Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When are you supposed to get your VIN?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious what the order of events with Tesla is supposed to be.

In my order status, under Overiew, it shows the order is:

✔ Order
✔ Prepare for Delivery
✔ Apointment
- VIN
- Payment
- Delivery

So I have my delivery appointment for this Saturday. I talked to my IDA yesterday and asked about the VIN, and she said it isn't assigned yet, and often isn't set until ~24-48 hours before delivery.

But I've seen in some of the order tracking threads, where someone else with pretty much the same configuration, is also picking up their car this Saturday, and not all that far away, but got their VIN 2 weeks ago.

If my car is "ready", where I could have already picked it up on Sunday, then it should be already built and already have a VIN on it?

If it matters, not trading in and not financing, so I don't need a VIN ahead of time for a loan application.

I wonder if they are just holding off on giving you the VIN since they know you don't need it in advance in case there's a last minute issue and they switch you. The idea that it wasn't assigned makes sense only if they have several identical cars on the lot (very possible) and they are not assigning any until the last minute.

• Disagree
Reactions: Clubhops10
I'm in a similar bind. My lender won't issue the loan until I provide proof that the vehicle has been added to my insurance policy. GEICO won't add the vehicle to the policy unless I provide the VIN. My IDA hasn't responded to emails in the past couple days. So the process is deadlocked until I can get a VIN. Delivery is scheduled for a week from today, Sep. 12. Like many of my operational interactions with Tesla, starting with my Model S a couple years ago, this is frustrating.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Have you tried calling Nevada for the VIN? I’m scheduled for 10/1 but the only contact I’ve had is from people in Nevada. They listed a phone number of (888) 771-2505

The delivery scheduling team in Nevada are responsible for scheduling time for your delivery only. They don't have any info on the VIN.

But he said he will ask my Delivery Advisor in PA to send the VIN to me. So maybe they can ping your DA for you?

Why do some accounts have VINs pop-up and others don't? I was supposed to pick up on August 28, got the call on August 8 saying VIN was assigned and they gave me the VIN, but it never appeared on Mytesla. Car was damaged and now I have another Vin assigned, but I can't see it. How do I find it? Help is desperately needed for financing.

I'm beyond confused as to how this process works. I have an IDA assigned, but no VIN yet. I've asked tesla customer service for the IDA's contact info but they won't give me any contact info. They said the IDA will reach out when they are ready to schedule delivery. At one point I thought there was structure to this but now I think it's just a disaster.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
I'm beyond confused as to how this process works. I have an IDA assigned, but no VIN yet. I've asked tesla customer service for the IDA's contact info but they won't give me any contact info. They said the IDA will reach out when they are ready to schedule delivery. At one point I thought there was structure to this but now I think it's just a disaster.
Same here. I called today and was told I have an advisor assigned but no VIN yet. Customer service rep said she will send a message to my advisor to contact me, but won't give me direct contact info.

Same boat. I have order, prepare for delivery, and appointment, no vin check marked on the portal.

I do have in IDA and a vin which he provided to me via email. But the portal isnt reflecting the vin. I’m not worried right now. I have no trade in, and financing is being handled by Tesla. I have 12 days before my assigned delivery date

I'm in a similar bind. My lender won't issue the loan until I provide proof that the vehicle has been added to my insurance policy. GEICO won't add the vehicle to the policy unless I provide the VIN. My IDA hasn't responded to emails in the past couple days. So the process is deadlocked until I can get a VIN. Delivery is scheduled for a week from today, Sep. 12. Like many of my operational interactions with Tesla, starting with my Model S a couple years ago, this is frustrating.
Start calling other numbers at Tesla and explain that your IDA isn't doing his/her job and you need to talk to their manager. Repeat that you need a VIN to get the car loan, and you don't know how they expect to deliver your car without the car loan. Eventually you will get someone competent. You may have to spend 9 hours on the phone politely yelling at people -- that seems to be what it takes.

It's just a disaster. Total, unmitigated incompetence.

In the case of the person who has a delivery scheduled but no VIN so they can't get a car loan, I would just keep saying "I'm happy to take delivery, but if you want to get *paid* for the car at the time of delivery, you will have to give me a VIN in advance. Otherwise I'll just have to take the car and not pay you, would you prefer that?" I find that friendly sarcasm sometimes works at giving the incompetents at the call centers a kick in the ass to get something actually done.

Start calling other numbers at Tesla and explain that your IDA isn't doing his/her job and you need to talk to their manager. Repeat that you need a VIN to get the car loan, and you don't know how they expect to deliver your car without the car loan. Eventually you will get someone competent. You may have to spend 9 hours on the phone politely yelling at people -- that seems to be what it takes.
I hear you. I heard back from my IDA and she's escalating to her manager to try to get me my VIN "sooner." Hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow.

I know people who've worked in various roles at Tesla, and they all agree that there are good/smart people there, but management just can't set up systems and processes that work smoothly. So obviously, as a company attempts to scale, crappy systems/tools/processes undermine the best efforts of sincere and diligent people.

(This is getting off-topic, but there are many companies like this. Twitter is another prime example.)

Why do some accounts have VINs pop-up and others don't? I was supposed to pick up on August 28, got the call on August 8 saying VIN was assigned and they gave me the VIN, but it never appeared on Mytesla. Car was damaged and now I have another Vin assigned, but I can't see it. How do I find it? Help is desperately needed for financing.

My VIN was only in the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement until today. It now shows up under my reservation number as well on the side above my delivery date.

Try calling your local Tesla showroom and ask them to check. If that doesn't work, call (literally) any other showroom in the country and ask them to check. All they need is your e-mail address to look up your account. I received my VIN a week ago this method, and just heard from the ISA in Vegas via e-mail yesterday (although he didn't give me my VIN).

My VIN was only in the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement until today. It now shows up under my reservation number as well on the side above my delivery date.

Where does the VIN show up in the MVPA?

I have a delivery date scheduled, no VIN on the website and my IDA hasn't been responding to emails. My MVPA doesn't appear to have a VIN either, but I could be overlooking.