Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When did vampire losses reduce to nearly 0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Teslafi's sleep settings really work quite well and still provide good detail. Not to mention good insight into what wakes the car up.
I'm curious if you can expand on this last statement a bit more. How do you know what wakes the car up via TeslaFi? From what I could tell, it's any time the car is opened, the app is opened (pinging the car) or the car is connecting to the mothership to download software or upload logs or something. Can you tell somewhere what caused the wake up?

I'm curious if you can expand on this last statement a bit more. How do you know what wakes the car up via TeslaFi? From what I could tell, it's any time the car is opened, the app is opened (pinging the car) or the car is connecting to the mothership to download software or upload logs or something. Can you tell somewhere what caused the wake up?

As far as I know there is no way to tell what woke the car up, but firing up any phone app or Visible Tesla will wake the car. I found the Apple Watch apps would also wake the car or even keep it awake, so I removed them from the watch.

I've gone through the exercise of making sure _nothing_ was pinging the car. It didn't really help a lot. Can't seem to get below 3-5 miles loss per day no matter what I do or which setting I use.

Yeah, although I'm about 3 to 5 % SOC per 24 hours.

I had my car in for it's "Annual" and asked about this (and why my car never, ever, under any circumstances runs the a/c or fans when supercharging) and they did a bunch of diagnostics. I was told they pulled all logs, checked systems and sensors and ran something like 3 "stress tests" on the battery pack and found it to be performing perfectly.

My car is an early 6xxx VIN car with the first-gen A-pack battery. I've heard it said that these early cars are a bit like "snowflakes" each being somewhat different from the next. I guess this is just how my car works now.

@mknox - it would be informative if you could hook your 12V up to a battery tender as others have done in another thread.

If the vampire loss goes away then it can be ascribed totally to the electronics. If not (assuming the battery tender was able to put out the required power,) then your HV battery would be to blame.

@mknox - it would be informative if you could hook your 12V up to a battery tender as others have done in another thread.

If the vampire loss goes away then it can be ascribed totally to the electronics. If not (assuming the battery tender was able to put out the required power,) then your HV battery would be to blame.

I could, but I won't be able to do it through the 12v terminals behind the nose cone as I have to park right up against the end of my garage and there is no room to get there. I suppose I could remove and jumper the 12v relay to the accessory socket so it stays on all the time and plug a tender in there. Might try that some time.

Interestingly, since getting my car back from Service where they said there was no problem, it seems like the vampire loss is not quite so bad. Need to keep my eye on it for a while to be sure.

Vampire load seems to lower over time. After 5 days of not driving the car, vampire losses averaged 2 miles per day.

Mine doesn't. I was hospitalized for 6 weeks earlier this year and my car was left alone, plugged in, all that time. When I reviewed my energy meter logs (I have a TED meter on the EV circuit) I could see it was charging an average of 3 kWh per day, every day for the entire time. Some days were a bit higher and some a bit lower, but it needed to draw shore power every single day to keep itself topped up.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
Mine doesn't. I was hospitalized for 6 weeks earlier this year and my car was left alone, plugged in, all that time. When I reviewed my energy meter logs (I have a TED meter on the EV circuit) I could see it was charging an average of 3 kWh per day, every day for the entire time. Some days were a bit higher and some a bit lower, but it needed to draw shore power every single day to keep itself topped up.

There is definitely something wrong with your vehicle. I'm surprised Tesla isn't willing to acknowledge that. Tesla itself claims you should lose about 1% of charge a day with energy saving mode on.

3kWh per day? WTF.. that's like $20 on your electric bill every month to do *nothing*

There is definitely something wrong with your vehicle. I'm surprised Tesla isn't willing to acknowledge that. Tesla itself claims you should lose about 1% of charge a day with energy saving mode on.

I provided Tesla Service with my energy meter logs for the period the car was unused, another log with dates, times and SOC that I kept myself along with an iPhone screen grab showing the car completing a 90% charge at 2:24 am then re-starting to charge at 6:53 am the same day with the battery down to 84% (6% SOC drop in a little over 3 hours!!). They said they ran every test they could, downloaded logs etc. and could find no problem.

