Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

when are we (not so safe drivers) going to get the Super-Duper update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read where the "safe drivers" were to get this new FSD update a couple of months ago. when are the rest of us going to get it? if this has been beaten to death on this forum, then please just give me the short answer and point me to the thread if you don't mind. I cannot find it.

Musk tends to be overly optimistic when discussing when software updates are going to be released.

He usually runs beta software in his cars - and if they work for him, he appears to believe the software is ready to be released.

And it usually takes (much) longer before the software is distributed to everyone.

Early FSD customers (who saw no value in their purchase for a long time) are supposed to get Early Access to the new AP updates before they are released officially - so it's possible that group of early FSD owners could be the next to see the new FSD software, and then several weeks later it could be distributed to everyone else.

Patience...

If past Early Access in which I participated is a gage, when I tested traffic sign and signal recognition, it was about a month of testing/feedback/monitoring before a release to the "herd". Even after release there were several changes to the function. The timing was similar during Navigate on AP with route and auto lane change testing last year. I was concerned that Tesla's recognized "double lines" (no crossing legally), as well as considering the number of lanes needing to travers to exits (up to 6 on some roads here in ATL from HOV). With the testing and feedback, they got it right.

However, I think Tesla is "looking back" (correctly) to the original AP in 2016, when some drivers jumped the gun on FSD -- riding in the back seat, driving while watching movies (a fatal decision), trying to defeat the driver resistance on the steering wheel, putting their elderly mother behind the wheel to scare the hell out of her, etc. So as a result of these unanticipated behaviors it is now THOUGHTFUL AND SAFE. The complexity of surface road driving is so complex, Tesla has to defend and protect against the stupid and inattentive.

Since FSD at the street level is much more complex it will have to be vetted in software with many scenarios and driver protections. It most likely will, and should require serious testing even after the "very good and thoughtful drivers" are done and it moves to the Early Release Program for further testing by a larger population. If I were Tesla, I would be very cautious before trusting millions of diverse driving experiences and habits being unleashed on the public roads. I am willing to wait.

There is more at stake -- if this fails due to inattentive drivers or those jumping to level 5 autonomy, regulatory approval will be damaged for years.

Reactions: drtimhill
I read where the "safe drivers" were to get this new FSD update a couple of months ago. when are the rest of us going to get it? if this has been beaten to death on this forum, then please just give me the short answer and point me to the thread if you don't mind. I cannot find it.

IMO, It has nothing to do with safe drivers. Social Media influencers are the only drivers with the feature. It is also my understanding that all posted videos and reviews must meet "guidelines"

It's interesting that the early FSD testers are being allowed to post videos.

For FSD owners with Early Access, there was a "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" rule - the owners weren't allowed to even tell anyone they were running the early access software, let alone post videos...

Among Tesla's customers they are many who would provide Tesla valuable feedback by providing them access to alpha or beta test level software. This is something customers have been recommending since 2013...

Still, even if Musk thinks the software is ready - it's usually the last 10% of the capabilities that takes 90% of the time to complete...

Until we get the software - it's entertaining to watch videos of the other systems - such as a video we watched yesterday of GM's SuperCruise system - and how it's superior to Tesla because it supports hands free and use high resolution LIDAR maps (no LIDAR in their vehicles) vs. Tesla's inferior steering wheel sensors and in vehicle camera system.