Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When are auto extending door handles coming (or not)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally tried it. It's extraordinarily gentle. It won't be causing anyone any harm.

Alison van Diggelen: Prius Drivers Test Tesla Model S: Apple iPad on Wheels?

1. These snazzy door handles certainly look and act cool. Tesla Factory worker Charles Lambert said it best, they're "Oh so sexy." According to reports, they're not just eye candy, they actually improve the aerodynamics of the car. I understand they're fitted with an anti-break-your-fingers release mechanism, but when I checked it out, the handle gave me a good finger squeeze -- not in a good way. It stung. Maybe I'm extra sensitive, but I think Tesla should consider adjusting the specs just a tad.

I've been trying, not too successfully, to attenuate the amount of whining I'm doing around here. But this would be a very big disappointment for me. Honestly, getting the Tech package was a reach for me, but because of my love for the Prius smart key system I knew how much I really love that convenience and how much value a system like the auto-extending door handle would have for me over the life of the vehicle. While the Xenon headlamps, hard-drive nav, and such are nice, none would have been enough for me to spend nearly $4000 more for the tech package (indeed I would have leaned more toward the performance package).

Trying to be patient. Remembering that many of these things can (and likely will) be fixed or updated either by my first maintenance visit or wirelessly with a software update helps me stay somewhat more patient. But the uncertainty of knowing which will be fixed, which won't and wondering what other changes in counted-on features they're going to make makes me a bit more anxious than I already am.

Indeed. Tesla always says what is available NOW as opposed to how they want it to work. Like the lighted vanity mirrors for example. They removed reference to it until it was sorted out.
+1. Think of how many people would be upset if they got the car before the feature was implemented and they read in the owner's manual that the handles would extend but they won't extend in their car? Not every Tesla customer reads TMC 24 hours per day.

Since so many of us would like to see this feature reinstated at some point down the road it might behoove us to write / call our Tesla reps and request that it be implemented in a future update. If it's the kind of thing that is amenable to a software fix without requiring different sensors there's no reason they could not make it happen at some point given enough customer requests. It could be implemented as one of the "new" software features in the service plans. Giving Tesla constructive feedback is a positive way to approach the situation.

Since so many of us would like to see this feature reinstated at some point down the road it might behoove us to write / call our Tesla reps and request that it be implemented in a future update.
Please tell me where Tesla has said it was taken off the list? Bugging them to "reinstate" a feature that is simply delayed is just going to waste their customer reps time. Elon is in love w/ the handles so I'm confident he will make sure they auto-extend as soon as possible. Tesla needs to get cars shipped so they can book revenue and survive to build more cars and features.

Please verify that a feature has actually been removed from their development queue before launching a campaign to reinstate.

That's weird. I ha d the handle close on my fingers, and I agree at it was very gentle. No problem at all to extract my fingers. I do think the logic needs to be adjusted. I closed the door, then realized that I wanted to open it again, so I grabbed the handle and pulled, but the handle retracted. This was awhile ago so things may have improved.

Why would the handle ever continue retracting if you were touching it? I mean, it senses the touch right? Seems like they have basic safety covered (don't break fingers) but not the details right (auto extend when approaching car with key, immediately stop retracting when touched, etc.)

Hope the retracting handles don't become the "gull wing doors" of the Delorean....

I too hope this is fixed in the next few months with a software update.

Please see the first post of this thread and follow the link. You can also check with your rep for confirmation.

I followed your link and it goes to the forum. That's not official confirmation from Tesla, it's just forum posts. Not saying it's true or not one way or the other (though I'd be surprised if you didn't get it with a software update) - just saying that that information is not 'official'. No more than what I'm typing here...

So I also followed the link and then scanned through 9 pages finding nothing....the OP does contain a partial quote from an apparent mail but it's difficult to understand if there's any context when the link doesn't lead anywhere. :frown:

Mod Note: I have changed the thread title to reflect that this is a no more than a rumor. Any of the Mods will be happy to change it back if/when confirmed information becomes available.

It really makes more sense to print the information with the status of the product as it is now. Once it is upgraded it is a simple thing to send out information that the product has been upgraded and how to implement the new functionality. I'm holding out hope that this will stay a rumor.

Mod Note: I have changed the thread title to reflect that this is a no more than a rumor. Any of the Mods will be happy to change it back if/when confirmed information becomes available.

