Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When can S85 owners upgrade to the 90 pack, and will they get a 90 badge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When will S85 owners who want to upgrade to the 90 pack be able to do so via their friendly neighborhood SvC?

Has the cost of $4500-$5000 been confirmed? $3000 as a new option is all well and good.

If such an upgrade occurs for an existing S85, will it come with a 90 badge aft and suitable modification for the logo/status screen?

Why isn't this information available/communicated now that the website has been updated? The impression I get from Service is that they're the last to know. Maybe so, but existing owners aren't far ahead of that mark.

• Disagree
Reactions: Archimedes
Called my SC and no info on hand....

How about upgrading Sig "A-packs" for the same 3K price as a show of appreciation for their early support of Tesla Motors! Not a huge cost and a lot of goodwill for future Sig buyers of Model X, 3, etc.

So who is the upgrade currently for? Only P85D owners? Was that said during the announcement?

I agree that Signature owners should be allowed to get it -- even leaving us S85's out would be fine -- but Tesla really needs to show original Signature owners (not used purchasers) the respect and appreciation they deserve for being early adopters and believing and investing in Tesla when they could have easily lost their deposit to bankruptcy. Even if it's not the battery upgrade, it should be something else of value.

When will S85 owners who want to upgrade to the 90 pack be able to do so via their friendly neighborhood SvC?

Has the cost of $4500-$5000 been confirmed? $3000 as a new option is all well and good.

If such an upgrade occurs for an existing S85, will it come with a 90 badge aft and suitable modification for the logo/status screen?

Why isn't this information available/communicated now that the website has been updated? The impression I get from Service is that they're the last to know. Maybe so, but existing owners aren't far ahead of that mark.

Maybe give them the weekend? The announcement was six hours ago & very few people within Tesla knew all the details about what was coming.

Tesla really needs to show original Signature owners (not used purchasers) the respect and appreciation they deserve for being early adopters

These owners have had the pleasure of driving a Tesla Model S for many more years than I have, and that is priceless. A goodly number of the P85 signature owners around me upgraded to P85D, so they are no longer signature owners, but now happy owners of the highest performance sedan made at that time, and now P90D owners will have bragging rights, at least until another announcement.

First world problems... I hate to see the whining, love what you have.

Maybe give them the weekend? The announcement was six hours ago & very few people within Tesla knew all the details about what was coming.

Cutting Tesla way, way too much slack, imho.

The company held a press conferenc for crying out loud. The least they could do is have their act together across the company by the date of announcement. FYI I contacted a service center today as well and they claimed to not even KNOW about the announcement. It's another ringing example of Tesla's core weakness: communication.

And I'm not whining. I'm an owner and shareholder and this is an ongoing, worsening problem with a company and CEO who simply does not value, nor, I suspect, understand, the importance of communicating well inside and outside the company.

These owners have had the pleasure of driving a Tesla Model S for many more years than I have, and that is priceless. A goodly number of the P85 signature owners around me upgraded to P85D, so they are no longer signature owners, but now happy owners of the highest performance sedan made at that time, and now P90D owners will have bragging rights, at least until another announcement.

FYI...The Sigs only had about 2 months before the general production cars were on the road. Read up on the "Sig Tax" and you will understand. I have Sig 791 delivered in Nov 2012 and if I kept my original P469 reservation I would have had that car for $5,500 less without a 40K deposit by Jan 2014!

Last edited:
I don't know about upgrading at this point.

In fact, IMHO Elon is right!!

Wait till there's at least a 15% improvement, and personally, I don't think it's worth doing until there's more like a 1/3 range improvement. From what I've seen, the superchargers are enough with the exception of really out of the way places where a lot more than 15 miles difference would be required.

The company held a press conferenc for crying out loud. The least they could do is have their act together across the company by the date of announcement. FYI I contacted a service center today as well and they claimed to not even KNOW about the announcement. It's another ringing example of Tesla's core weakness: communication.

And I'm not whining. I'm an owner and shareholder and this is an ongoing, worsening problem with a company and CEO who simply does not value, nor, I suspect, understand, the importance of communicating well inside and outside the company.

I work for a Fortune 100 company, and I'd say my company (and many of our competitors within my industry) have similar if not worse communications issues.

For my position, I can be informed faster about big changes by reading Cnet than I actually receive from internal communication, and this is stuff that will impact real-time, day-to-day services of customers and clients.

I don't say it's reasonable that every arm of a business know about a change on day1. I imagine any company with public-facing customer service has this issue due to a possibility of pre-launch information leaks.

Just read Elon's blog over and over 'til it becomes clear... :) worked for me... Three Dog Day | Tesla Motors

FYI... I'm not a signature owner. I bought mine just before the "D" release which would have been really great for me in Canada's snow. But I never whined. In fact, I told everyone here that I love what I have and got what I paid for. If you read my posts at that time, I was called out as being a Tesla "fanboy" even though I had criticized Tesla on other issues. However, the issue of showing appreciation for original Signature owners is a whole other issue, in my opinion. It wouldn't take much for Tesla to show appreciation towards them.

