Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When are you changing into winter tires for SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both cars already done as of last week.

The forecast is a high of 6 or 7C here in Toronto tomorrow and Thursday, thus it's time for winter tires. I always get mine done last week of October or first week of November

As soon as the weather forecast says there will be snow and it's going to stay. I personally don't care about the 7 °C rule that summer tires all out of a sudden lose friction once the temperature is below 7 °C, but that's a whole different discussion.
I guess it all depends on where you live. If the terrain here wasn't as flat as it is, I would probably switch sooner. Or if I depended on my car for work. Or if I had to ask someone to change the tires for me (I use an extra set of wheels with winter tires). If you call your local tire shop the day after it starts snowing, you might have a problem. In either of those cases it would make a lot of sense to switch sooner rather than later.

For those thst DIY, do you use jackstands?

Going to be doing my winter tire swap soon for the first time, and wanted to check with the community if placing jack stands on the suspension points as this YouTuber advises is prudent? Skip to 2:30 of the video.

I have regular 3 ton jack stands and I'm not interested in spending 150$ on tesla specific jack stands. Wondering if Jack stands on the suspension points is advisable.

Thanks!

As soon as the weather forecast says there will be snow and it's going to stay. I personally don't care about the 7 °C rule that summer tires all out of a sudden lose friction once the temperature is below 7 °C, but that's a whole different discussion.
I guess it all depends on where you live. If the terrain here wasn't as flat as it is, I would probably switch sooner. Or if I depended on my car for work. Or if I had to ask someone to change the tires for me (I use an extra set of wheels with winter tires). If you call your local tire shop the day after it starts snowing, you might have a problem. In either of those cases it would make a lot of sense to switch sooner rather than later.
I think it's more to do with the compound in the summer tires starting to get way too hard once the temp gets below 7 degrees vs the loss of friction/traction?

I always get mine done last week of Oct/First week of Nov on any car I've had summers on. If the car or SUV has all seasons, I'm less concerned about the timing.

Reactions: Vawlkus