Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When did you order your Tesla Charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just remember that EDF is not your DNO

DNO's are the infrastructure Company... not the Energy Supplier
You are quite correct @PITA; The DNO has to be informed. It now seems that being an older house, I might only have a 60A main fuse in which case the upgrade to 100A must be done by the DNO - ukPowerNetworks in my case.
It seems it can all be a bit more complicated than one thought. I have quotes from two Tesla Approved installers that are more than 50% apart! Neither give detail of any additional kit to be installed. So I will have to chase that down.
Looks like this is turning out to be rather expensive🤨

You are quite correct @PITA; The DNO has to be informed. It now seems that being an older house, I might only have a 60A main fuse in which case the upgrade to 100A must be done by the DNO - ukPowerNetworks in my case.
It seems it can all be a bit more complicated than one thought. I have quotes from two Tesla Approved installers that are more than 50% apart! Neither give detail of any additional kit to be installed. So I will have to chase that down.
Looks like this is turning out to be rather expensive🤨

That's why I mentioned earlier about DNO Approval.

It might seem pedantic, but it'll give some people the wrong impression that it's just a formality and to think nothing of it...

Unfortunately for a lot of people, the DNO could highlight a bunch of requirements which might hold up installation plans for months... as it did with me.

Again, one of the key reasons to get your Ev Chargers fitted now... as soon as you can to clarify if any additional works need carrying out.

Last edited:
That's why I mentioned earlier about DNO Approval.

It might seem pedantic, but it'll give some people the wrong impression that it's just a formality and to think nothing of it...

Unfortunately for a lot of people, the DNO could highlight a bunch of requirements which might hold up installation plans for months... as it did with me.

Again, one of the key reasons to get your Ev Chargers fitted now... as soon as you can to clarify if any additional works need carrying out.
Valuable advice particularly for those living in older properties. Thank you.

• Love
Reactions: PITA
Valuable advice particularly for those living in older properties. Thank you.
My Tesla Charger has just arrived by DHL only 24 hours after order. So, that's the easy bit accomplished. I have an installer survey booked for next week and am trying to arrange a DNO survey for the fuse ( they may find other issues) determination and upgrade if required.
I hear that they are pricy. Hey ho! Who knew!

My Tesla Charger has just arrived by DHL only 24 hours after order. So, that's the easy bit accomplished. I have an installer survey booked for next week and am trying to arrange a DNO survey for the fuse ( they may find other issues) determination and upgrade if required.
I hear that they are pricy. Hey ho! Who knew!

Now here's a weird twist... the DNO isn't completely responsible for your Electric Meter box. Your Energy Company is responsible for your Electric Meter and partly what goes on inside the meter box as well.

This means, if you wanted to have an Isolation Switch (and Fuse upgrade) installed in your Electric Box (usually compulsory for an Ev Charger)... the DNO will charge you for it.

BUT... and this is the weird bit... the isolation switch installation can include a fuse upgrade as part of the work... and your Energy Supplier might do this free of charge, or a fraction of the cost compared to the DNO.

So, on this occasion... speak with your Energy Supplier and ask for the Isolation Switch and Fuse upgrade... and compare it to the DNO quote... it'll most likely be a LOT cheaper :D

You can still have the DNO come out for the survey part...

Last edited:
You don’t necessarily need a PEN fault device, an earth rod is fine. However, even then then it’s my understanding the regs are rather ‘grey’ in in that requirement for commandos being a multi purpose plug.
Please be very careful with this, there are a lot of reasons why an earth rod is not a good choice. There are some very complicated videos on YouTube by people way cleverer than me who explain this. I am a qualified electrician and I had to really think about it.

Even PEN conductor protection devices are not necessarily ideal. The best option seems to me to be a device like a Zappi which has built in PEN and RCD protection.

The BS7671 regs have a number of options available to resolve the issue, but they are not all ideal.

This is the theory from John Ward (Tesla even apparently link to this video for their Gen 3 charge point documentation)

This one shows a more practical demonstration of the risks of a PEN conductor break and why an earth rod or PEN protection device is not necessarily going to be effective.

Happy to try to answer any questions people might have with my electricians hat on.

Now here's a weird twist... the DNO isn't completely responsible for your Electric Meter box. Your Energy Company is responsible for your Electric Meter and partly what goes on inside the meter box as well.

This means, if you wanted to have an Isolation Switch (and Fuse upgrade) installed in your Electric Box (usually compulsory for an Ev Charger)... the DNO will charge you for it.

BUT... and this is the weird bit... the isolation switch installation can include a fuse upgrade as part of the work... and your Energy Supplier might do this free of charge, or a fraction of the cost compared to the DNO.

So, on this occasion... speak with your Energy Supplier and ask for the Isolation Switch and Fuse upgrade... and compare it to the DNO quote... it'll most likely be a LOT cheaper :D

You can still have the DNO come out for the survey part...
Very useful - thank you. I have just learned from my local council's web page that it will cost £3,766.60 to have the kerb lowered to allow access to the charger.

