TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

When Autopilot Can Handle This, I'll Be Impressed...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SSonnentag, Jul 21, 2019.

1. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Active Member

Construction zone. Not enough room left of the line for the car, and a rumble strip down the middle. The car could technically just barely fit to the right of the line, but then it would be running down the rumble strip. So the obvious choice is to split the line. When the car is "smart" enough to handle these types of situations, it will be ready for prime time. :)

Construction.jpg

• Like x 4
  2. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

Why is this edge of edge scenario, a prime-time condition for acceptance of Autopilot?

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. garrett5688

garrett5688 Member

the goal is not perfection.

• Love x 1
  4. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Supporting Member

Soooo when the AP can fully adapt to every stupid thing humans do to make driving difficult, only then will it be acceptable?

My metric is get me home in one piece without hitting anything while following traffic laws.

Perhaps OP was being a bit tongue in cheek?

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. KG2V

KG2V Member

As Elon talks about cars with no steering wheel, aka the driver can't take over, this is a scenario they have to handle

• Like x 5
  6. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

This is why I'm a huge advocate of an infrastructure based approach.

There are lots of cases where the road design/signs/etc don't make a whole lot of sense to human drivers let alone autonomous vehicles.

This is especially the case of constructions zones where lots of times the construction company will even guide drivers through. It's much easier with autonomous cars because you can either the Everything to vehicle communication or internet based mapping system to tell the vehicle how to handle the construction situation.

• Love x 1
  7. KG2V

KG2V Member

Some of my favorite places are on say the Bruckner Interchange of I-95 in the Bronx. I should go get some photos - 3 thru lanes, 2 diverging lanes, 2 entering lanes, then another 2 exiting lanes - and ALL the pavement markings have been missing for about 5 years - totally worn away. Ditto a bit further down 695 - every time you hit concrete overpasses there are NO pavement markings

As for the infrastructure based approach, if they can't/won't keep the infrastructure up enough to bleeping mark lanes, and they have been missing for well over 5 years, what makes you think they can kept that up?

• Like x 1
  8. dblankenbaker

dblankenbaker Member

Also, robotaxi passengers cannot be expected to takeover (steering wheel or not) for the unexpected use cases.

9. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Active Member

I misspoke, I meant to say Full Self Driving (SFD). Autopilot is pretty good as it is a driver assistance feature. FSD will need to be able to handle these fringe cases, otherwise the cars will wither park themselves in confusion or crash. :D

• Like x 1
  10. TeeEmCee

TeeEmCee Member

11. KG2V

KG2V Member

Of course another fun one - 3 lane highway, 2 inches of snow...

12. cypho

cypho Member

I actually was on a road very similar to this a few days ago and AP did surprisingly well. Instead of the edge of the road on the right, there was another painted line on the right. And the line down the middle was dashed.

The detected lane shown on the screen bounced back and forth between the dashed line (that was actually right down the middle of the lane) and the solid line on the right a bit like the dancing cars shown on the screen.

Despite the chaos on the screen AP drove smoothly straddling the dashed line. I remember thinking wow that is impressive, I should save the dashcam footage. I'll have to check and see if I did.