TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

When Chill Mode becomes Panic Mode

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by whatthe2, Nov 4, 2019.

1. whatthe2

whatthe2 Active Member

My daughter just got her learners permit so I took her out yesterday to learn to drive my P3D Stealth. Of course I turned on Chill Mode for her. All went well and we returned home unscathed.

This morning I got in my car and did the usual “fun gun” and the car was super slow. I immediately thought, WTF is wrong with my car?? After a moment of panic, I remembered I forgot to turn off Chill Mode.

This was the first time in over a year I’ve had the car I’ve driven in Chill Mode. Cool feature, but glad to have my performance back. :D

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 1
  2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

My kids put mine in valet mode somehow and I thought my was broken.

• Funny x 1
  3. Joshan

Joshan Member

I let the kid drive it for the first time last night on his permit. My blood pressure is still high!!!!!

• Funny x 1
  4. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Mine is learning too. Eek. Definitely chill mode. But she now has her own profile.

• Like x 1
  5. ckoval7

ckoval7 Mild One

I put Chill Mode on for all of like 30 seconds once. Never again.

• Funny x 1
  6. muleferg

muleferg Supporting Member

There is no THRILL when in Chill.

• Like x 2
  7. srs5694

srs5694 Active Member

I'd think your last sentence is the key here. Driver profiles control more than just the seat, steering wheel, and mirror positions; they also control most or all of the options you can set for Autopilot, chill mode, creep, etc. I don't recall seeing a thread here on recommended settings for learning or teenage drivers, but that seems like a topic worth discussing. I have no children, especially of driving age, so I haven't given the matter much thought, but I'm sure there are lots of options you might want to set in a learning/teen driver's profile.

• Informative x 1
  8. KenC

KenC Active Member

Yep, create a special "LearnersPermit" mode. Or you can just make one like SnowDay, and put that as low regen and chill, and use that.

• Like x 1
  9. jedi2b

jedi2b Member

chill mode gets saved as part of the profile, so you may create a profile for her... but then, that starts to look like entitlement to drive the car...

• Like x 1
  10. whatthe2

whatthe2 Active Member

That's a great reminder. I setup a profile for seats and mirror, but didn't think to dive deeper.

11. pb6904

pb6904 Member

I for one would love to hear recommendations. We will be getting our Model 3, LR soon and we have a 16 year old daughter with a brand new driver's license. I told her that she would be allowed to drive the car after a thorough exam checking that she knows where everything is and that she understands how the reg braking works. Truth be told, the same goes for my husband and I as well. ;)

12. muleferg

muleferg Supporting Member

Your issue is fighting over who drive's the 3.:D

13. vickh

vickh Active Member

how much does Chill really help w/ range ? can it be overcome with heavy foot regardless?

14. whatthe2

whatthe2 Active Member

The custom profile is great. I would also recommend letting her drive it around a parking lot until she’s super comfortable. I’m sure this goes without saying, but my daughter noticed how differently it drives from a Volvo XC90 (any ICE really). I’m definitely going to let her practice for a while longer before she takes it out on main roads so she’s used to it.

I think those of us that have been driving for a while and have driven different cars adapt easier and more quickly to the Tesla than a new driver.