• Informative
Reactions: PITA
Just remember that EDF is not your DNO

DNO's are the infrastructure Company... not the Energy Supplier
Thank you.

So, progress! I accepted a Tesla Approved installer's quote about 10 days ago. They contacted the DNO on my behalf. Nice lady from DNO called yesterday and booked me in for 7th May. However, the DNO may have to do more than just the fuse upgrade because, as she explained, my set up, from the photos I supplied via the installer, looks a bit ......passed it!.... (I knew the selfie was a mistake).

They have also reserved 16th and 17th May as a "back up" which sounds ominous; a total tear down!?:eek:

Thank you.

So, progress! I accepted a Tesla Approved installer's quote about 10 days ago. They contacted the DNO on my behalf. Nice lady from DNO called yesterday and booked me in for 7th May. However, the DNO may have to do more than just the fuse upgrade because, as she explained, my set up, from the photos I supplied via the installer, looks a bit ......passed it!.... (I knew the selfie was a mistake).

They have also reserved 16th and 17th May as a "back up" which sounds ominous; a total tear down!?:eek:

Very interested to see what they say... keep us updated and good luck 👍

See what I mean about 'approval'

Not all installs are a slam dunk guarantee. There might be weeks worth of preparation involved.

Very interested to see what they say... keep us updated and good luck 👍

See what I mean about 'approval'

Not all installs are a slam dunk guarantee. There might be weeks worth of preparation involved.
The scheduler just called to offer an earlier date; Friday 29th. In an email confirmation, some of the reasons preventing an upgrade the " 80A" was listed including the meter rating and tail diameter which need to be 100A and 16mm respectively.

So, my meter is rated to 100 amps. The tails measure 9/10 mm in diameter which apparently equates to 16mm. I can't see the rating on the consumer unit, so fingers crossed.

Also, perhaps 80 amps is sufficient for the wall point. All will be revealed on the 29th.

perhaps 80 amps is sufficient for the wall point

yeah, but not sure they'll be happy with it. Seems that if you have a car charger they want a 100 AMP fuse (but I'm no electrician so someone can correct me if I have that wrong).

Depends what else you draw ... electric power shows? a spot of arc welding?!

I have a pathetically small cable; long story short, originally 4 wires shorted to provide a pair for neutral, and another pair for live. My guess is when the house supply was fitted they didn't have any "fat" cable, so they did "double-up" instead. When I had my meter moved they said they weren't allowed to do that any more ... so just fitted one of the wires and cut the other a bit shorter.

I complained and they said something like "If Sir is having a car charger then of course Sir will need 3-Phase" and quoted a 5-figure-sum (the transformer pole is 50M from the house)

Seems to have been OK ... but I think there is a geriatric government grant, or somesuch, for 3-phase upgrade - so I need to look into that. I just need to remember to do that ... where was I?!

yeah, but not sure they'll be happy with it. Seems that if you have a car charger they want a 100 AMP fuse (but I'm no electrician so someone can correct me if I have that wrong).

Depends what else you draw ... electric power shows? a spot of arc welding?!

I have a pathetically small cable; long story short, originally 4 wires shorted to provide a pair for neutral, and another pair for live. My guess is when the house supply was fitted they didn't have any "fat" cable, so they did "double-up" instead. When I had my meter moved they said they weren't allowed to do that any more ... so just fitted one of the wires and cut the other a bit shorter.

I complained and they said something like "If Sir is having a car charger then of course Sir will need 3-Phase" and quoted a 5-figure-sum (the transformer pole is 50M from the house)

Seems to have been OK ... but I think there is a geriatric government grant, or somesuch, for 3-phase upgrade - so I need to look into that. I just need to remember to do that ... where was I?!
My DNO have been guided by the installer's calculation of our total requirements; no tumble dryer and only the usual white goods which rarely operate simultaneously and pretty much never overnight; so 80amps will suffice. Although my meter is rated at 100 amps, the tails are 16mm which is a bit marginal (apparently) for a 100amp fuse. All will be revealed when the nice people from the DNO visit tomorrow week!!

" I'm so exited and I just can't hide it ....." Actually getting the car will pale into insignificance.......... NO! no no no.....NO!

When I first moved into this house 15 years ago... it had a 7kW electric shower... and a 3kW cooker. That was the main power requirements.

Since then, I've had to go 3 Phase... then installed

- 2 x 8 kW Showers
- 2 x 13.5 kWh Storage Batteries
- 1 x 8 kW Heat Pump (plus 4 wall units)
- 1 x 7 kW Induction Hob
- 1 x 5 kW Solar Inverter
- 1 x 22 kW Ev Charger
- 1 x 7 kW Ev Charger
- 1 x 3.5 kW Emersion heater

It's like a Sub Station. Our old analogue electric meter dial spun so fast it needed ceramic bearings and liquid cooling.

• Funny
Reactions: Wattsisname