Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When did this rear trim change take place?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

The first two photos show the rear trim piece on a spring 2015 car. The second two photos show the same piece installed in late 2015 on my Dec 2013 S as part of the fix to prevent moisture from entering the rear taillight housings.
It may be hard to see in the photos but the differences are that the later piece has a much deeper indentation in the area where it overlays the taillight and the TESLA lettering is much more prominent.
When did this change take place? One wonders what motivated Tesla to slightly change the design appearance of this piece.
067e33dff15225cf256e090ac4449611.jpg

cb4d18703fc98faf105384cd83f8745a.jpg

4044f78f0755e887135a8e4385afa8be.jpg

c403102a695bfd71c44f58ab1314a287.jpg

The first two photos show the rear trim piece on a spring 2015 car. The second two photos show the same piece installed in late 2015 on my Dec 2013 S as part of the fix to prevent moisture from entering the rear taillight housings.
It may be hard to see in the photos but the differences are that the later piece has a much deeper indentation in the area where it overlays the taillight and the TESLA lettering is much more prominent.
When did this change take place? One wonders what motivated Tesla to slightly change the design appearance of this piece.
This change occurred right around the time the P90D was launched in mid-2015.

As you mention, it was indicated to me that this later trim piece solves the "water in the back-up light lens" issue. The rear light module with the back-up light in it has its own plastic lens covering. The original trim piece had a lens as well, effectively putting 2 lenses over the back-up lights. Water would get between the trim piece and the rear light module and make it appear that water was getting into the back-up light module.

This new trim piece has no outer lens, thus makes the indentation over the back-up light appear deeper.

Regarding the gap... the gap on my late 2013 car is indeed slightly bigger by maybe a third than the gap on the mid 2015 car. The wide angle photo exaggerates the difference. Visually you would not notice it from 6 ft away. It's my car, and it doesn't bother me.
Thanks to @Spacela for answering my question. The 2015 car I photographed was delivered on Jun 12, 2015, likely built in late May so it just missed the trim piece change.

Don't know when the change took place, but I have an April '15 P85D, and I have had the water-in-the-taillight problem from day one. If the change was to fix the water problem, how bad was the problem before the fix?

We also have an insect in one taillight. Its been in the same spot since I noticed it during the first detailing. Don't know what's holding it there, but it doesn't budge.

Which reminds me, my wife and I were going to name our little dead friend.

Here are some photos our GenII lighted applique solution. We kept the look of the original, which we think is more graceful, but also eliminated the lens, replicated the new letters, and made them available in the cars many colors. The reason that Tesla has the large chrome end piece is have a larger area for the double side tape to hold the applique end down on the twilight. Our machined aluminum version which is bent to fit the curvature does not have that problem.

DSC_6673.jpg

DSC_6678.jpg

DSC_6683.jpg

DSC_6695.jpg

I have the condensation between the lenses of the reverse light on my car (though it only seems to be on the right side for some reason), I'm torn though between getting Tesla to fix it under warranty, or buying one of those rear lighted appliques... I can't decide if I absolutely love it and must have it, or if it's too tacky... it's a fine line...

I have the condensation between the lenses of the reverse light on my car (though it only seems to be on the right side for some reason), I'm torn though between getting Tesla to fix it under warranty, or buying one of those rear lighted appliques... I can't decide if I absolutely love it and must have it, or if it's too tacky... it's a fine line...

There's a lot of configuration options. You can install it with all connections, and then choose to:

* Turn everything off behind the letters.
* Have it glow with parking lights, but nothing else.
* Have it glow with parking lights, and brighten with brake lights, but nothing else.

And so on and so forth. And... if you change your mind... you are one or two commands away from whatever you want.

Danal

FWIW, my 2013 S85 had the condensation issue. I got one of the 1st gen lighted rear liftgate appliques from artsci (thanks, Rick). After installation, still had the moisture/condensation issue (Rick was using OEM appliques which still had the extra lens over the backup lights). My wife's June 2015 S70D came with the old 1st gen applique (just missed the update). Her car was in for a minor service issue last week and I asked for the applique to be updated/upgraded to the new 'lensless' version.

I just ordered the 2nd gen lighted rear liftgate applique from Rick (see photos above) and will swap mine out to fix the moisture issue (and get the updated look).

All good....

The change in the rear facia took place on July 15th, right after the one week plant shutdown finished and around the time that the Model 90D was introduced. The newer rear facia had more prominent raised letters and an upturned lens opening. This change was never announced by Tesla. A bit later the new Pano Roof was introduced which is a much more refined assembly with new roof rack latches. Again never announced by Tesla.

You can find all of these details in the WIKI, see my sig line.

Reactions: msnow and cochese
For anyone interested, the Tesla appliqué Gen 1 and the updated Gen 2 have the same length and thickness. The width over the back-up light is .250 and the thickness between the cutouts is .125.

The major difference for the Gen 2 Version is, it has a bevel across the top. The Gen 1 dose not have this bevel. The Gen 1’s cutout window is longer then Gen 2. and Gen 2 has a larger surface area for the double sided tape.

For the Model X the cutout or backup light window was eliminated. The other notable point is that Gen 1 was $125.00 from Tesla and the cost of Gen 2 $220.00.

The Tesla applique is injection molded, chrome plated and made in Canada.

Here are some photos our GenII lighted applique solution. We kept the look of the original, which we think is more graceful, but also eliminated the lens, replicated the new letters, and made them available in the cars many colors. The reason that Tesla has the large chrome end piece is have a larger area for the double side tape to hold the applique end down on the twilight. Our machined aluminum version which is bent to fit the curvature does not have that problem.

View attachment 111664

View attachment 111665

View attachment 111666

View attachment 111668
Get the P90D sticker, makes your car cooler.