TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

When did you stop looking at the "gas gauge" ?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by lolachampcar, Feb 10, 2013.

1. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

My over riding concern when buying my Zero (electric motorcycle) last year was range. I was obsessed with the state of charge (SoC) gas gauge for the first few weeks then slowly stopped paying attention to it. The bike got plugged in when I got home and, unless I was doing something way out of the ordinary, it had more than enough range to do anything in my daily routine. After about a month I got to the point that I really could not tell you what the SoC was apart from an estimate from contemplating the use so far that day. I found it odd that my over riding concern when I bought the thing became less of a concern then the same function on my ICE bike.

Fast forward almost a year and I am four days into MS ownership. I started with all kinds of interest in the projected range and power consumption but that is starting to wane a bit. I believe I am headed for deja vu all over again and will soon get to the point were I simply will not care what the SoC is. The car (P85) has way more range than I will use in 99% of my daily driving thus SoC really is not important.

Are there any MS owners out there have gotten beyond the remaining rated range and simply stopped caring?

2. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

As a pilot, I've always advised people to continue caring about their fuel reserves, regardless of vehicle. :smile:

I'm well aware that my Roadster is basically never going to run out of juice in a single day if it started with a full standard charge. But, just as I do in the airplane, I continue to check on it periodically to ensure that nothing untoward and unexpected has happened.

3. lolachampcar

Acro hop is 25 minutes == 4.2 to 5.4 gallons of fuel. Flow is 12.5 to 13 gph at 23 squared so if FF is right and the engine is running, I never look at the fuel gauge on the plane either :) It is much more fun to watch the wing traverse a perfect circle (although that is still rare for me but I am trying).

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I still look, but rarely for daily work commute. Just when I know I'm travelling somewhere out of my normal comfort zone. Basically, similar to how I treat the gasoline fuel gauge on my other vehicle but with a slight twist. I never have to worry about running out of range during my daily commute (when work is busy and there's no time for excursions) like I do for my gasoline vehicle. Because I have a full "tank" every morning in the S.

5. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Even after a few years of owning it, we kept checking the gauge on our RAV4-EV that had about 90 miles of range.

But with cars with over 200 miles of range, like the Roadster and Model S, we're in brianman's camp. It only takes a few weeks to realize there's no reason to look at it while you're just driving normally around town. You only watch it on road trips.

6. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

I look down constantly to watch my speed (it's so easy to be in violation of posted speed limits rather quickly with the Model S) and cannot help but take a quick glance at the "tank" as well. Even during my daily commute. I don't think I'll ever stop...

7. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Me either. The only thing I've ever done for a living my entire adult life is fly airplanes. I don't think I'll ever lose the habit of constantly cross checking everything. Even if I'm driving 8 miles to the golf course. :smile:

8. lolachampcar

Al,

As the saying goes, there is no excuse for CFIT or running out of gas.

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I notice it but don't make a point of looking at it more than once a day since my driving is normally under 40 miles.