Interestingly, the vampire loss seems to be better since getting my car back from Service late last week (they had it for several days), but I need to keep my eye on it to be sure.

3kWh per day? WTF.. that's like $20 on your electric bill every month to do *nothing*

Yeah...

Our cars were produced within a few weeks/days of each other (also a 6xxx VIN S85 in Ontario Canada).

I have Visible Tesla running on a Linux VM, have always connected ON and energy saving OFF and rarely use range mode.
Typical daily vampire loss is almost identical to @mknox.

In fact, most days, the Tesla is driven a few km by my wife and uses about the half as much daily energy as the Smart Electric Drive I drive on my 40 km commute. Most of this energy is the short 1 km trips in the winter, and preconditioning the Tesla to 24C in -5C weather. ;-)

That said, I love the convenience of always connected and immediate startup and Tesla phone app connect is always quick. Here in Ontario, we have a problem with excess Nuclear energy production during the overnight period, so using a bit more of that energy is not an issue in my mind at all.

I don't care about $20/mo. I care about the experience of the car responding immediately via phone app or pressing the brake pedal to start the car.

Our cars were produced within a few weeks/days of each other (also a 6xxx VIN S85 in Ontario Canada).

I have Visible Tesla running on a Linux VM, have always connected ON and energy saving OFF and rarely use range mode.

In fact, most days, the Tesla is driven a few km by my wife and uses about the half as much daily energy as the Smart Electric Drive I drive on my 40 km commute. Most of this energy is the short 1 km trips in the winter, and preconditioning the Tesla to 24C in -5C weather. ;-)

That said, I love the convenience of always connected and immediate startup and Tesla phone app connect is always quick. Here in Ontario, we have a problem with excess Nuclear energy production during the overnight period, so using a bit more of that energy is not an issue in my mind at all.

I don't care about $20/mo. I care about the experience of the car responding immediately via phone app or pressing the brake pedal to start the car.

Well it sounds like the OP does care...and maybe the OP should confirm energy saving is actually on, or go back to tesla to see if the problem is software related such that togging energy saving on doesn't actually do anything. Perhaps a firmware re-install?

Well it sounds like the OP does care...and maybe the OP should confirm energy saving is actually on, or go back to tesla to see if the problem is software related such that togging energy saving on doesn't actually do anything. Perhaps a firmware re-install?

I wonder if VisibleTesla is what is causing @SmartElectric 's higher vampire drain? I use it from time to time as well, but never leave it running on a machine somewhere all the time. I don't have any third-party apps constantly pinging the car.

I generally run Energy Savings OFF, Always Connected ON but never use Smart Preconditioning nor do I have the Cabin Overheat Protection on. I have run for some period of time with Energy savings ON and Always Connected OFF but didn't find very much of a difference.

The head-scratcher for me is that it didn't used to be like this. I used to see about 2.5 kWh of "top up" every other day and now I see at least that much every day.

I did bring it up at my annual service and Tesla could find nothing wrong with the car or the battery systems.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I shut down Visible Tesla after posting here a few days ago to see what difference there is.
Checked the car just now, and it was sitting at 90% at 6PM this evening, having charged to 90% last night (overnight). No drain for most of the day, so it looks very much like the Visible Tesla app constantly "pinging" Tesla's server, which is then communicating with the car causes more energy use. So, I'll keep Visible Tesla off for the next while and see if that behavior continues.

I shut down Visible Tesla after posting here a few days ago to see what difference there is.
Checked the car just now, and it was sitting at 90% at 6PM this evening, having charged to 90% last night (overnight). No drain for most of the day, so it looks very much like the Visible Tesla app constantly "pinging" Tesla's server, which is then communicating with the car causes more energy use. So, I'll keep Visible Tesla off for the next while and see if that behavior continues.

See if that were me, I'd be looking at around 86 or 87% after that length of time sitting (I'm assuming about 12 hours) and I have nothing pinging the car.