Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When are we likely to see first Model 3 deliveries in Oz?

When are we likely to see first Model 3 deliveries in Oz?

• Early 19

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Mid 19

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Late 19

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Early 20

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Mid 20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Late 20

• Early 21

• Mid 21

• Late 21

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to a Tesla store a few weeks ago and the sales rep said the first Model 3 deliveries here would occur in January 2019. I am somewhat, if not very, sceptical that this will be the case. I'm mentally setting June 2019 as the date, anything ahead of that is a bonus.

I'm heartened the voting is primarily spread through 2019 dates. I'm still hanging for an early 2019 delivery based on my hope that RHD is a similar BoM to LHD so components won't be an issue, and that most/all the worms will have been worked out of production late this year, when their first RHD run would be.

Now that we don't have a car industry ourselves have any of our fearless leaders made noise about switching to the other side of the road for driving? Since reserving this thing I've finally paid attention to how few countries use RHD. I'd support a change, wonder if any politician would be brave enough to suggest it though.

my finger-in-the-air for Late 2019
  1. Tesla manufacturing is 6-months behind in the production ramp, so all capacity in 2018 will be directed to LHD backlog
  2. Re-tooling for RHD (Right-Hand-Drive) 4Q2018
  3. Assume they start RHD production in early 2019, then other larger RHD markets will be first
  4. 2Q2019 Oz vehicle certification start, 3-months to complete?
  5. 4Q2019 shipments to Oz start

Now that we don't have a car industry ourselves have any of our fearless leaders made noise about switching to the other side of the road for driving? Since reserving this thing I've finally paid attention to how few countries use RHD. I'd support a change, wonder if any politician would be brave enough to suggest it though.
The largest country to have done that post-war was Sweden in 1967. When you have a land border with other countries it's understandable and makes sense. The argument is less strong for islands, although Samoa did it in 2009.

The problem for Australia would be cost - we have about 900,000 kilometers of roads and think of all the road signs, signposts, line markings and intersections that would need to be changed. Then think of the less obvious things like large overhead variable road signs, traffic lights, monitoring cameras and in-ground road sensors that are now facing the wrong way or on the wrong side of the road.

The business case would be extremely weak. A lot of time and cost, and the only benefit might be car models arriving about 6 months earlier and possibly 10% lower cost.

When level 5 autonomous driving is pervasive, it won't matter any more.

9 December 2019 - five years after the S.
Here's another perspective. Australians could first reserve the Model X on 15 September 2014. The first deliveries here were made on 30 January 2017, some 868 days later. A long wait considering all the complications, delays and production issues they had with Model X.

Using that as a benchmark, Model 3, despite being far simpler to build, will actually take longer to get here. 868 days from the first day of Model 3 reservations will be 16 August this year. A late 2019 arrival would an astonishingly bad performance by Tesla. A 3-year wait is about the limit of acceptability, which puts it March/April next year.

I went to a Tesla store a few weeks ago and the sales rep said the first Model 3 deliveries here would occur in January 2019. I am somewhat, if not very, sceptical that this will be the case. I'm mentally setting June 2019 as the date, anything ahead of that is a bonus.
The sales reps don't know dick.
The long-term Tesla guys I know reckon 2nd half 2019.