Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When buying your first Tesla, what would you do differently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appears you already have a lot of advise. My first Tesla was a 2017 Model S 75 RWD. At the time, it was the best value for the money. If I were to do it again, which I had with a 2018 Model X, I would recommend getting as much battery as you can afford. Range is King and there's no adding to it later in years.

First I’ve ever heard of that happening.
I can attest to this too. My 2021 Multi-Coat Red Model 3 Performance was just given to Liquid R here in Melbourne for PPF but before leaving they spent a few minutes looking it over in their shop lights and then walked me around the car to point out the 20+ defects they found in the paint.

This included clusters of scratches around the rear T logo (visible only when you look from the ground upwards), lots of stone and rock chips (even though I only have 117km on the odo), base coat visible underneath the rubber trim around the door, and the mirrors are maroon while the body is closer to a cherry red.

My car also had to be repaired by Tesla upon delivery a month ago for a very obvious stone chip in the A pillar. Liquid R pointed out that not only is the repaired panel a different colour again, but it also has much more 'orange peel' in that area indicating a different (worse) paint process.

What was insane, is that they said "Despite what we are showing you today, stop worrying about them. For a Tesla, this level of defect is more than acceptable."

• Informative
Reactions: KungFuJesus
@blurrybird have you taken it back to Tesla with a written report from Liquid R?
From your description the defects are serious, not much point in a wrap until they are fixed. Even though there is supposed to be a 'paint correction' process before the wrap there is only so much this can fix.
I would have if I showed them sooner, but I’ve been waiting a total of 3 months now due to COVID making it harder to get a SC appointment early on so at this point I’m happy to wrap it as-is.

My view on the wrap is to keep it easy to clean, keep it protected from door dings, and keep it shiny for longer due to the UV protection.

It’s perfectly fine in regular lighting and it’s not a show car, but it is disappointing.