TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

When changing lanes, do you look at Dash Cam?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Travelhead, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Travelhead

Travelhead Member

I’m a new Tesla owner and trying to figure out what owners typically look at when changing lanes.

For example; right now I look at my rear view mirrors and then side mirror and rarely look at the dash cam.

Do you guys look at all 3 when changing lanes (dash cam, rear view, side mirrors), and in what order do you typically look for safety?

I do notice if I try to look at all 3 it takes 1-2 seconds and I take my eye off the person in front of me a bit, so I’m trying to figure out what’s optimal.

2. drtimhill

drtimhill Active Member

Not sure what you mean by "Dash Cam" .. read-view camera? The driving status display (with the gray can animations)?

I tend to use my mirrors as I do with all cars (read-view and side ones). I do also look at status display, but not as often. I do this all the time, not just when changing lanes etc.

• Like x 1
  3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

The only ‘camera’ available to the driver is the rear-view camera. I use that often for a better view in my X since the rear mirror is small but lane changes should be checked by having your side mirrors in the right place (aimed out, not at your rear fenders). This has been discussed (pro and con) too many times to repeat, just google it.

• Like x 1
  4. MichaelP90DL

MichaelP90DL Active Member

I look out the rear side window then the rear view mirror before I change lanes. Quick glance at both.

5. Travelhead

Travelhead Member

And also it seems the Model S has a side mirror blindspot on the middle left and right lanes.

Do you guys also turn your head left and right to check your blindspots? Or should this be replaced by just checking the rear camera on the display?

6. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

If you know what you are looking at, the rear camera is excellent for seeing what’s back there; especially for approaching vehicles. I still take a quick look when changing lanes. Of course, the side cameras should be checking for conflicts and showing you them with red icons/signals. Maybe we will trust them 100% soon but not quite yet. :D

7. drtimhill

drtimhill Active Member

Yes I also check blind spots. The status display helps with that as well, but I like to double-check. Also, I find when holding the steering wheel my right hand often blocks the part of the status display that would show a vehicle in the left hand blind spot.