Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When can we expect to see a CCS Adapter for the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the Electrify America network ramps up (already happening), having a CCS adapter is going to be a really big deal.

In fact a CCS Adapter will likely be a lot more useful than a Chademo adapter ever was. Given the fact that they built a Chademo Adapter, hopefully that means we will see a CCS adapter this year or the next year...

When the Electrify America network ramps up (already happening), having a CCS adapter is going to be a really big deal.

In fact a CCS Adapter will likely be a lot more useful than a Chademo adapter ever was. Given the fact that they built a Chademo Adapter, hopefully that means we will see a CCS adapter this year or the next year...

The Chademo made sense when the Tesla supercharger network was much smaller.

I think it will be a harder sell to get the CCS adapter in the US. But I do wish Tesla would sell one to us. Would be a huge selling point for Tesla too. When all these other EV car companies state that they can use the Electrify America network (and it is possibly more useful in certain areas), Tesla could use both.

I would have thought Tesla wanted a US CCS adapter available to reduce the strain on the SuperCharger network. At least reduce it a little.

On the other hand, perhaps they have data from people who own a Chademo adapter. In 12 months I have used mine once and that was only to see if it actually works.

I would have thought Tesla wanted a US CCS adapter available to reduce the strain on the SuperCharger network. At least reduce it a little.

On the other hand, perhaps they have data from people who own a Chademo adapter. In 12 months I have used mine once and that was only to see if it actually works.

CCS is probably going to become the fast charging standard in the US, besides the Supercharger network so an adapter would be quite useful and will also easy some congestion with the Supercharger network and offer other options as well...

At first, I was really excited about the Electrify America stations and the potential to use them. However, when I looked at their map, they're installing them in Walmart parking lots. There are 2 problems with this. First, they are mostly off the interstate so they would be useless when traveling. Secondly, I do my best to avoid Walmart parking lots - at all cost. That's a nightmare.

But, the most important reason I lost my excitement for these charging stations is the almost all were in the vicinity of a Tesla supercharger. And the Tesla supercharger was in a much better location.

Oh, and just wait until you see what they charge you!!

Reactions: GSP
At first, I was really excited about the Electrify America stations and the potential to use them. However, when I looked at their map, they're installing them in Walmart parking lots. There are 2 problems with this. First, they are mostly off the interstate so they would be useless when traveling. Secondly, I do my best to avoid Walmart parking lots - at all cost. That's a nightmare.

But, the most important reason I lost my excitement for these charging stations is the almost all were in the vicinity of a Tesla supercharger. And the Tesla supercharger was in a much better location.

Ah, you don't love the People of Walmart, what is wrong with you?

If you are traveling out of Supercharger range, I bet you'd love the option to charge at an available Walmart :) You can stay with the car if you have any concerns but at least you will get a decent charge.

The CCS Adapter is about having the option to use other charging networks... The same premise behind the Chademo Adapter but the CCS Adapter will be even more useful with Electrify America and other charging options becoming available.

Reactions: Cheburashka
If you are traveling out of Supercharger range, I bet you'd love the option to charge at an available Walmart :)

Like I said, I couldn't find a single Electrify America charger that was in a location where there's not a supercharger close by. Granted, I didn't spend hours and hours searching, and there will also be more of them built, but my initial thoughts are that these chargers won't help Tesla owners very much (for traveling anyway). However, you are indeed right that if I can't find s supercharger, obviously I'd love having the option to use one these stations. But, in all of my travels, the only time I've ever needed a supercharger and there wasn't one anywhere was in Charleston, SC. I have no idea why Tesla is dragging their feet there - it borders on ridiculous (though there's no EA charger there either).

With that being said, my main reason for not wanting to go to Walmart to charge is because of the insane traffic. They're putting these things right at the front of the parking lot where people are walking in and out of the store. It will be a nightmare to get to them.

Reactions: GSP
Like I said, I couldn't find a single Electrify America charger that was in a location where there's not a supercharger close by. Granted, I didn't spend hours and hours searching, and there will also be more of them built, but my initial thoughts are that these chargers won't help Tesla owners very much (for traveling anyway). However, you are indeed right that if I can't find s supercharger, obviously I'd love having the option to use one these stations. But, in all of my travels, the only time I've ever needed a supercharger and there wasn't one anywhere was in Charleston, SC. I have no idea why Tesla is dragging their feet there - it borders on ridiculous (though there's no EA charger there either).

