Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When Did You Need to Replace Your 12V Battery?

When did you need to replace your 12V battery?

• Year 1

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Year 2

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Year 3

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Year 4

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Year 5

• Year 6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After year 6

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In ICE cars, the 12v battery is charged by an alternator. Do Tesla's charge the 12v battery at all when driving or when charging?
In Arizona, due to the extreme heat, if we get 3 years out of a battery on an ICE car we're doing pretty good!

Reactions: RMannino
Do Tesla's charge the 12v battery at all when driving or when charging?
I am totally at a loss at how you could even ask this, if they get charged "at all". If they didn't get recharged at all, they wouldn't last more than a few days, much less years. Of course they get recharged. The car monitors the level of the 12V battery, and when it gets low, it uses a DC to DC electrical circuit in the car to use some energy from the really big main battery pack to refill the 12V. Even when the car is off, that 12V is being used for some minor electronics and is still being monitored, and the car will occasionally top up the 12V battery from the main as needed.

I guess I was expecting the more frequent question of "How do they get recharged?"

Living in Phoenix, premature death of 12v batteries is common in ICE vehicles. Given the workout ours get running virtually everything in the car, I replaced mine at 1 year (prior to the start of hot weather here) with an Ohmmu. Expensive? Yes. Worth the peace of mind from finding HAL bricked in a mall parking lot in August (and the OAT is 110f)? Absolutely.

Reactions: pilotSteve and T-J-
Our 2018 Model 3 with a VIN less than 17k is still on the original 12V battery. Its 4th anniversary of delivery is coming up at the end of the month. However, the car is garaged all the time at home and my wife's office in the mild climate of Silicon Valley. I thought about proactively replacing it based on other people's horror stories, but it just keeps chugging along.

Ambient temperature is the biggest variable. Pheonix - 1 year sounds reasonable. That would be silly in Maine.
That lesson was driven home with the Leafs - sure different battery tech but chemistry is still temperature dependent.
There is a battery life expectancy map somewhere - made for ICE cars but fully relevant for Tesla's 12V.

Then we need an option for "I changed mine at X" years despite having no errors yet
No, cause that would dirty the data. The OP is looking for when batteries fail, or nearly fail by presenting an error message, so that he can preemptively replace the battery before it’s needed. Data for when a battery was changed by choice is not what he is lookin for.

No, cause that would dirty the data. The OP is looking for when batteries fail, or nearly fail by presenting an error message, so that he can preemptively replace the battery before it’s needed. Data for when a battery was changed by choice is not what he is lookin for.
Except that it shows "Oh, my battery lasted X years and was still fine." They're all valid data points.

Except that it shows "Oh, my battery lasted X years and was still fine." They're all valid data points.
Where does it say "Oh, my battery lasted X years and was still fine?"

32CDBB7D-ED78-4E31-85C0-18A0FE12CAD4.jpeg

Are you referring to when a false message pops up? ie Message shows but the battery is still good.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: smatthew