Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When are auto extending door handles coming (or not)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the verbiage changed in the latest manual. Maybe an upcoming update will make it happen. Is there a way to click the keyfob to make just the driver's door pop open without having to pull/touch the extended handle?

If your Model S is equipped with
the Tech Package option, walk
up to Model S when you have
your key with you, and the door
handles extend. Insert your hand
into the handle and pull to open
the door. Without this option,
press the handle when Model S is
unlocked.
You can open the trunk without
using the key simply by touching
the switch located under the
liftgate handle.

P/N: 1016932-00-A REV: AD

Looks promising then.

To further confuse matters the "P/N: 1016932-00-A REV: AE" version is showing on my mac info screen as version 1.4 while the "P/N: 1016932-00-A REV: AD" version is showing as version 1.6

Owner's Manual comparison.jpg

My guess is that they are worried about excessive incidental openings and closing of the door handles. I am actually fine with touching the door handles to have them extend, but hate the finger prints. They could make the behavior a setting, it would be cool at first, but long term I think that many people would change to having them only pop out on demand...

Omission of auto-extending handles is a dealbreaker as far as my wife and I are concerned. Our Prius, two Lexus and an infinity have keyless entry where the car detects the presence of the keyfob in you pocket and unlocks the car, so you only have to pull the handle to open the car. My wife said there is absolutely no way she would take a step backwards (i.e., press door handle, wait for it to extend, and then pull to open the door), and I have to agree with her. Once you become used to the convenience of the keyless system available on the Prius, Lexus, Infinity and other cars, there is no going back. I hope they implement the feature by the time my initial deferal runs up in March. I really would like to buy the model S if they address the omissions.

Omission of auto-extending handles is a dealbreaker as far as my wife and I are concerned. Our Prius, two Lexus and an infinity have keyless entry where the car detects the presence of the keyfob in you pocket and unlocks the car, so you only have to pull the handle to open the car. My wife said there is absolutely no way she would take a step backwards (i.e., press door handle, wait for it to extend, and then pull to open the door), and I have to agree with her. Once you become used to the convenience of the keyless system available on the Prius, Lexus, Infinity and other cars, there is no going back. I hope they implement the feature by the time my initial deferal runs up in March. I really would like to buy the model S if they address the omissions.

I thought the two step process would bother me as well, but it really becomes second nature. On the bright side you save a step in that you don't have a "start/ignition" button to press.

Omission of auto-extending handles is a dealbreaker as far as my wife and I are concerned.

Everyone has their own "dealbreaker" limits so I'm not criticising yours, but if there are specific bells and whistles that are so important then maybe it's worth considering alternatives and being an early adopter (which you will be even in March IMO) might not be for you.

NigelM, I don't have to look at another car. The Tesla is not to replace an existing car, but rather a supplemental car, one to have for the fun of it. Thus, I'm in no rush to get a car. I can wait.

As an aside, my wife just got rid of her 2.5 yr old Lexus, and is waiting for the arrival of the new Lexus in the next few weeks. This is not causing a hardship as we still have more cars than drivers.

Last edited: