change this functionality. If the handles present automatically when you approach, the car is convenient to enter. If you have to press to present, then the car is less convenient than a car like my Prius.

Somebody (from Tesla) at one of the events told me that one of their concerns was that the car would have to transmit too often looking for the key fob. But my Prius wakes up he interior lights when you approach. Works fine.

I'm totally fine with a delayed feature while they tune it and perfect it, but dropping it would make me angry.

Not that I'm saying this will happen, but the sad thing is: the MVPA we all sign basically says Tesla can change specs at will with or without notification and you still have to buy the car. So basically if they decided to nix them or any other feature you'd consider major, you may politely stuff yourself as far as recourse is concerned.

Not that I'm saying this will happen, but the sad thing is: the MVPA we all sign basically says Tesla can change specs at will with or without notification and you still have to buy the car. So basically if they decided to nix them or any other feature you'd consider major, you may politely stuff yourself as far as recourse is concerned.
Yep - just like they snuck in that so-called optional service agreement that if you don't buy it will void your warranty. (see the other thread) I signed my MVPA before they announced it. We're at their mercy. If stuff goes wrong, you can bet the early adopters will make a big stink here or blog about it. The real risk are on the early adopters.