Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When did you buy your first car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone. I am sure you will give me some good advice and share your opinion. I am a student and I also have a job. From time to time I need a car and I use taxi. I wonder- when is the best time to buy a car? What incomes should I have? Of course, it depends on a car I want. When did you buy your first car? And which car is goo to buy as a first one? I want to try different cars before I choose the one for myself. I have a plan to test cars with Orlando car rental 18 years old service, they rent cars. How do you like the idea?(Under 21 Car Rental at Orlando Airport MCO, Florida FL, USA - RENTAL24H)

Pretty easy answer, For at least 6 months, set aside the monthly payment of the car that you want. Don't touch it, you then use it as down payment or lease initiation. Also, make sure that you are also paying for other life expenses, like an apartment or house payment when you do so. Living at home, basically means that you can't afford it at all.
And don't forget to factor in any student loans.
For me, it was a few years after having a well paying job before I could afford a car myself. Luckily I had the new car from graduation to tide me over.

Honestly, a Tesla, even the cheap one, require a significant salary to justify it. When you compare the $35,000 car against the $20,000 cars available, that's a LOT more money.

Think of it this way, if you make $50,000 per year, which is about $35,000 after taxes, you will work for an entire year to pay for just the car. That's leaving out sleeping, eating, phones, TV, and fun. Which truly is ore important?

IF you can organize your life to NEVER need to buy a car, you may save thousands and thousands of dollars.
Only you can figure out what will work for you - and the answer may/probably change with time and place.
Ride Sharing, Uber, Lyft, taxi, electric bikes/skate boards, public trans. and car rentals are all factors. Actual car ownership gets less attractive day by day.

AAA and Federal tax allowances are what per mile for 2018?
Taking time to accurately figure costs for your time and place - do that and the answer may be obvious. At what age can you start to rent? Will any family members allow you to "rent" their car from time to time?