Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When did TMC get an App in Apple store?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the apps are indeed published, but are not 100% ready for us to officially announce. Hopefully we will be able to do so sometime this week.

We would greatly appreciate if those who try it are kind to us in the reviews as it is brand new.

The reason we have developed an app is that there are many people who simply don't use browsers that much, and really do live in apps while on their phone. Also, native apps do behave differently than web apps, and some people prefer that. If you find that you prefer using our webapp/website, then by all means, please continue to use the website. We have received feedback from a few testers saying they much prefer the app, so it really is a personal thing. But we will always prioritize the website over the app ultimately.

Why would they waste resources building an app?
Don't worry, we didn't invest a huge amount of resources into it. Why did we make an app? Many users have been asking us for an app for years.

@danny My biggest issue with the app is after I read a thread, it does not get marked as read and still has a red dot next to it after I return to the prior thread.

Also, the account icon shows a number of unread threads but if you click on the account doesn’t show you a list as it does in the webpage.

@danny My biggest issue with the app is after I read a thread, it does not get marked as read and still has a red dot next to it after I return to the prior thread.
Shouldn't be the case. I will look into it.

Also, the account icon shows a number of unread threads but if you click on the account doesn’t show you a list as it does in the webpage.
I don't know what you mean by list. The account button gives you access to account and app settings, as well as your alerts and conversations. I believe the number it shows is the number of unread conversations and alerts you have.

In general, if there is a bug we will certainly get it addressed, but if there is an issue that is a design/UI preference, then I would recommend using the website. The app is supposed to be a more stripped down version of the website as it is meant to be simpler for new users.

Yes, the apps are indeed published, but are not 100% ready for us to officially announce. Hopefully we will be able to do so sometime this week.

We would greatly appreciate if those who try it are kind to us in the reviews as it is brand new.

The reason we have developed an app is that there are many people who simply don't use browsers that much, and really do live in apps while on their phone. Also, native apps do behave differently than web apps, and some people prefer that. If you find that you prefer using our webapp/website, then by all means, please continue to use the website. We have received feedback from a few testers saying they much prefer the app, so it really is a personal thing. But we will always prioritize the website over the app ultimately.

Don't worry, we didn't invest a huge amount of resources into it. Why did we make an app? Many users have been asking us for an app for years.
I'm sure some people like to use apps. I have an android and it worked well. I liked it for the notifications but, my gosh there were so many. I need to get a life.

Reactions: danny
@danny -

I'm currently using the TMC Android app and find it useful when away from the desktop.

Few feedback to mention here since the app itself does not offer to submit feedback:

- Although there are "Account" settings, there are no "App" settings.
- One cannot configure the landing page to be a particular forum, instead of the default "Blog".
- No place to provide feedback.
- No "About" page.
- No "conversation" page to IM another member.
- No "Favorites" or bookmarking.
- The app is slow to load.

Otherwise, I like it very much.

Thanks.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGOwner and danny
@Droschke Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

- Although there are "Account" settings, there are no "App" settings.
Actually, in the Accounts tab, there are app settings there.

- One cannot configure the landing page to be a particular forum, instead of the default "Blog".
This is coming, though it will not be a specific forum, rather a specific feed, of which the "Forum list" will be an option. But also do keep in mind that when you tap community, it takes you to the feed section (forum list, hot, new, etc.) that you were most recently viewing. This is the case, unless you are relaunching the app, in which case it will default to "Blog" which is the first feed. However, as mentioned, the app will at some point in the future allow you to set the default feed so that when you open the app fresh, it will be where you prefer it to be.

- No place to provide feedback.
Actually there is. If you tap the Accounts tab, and scroll to the bottom, there is a "Report an issue" button.

- No "About" page.
There is an "About" page, also accessible by scrolling to the bottom of the Accounts tab, however we still need to add a proper about us bio to it.

- No "conversation" page to IM another member.
Yes there is, just click on the Accounts tab and you will see a few conversations previewed there, with a button to view all of them, wherein you can click the floating action button in the bottom write to compose a new Conversation message.

- No "Favorites" or bookmarking.
There is actually. You can find it in the Accounts tab.

- The app is slow to load.
I assume you are talking about on start up. Yeah, that could and hopefully will be improved, but I think it is also reasonable.

Reactions: Droschke
@Droschke Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Actually, in the Accounts tab, there are app settings there.

This is coming, though it will not be a specific forum, rather a specific feed, of which the "Forum list" will be an option. But also do keep in mind that when you tap community, it takes you to the feed section (forum list, hot, new, etc.) that you were most recently viewing. This is the case, unless you are relaunching the app, in which case it will default to "Blog" which is the first feed. However, as mentioned, the app will at some point in the future allow you to set the default feed so that when you open the app fresh, it will be where you prefer it to be.

Actually there is. If you tap the Accounts tab, and scroll to the bottom, there is a "Report an issue" button.

There is an "About" page, also accessible by scrolling to the bottom of the Accounts tab, however we still need to add a proper about us bio to it.

Yes there is, just click on the Accounts tab and you will see a few conversations previewed there, with a button to view all of them, wherein you can click the floating action button in the bottom write to compose a new Conversation message.

There is actually. You can find it in the Accounts tab.

I assume you are talking about on start up. Yeah, that could and hopefully will be improved, but I think it is also reasonable.
Thanks for all the clarifications.

I found almost all of what I was unable to locate. I guess the difficulty arises from the workflow design. Right now the App settings are part of the account settings, whereas there should be a single "setting" tab (instead of the upfront account tab) and the account, the app, and all other settings to be part of it. That makes it more intuitive.

Thanks again.

Reactions: danny
Thanks for all the clarifications.

I found almost all of what I was unable to locate. I guess the difficulty arises from the workflow design. Right now the App settings are part of the account settings, whereas there should be a single "setting" tab (instead of the upfront account tab) and the account, the app, and all other settings to be part of it. That makes it more intuitive.

Thanks again.
I agree that it is not the most intuitive to have some of those sections in the "Account" area, however, if one were to put them somewhere else, it would require a new button to be created, which clutters the UI. There is always a balancing act between doing what makes the most sense, vs. doing what works best for the user in practice.