The source of the information comes directly from my Tesla rep. Feel free to ask yours. I do not post things on these forums without confirmation. From my post on Telsa forum:

Q&A with Tesla by email yesterday. I asked what's the difference between keyless entry (standard) and automatic keyless entry (tech package)? Has whatever is automatic been implemented yet in the cars being delivered or is it coming later as a software upgrade?

Answer: The difference is that with the Technology package, the car will sense the key at a certain proximity and unlock the car without you ever having to do anything but walk up and touch the door handle so that you may enter the vehicle. Without the tech package, you would be required to push the unlock button on the key FOB to unlock the car to gain access (not at all unlike what most cars require you to do).

I do believe that all of the cars we have delivered thus far have the technology package and the automatic keyless entry.

The source of the information comes directly from my Tesla rep. Feel free to ask yours. I do not post things on these forums without confirmation. From my post on Telsa forum:

Q&A with Tesla by email yesterday. I asked what's the difference between keyless entry (standard) and automatic keyless entry (tech package)? Has whatever is automatic been implemented yet in the cars being delivered or is it coming later as a software upgrade?

Answer: The difference is that with the Technology package, the car will sense the key at a certain proximity and unlock the car without you ever having to do anything but walk up and touch the door handle so that you may enter the vehicle. Without the tech package, you would be required to push the unlock button on the key FOB to unlock the car to gain access (not at all unlike what most cars require you to do).

I do believe that all of the cars we have delivered thus far have the technology package and the automatic keyless entry.

That sounds like they described current functionality and ignored your 2nd question. I don't see anywhere in there where they explicitly said that the auto-extending door handles were discontinued from being retrofitted later.

That sounds like they described current functionality and ignored your 2nd question. I don't see anywhere in there where they explicitly said that the auto-extending door handles were discontinued from being retrofitted later.
Automatic keyless entry was originally described as auto unlock plus auto extending door handles. According to my rep's response it is now just auto unlock. If he is correct, auto extending door handles are not now part of automatic keyless entry which has been redefined.

There is nothing to say that people must believe my rep's response. Please write your reps and get your own direct confirmation whether auto extending door handles are no longer part of automatic keyless entry and if not whether they are promised to be forthcoming as a software update in the not too distant future.

It's not about believing your rep, it's simply that your rep DID NOT say what you're saying that they said. The rep described current functionality (as we were told it would be at launch) and in no way said "the original functionality is not coming". Misinterpretation IMO, and the rumor tag should stay.

It's not about believing your rep, it's simply that your rep DID NOT say what you're saying that they said. The rep described current functionality (as we were told it would be at launch) and in no way said "the original functionality is not coming". Misinterpretation IMO, and the rumor tag should stay.
So check with you own rep and ask specifically. I sincerely hope the handles pop out in a future software update. Yet the Features web page now says, "When a driver approaches the vehicle with the key, the handles slide out and unlatch with a simple touch." With a simple touch, not automatically.

Last edited:
So check with you own rep and ask specifically. I sincerely hope the handles pop out in a future software update. Yet the Features web page now says, "When a driver approaches the vehicle with the key, the handles slide out and unlatch with a simple touch." With a simple touch, not automatically.

I'm not sure why we keep going round and round on this. As everyone has repeatedly stated: Tesla is presenting what the car can CURRENTLY do. Remember when the rear reading lights were removed from the site? And what was the explanation? That, until they made it back into production, Tesla felt it best to remove mention of the lights from the site. They've since been re-added.

I'm not saying that Tesla may not in the future drop them. Anything is possible. What I'm saying is that your rep's response does NOT indicate this, nor does the verbiage on the site indicate that they've been scrapped.

As an aside, I actually did ask my rep about this and other things during a phone call (given it was a month or so back). He confirmed that things like voice control, the app and the auto extending door handles will not make it into the car I initially receive, but would come with future updates and releases. Even then, reps have been known to give conflicting information -- thus I still agree with Nigel that this is a rumor until it can be (sadly) confirmed or 100% dismissed as untrue.

My rep described "automatic keyless entry" very clearly and his definition does not include auto extending door handles. What I asked for was clarification on automatic keyless entry, that is what he gave me and that is what I reported. No where did I ever say that Tesla said auto extending door handles would never be implemented. They are simply not now part of automatic keyless entry according to my rep. I do not misquote, mislead or start false rumors. I would appreciate if people do not attempt to put words in my mouth or accuse me of saying something I did not.