With that being said, my main reason for not wanting to go to Walmart to charge is because of the insane traffic. They're putting these things right at the front of the parking lot where people are walking in and out of the store. It will be a nightmare to get to them.
There is an Electrify America station 2 miles from my house at a Sheetz gas station. The nearest supercharger is 29 miles away, not that I use either (well, can’t use the one), but they aren’t always terribly close.

There is an Electrify America station 2 miles from my house at a Sheetz gas station. The nearest supercharger is 29 miles away, not that I use either (well, can’t use the one), but they aren’t always terribly close.

Unless you can’t charge at home for some reason, the ones right near home don’t matter. My most used Superchargers are the ones 60-100 miles from home in typical travel directions.

Reactions: jlv1
I live in the Boston area and thought I'd look up the Electrify America situation around here...

tUmqgE8.png

Hmm. Well, let's click on one (of the two) sites and see what's what
0yIokEJ.png

Hang on while I clean the non-gmo pumpkin soy latte I just sprayed all over my computer. Sorry those of you in internet land who also guffawed so hard you also soiled your made-in-canada, conflict free laptops.

They don't actually describe how this charging schedule actually works; my car for instance will tickle 100+kwh for a couple minutes and then settle into a 60-80kwh charge rate for the majority of the charging, though I rarely charge the car when it has less than 30% (I rarely go on long trips and when I do charge at low rates I plug the car in and wander away not paying attention to the charge rate).

At a dieselgate charging station, are there 3 different kinds of plugs for different charge rates, and when you are charging your "turbo porsche" at the 350kwh plug you get charged $0.89 for the whole session regardless of actual charge delivery?

I agree in some senses that having more options is better than having fewer options, but it looks to me like electrocute america is much like a diesel station when you've got a gasoline car -- there are rare occasions where you might run your gasoline car out of gas and the diesel only station is the only one in range, but that's an extremely unlikely scenario.

On the other hand, I have actually been in a situation where I would have charged at a non-supercharger fast charging station -- driving to a brewery in Vermont that had only a chargepoint CHAdeMO and CCS and it would have been worth the $4-8 to top the car off while visiting the brewery rather than be forced to spend another 20-30 minutes topping the car off en-route back home. Weirdly they didn't have an AC charging hookup.

So if the price is right, I suppose I'd buy a trinket that let me either CHAdeMO or CCS, but I don't think I'd spend $400 for such a thing. Even more so if chargepoint gets more DC fast chargers near places I'd spend time at on the road, since I already have a chargepoint card.

Reactions: GWord and jlv1

"from my house"

Unless you just have NO WAY to charge at home, why would you ever need a charger 2 miles or 29 miles from your house? I've never charged a single minute within 75 miles of my house.

Reactions: jlv1
"from my house"

Unless you just have NO WAY to charge at home, why would you ever need a charger 2 miles or 29 miles from your house? I've never charged a single minute within 75 miles of my house.
As I said, I don’t use the supercharger and can’t use the EA charger. I was pointing out that the EAChargers aren’t always near superchargers.

"from my house"

You must not drive nearly as much as I do. It's not uncommon for me to drive 150-250 miles in a day for work, and then turn around to run the kids to the pool for swim practice, or to piano lessons, or whatever it is they are doing that evening. Being able to stop somewhere that isn't out of the way for 5-10 minutes can be very convenient.

Why are people actively against having options? I don't understand that mentality.

You must not drive nearly as much as I do. It's not uncommon for me to drive 150-250 miles in a day for work, and then turn around to run the kids to the pool for swim practice, or to piano lessons, or whatever it is they are doing that evening. Being able to stop somewhere that isn't out of the way for 5-10 minutes can be very convenient.

Why are people actively against having options? I don't understand that mentality.

I don't understand the mentality of reading something that was never written or expressed.

Of course I like options and I'd love for these EA chargers to be spaced exactly halfway between every Tesla Supercharger. And in every remote location in America. That would he awesome. More is obviously better.

I was only expressing my opinion that based on the map of EA chargers, it doesn't look like they will be very beneficial to me and MY driving habits (and desire to not enter a Walmart parking lot).

I don't understand the mentality of reading something that was never written or expressed.

Of course I like options and I'd love for these EA chargers to be spaced exactly halfway between every Tesla Supercharger. And in every remote location in America. That would he awesome. More is obviously better.

I was only expressing my opinion that based on the map of EA chargers, it doesn't look like they will be very beneficial to me and MY driving habits (and desire to not enter a Walmart parking lot).

You weren't talking about your driving habits at all in the post I quoted. You were chastising others for wanting additional charge options close to their home.