Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When did Tesla start designing the Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone remember reading anything about when the Model X was first starting to be designed? (like a news snippet of Elon Musk [or another] saying something like, "well we started drawing this back in year ####, I'm glad to get to finally show it off!" or anything?)

Does anyone remember reading anything about when the Model X was first starting to be designed? (like a news snippet of Elon Musk [or another] saying something like, "well we started drawing this back in year ####, I'm glad to get to finally show it off!" or anything?)
I don't know how much you know but as a thought that it was shown for the first time in the beginning of 2012 they probably started in 2010 at least, maybe earlier.

I think back to this interior concept drawing that's dated 6/11. That's the earliest date reference I've seen.

x_1.jpg

I talked to Franz about this in fall 2009. He said that he had drawn many vehicles to sit atop the Model S platform. So I would say that this was the first design or rendering of the X.