But is it a first world problem? Of course. That's where we live and this is a Tesla forum. What else do you expect to be discussed?...

Fallacy of relative privation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wait till there's at least a 15% improvement, and personally, I don't think it's worth doing until there's more like a 1/3 range improvement. From what I've seen, the superchargers are enough with the exception of really out of the way places where a lot more than 15 miles difference would be required.

Yeah, and do you realize how much more that would cost? Not to mention the added degradation on your pack. No thanks, I'd be perfectly happy with 90 kWh now and if they release 100 kWh 3 years from now, so be it. I can 100% guarantee you'd be better off buying a brand new Tesla.

But is it a first world problem? Of course. That's where we live and this is a Tesla forum. What else do you expect to be discussed?...

Fallacy of relative privation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Exactly. 95% of our threads discuss first world problems so nothing new there.

The company held a press conferenc for crying out loud. The least they could do is have their act together across the company by the date of announcement. FYI I contacted a service center today as well and they claimed to not even KNOW about the announcement.

It's a publicly held company, most shouldn't have known about the contents of the announcement (vs. just claimed not to know).

I worked for a Fortune 100 company for a number of years. When doing acquisitions, for instance, it was on a 'need to know' basis only. Many C-suite folks didn't even know it was coming. It was important not to leak info before it was ready for announcement - and announcement is how most employees found out. I didn't see it as indicative of poor communication, but rather careful management of information.

That said, sure, I've held Tesla accountable for poor internal and external communication gaffes. But this is not in that category, imo.

It's a publicly held company, most shouldn't have known about the contents of the announcement (vs. just claimed not to know).

I worked for a Fortune 100 company for a number of years. When doing acquisitions, for instance, it was on a 'need to know' basis only. Many C-suite folks didn't even know it was coming. It was important not to leak info before it was ready for announcement - and announcement is how most employees found out. I didn't see it as indicative of poor communication, but rather careful management of information.

That said, sure, I've held Tesla accountable for poor internal and external communication gaffes. But this is not in that category, imo.

An urgent email to all sales staff, or a conference call at the same time the media call was happening could have fixed the communication issue.

Owning an 85 there is very little need to upgrade to a 90. It's less than 5% and there is no added power from it. I could see the 60 owners wanting them and if I had any say I'd give them first choice, and the first Signature owners and those with A packs. I'm fine with my 85 until there is a significant upgrade. 30% or more.

Called my SC and no info on hand....

How about upgrading Sig "A-packs" for the same 3K price as a show of appreciation for their early support of Tesla Motors! Not a huge cost and a lot of goodwill for future Sig buyers of Model X, 3, etc.
I"m donning my Dufus hat...How does this upgrade to the 90kW relate to us "A" battery, early vin cars (#1571)? And my production number, P-83, was earlier than most of the Sig folks. Just didn't want 21" wheels, and they wouldn't budge on that. But if the $3,000 upgrade brings my "A" up to something current I'd look at it seriously.

- - - Updated - - -

At the risk of differing with the Queen, giving "them" the weekend would certainly apply to some external event. But for an internally generated announcement, giving them a pass on providing insufficient details seems inappropriate. But then I'm just a (not so) worker bee.:smile:

Thanks to those of you who responded constructively. The concern is not whether it makes sense to upgrade, but how and when and for how much for those interested. Also, it's that once again a message has been carefully planned and announced to the world with no supporting info or guidance for Service and existing owners. That's the sort of thing that screams "bush league" to analysts.

bonnie: chronic and predictably snarky comments in defense of a company that equally chronically fails to optimally manage communication add little value, and frankly diminish people's opinions of your extensive and mostly unpaid work hereabouts over the years. The company managed to update the website immediately for prospective new owners - it ain't rocket science (that's Monday's presser) to append a FAQ for existing owners and to send a succinct heads-up email to Service at the same time. But hey, keep the excuses coming and enjoy that Sig #000002 Model X. Nothing to see here.

I'm sure we will have intelligent and comprehensive guidance "soon". There has to be somebody left at Tesla who recognizes that there is a significant opportunity for improvement here - no matter what the motivation. Let's play devil's advocate and suggest that this was a simple demand lever play for new orders. OK, fine - but posting a simple FAQ (day of) hardly seems unreasonable and, btw, would have reduced the hundreds of calls that wasted Service's time today since they had zero info either. It also would have provided a gapless opportunity to reinforce Elon's words from the blog about the sense of waiting - perhaps for 90 pack inventory to grow a little too.

What happened was at best another missed opportunity and at worst poor and indefensible. Do this at a company with tens of millions of customers and heads *would* roll - with a quickness. Seen it. Done it.

I don't see a problem with announcing the 90kWh pack option for new orders while they're still working out the pricing for upgrading existing cars. People can order a Model S today with the 90kWh battery. Existing owners can't upgrade today, so why should it matter that the pricing formula hasn't been announced yet?