Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When can I drive one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
Does anybody know when reservation-holders will be able to test-drive the Model 3? Please specify in your reply whether you are speculating or speaking from actual information (ideally with a link or citation).

I'm a Day-2 reservation holder, and present owner, in WA. I need to drive the car before I decide if I'm going to get it as soon as I can (estimate Q1 2018) and then maybe trade up for the P-AWD trim line in a couple of years, or whether I'm going to wait a year (?) for the P-AWD, or whether (if the car just seems too big for me) I might cancel my reservation.

I'm sure everybody is wondering the same thing. I'm just wondering if anybody knows and maybe I missed the news.

Reactions: KJD
I have no reputable knowledge, but my local store had said they wouldn't get a car for test drives until January at the earliest. And that was well before the reported delays, so I'm expecting they won't get one for a couple of months after that. Maybe Feb. Depends on how the ramp up actually turns out. Lots of unknowns right now.

I wonder when/if Tesla will adjust the expected delivery windows, especially the early ones.

Two weeks ago the Salt Lake City store told me they would be getting some for test drives "within a few months," so either they are going to be delivering to owners sight-unseen or they are further behind than we thought.

Reactions: KJD
Some people will make a killing putting their Model 3 on Turo. I wonder if those who reserved two Model 3's have their sights set on using the 2nd to earn income.

Being a frequent Tesla renter on Turo, I was thinking this exact same thing. The first year or two should be very profitable as people are interested in doing long-term test drives (a weekend).

Reactions: Big Earl
Being a frequent Tesla renter on Turo, I was thinking this exact same thing. The first year or two should be very profitable as people are interested in doing long-term test drives (a weekend).

Obviously the 3 will be a special case because of its scarcity and the demand, but do you mind if I ask what you've had to pay to rent a Tesla on Turo?

Once deliveries really start happening we should get a community test drive thread going. I'd happily pay someone for the privilege. Heck I'd pay a little just to poke around at the interior and then be driven around for a bit if they don't trust me driving.

Reactions: Pkmmte
I would bet Model 3's, at least initially, will rent for a lot more than $125 per day on Turo. Older Model S's?......yes.

One complication is that Spokane is not a very big city. Turo lists exactly one Prius, which is the only car under "Fuel sippers" and the same Prius is the only car listed under "Everyday Drivers." Under "latest Models" there are exactly two cars listed, and under "Fast and Fun" there are three cars listed. I don't expect there to be a lot of Model 3 in Spokane before my turn to place my order comes up. I'll be surprised if anybody here puts theirs on Turo.

One complication is that Spokane is not a very big city. Turo lists exactly one Prius, which is the only car under "Fuel sippers" and the same Prius is the only car listed under "Everyday Drivers." Under "latest Models" there are exactly two cars listed, and under "Fast and Fun" there are three cars listed. I don't expect there to be a lot of Model 3 in Spokane before my turn to place my order comes up. I'll be surprised if anybody here puts theirs on Turo.

Sounds like an opportunity to me.

Obviously the 3 will be a special case because of its scarcity and the demand, but do you mind if I ask what you've had to pay to rent a Tesla on Turo?

I generally look for cars that allow a lot of miles. I typically pay $85/day for a week in a Model S P85 and $150/day for a week in a Model X. Rates for daily rentals are usually more expensive. I also don’t insure through Turo, which saves quite a bit of money.

I’ve found a very wide range in prices and mileage limits. Some owners are down to earth and others want absurd prices. It all depends on the owner’s situation.