Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When do 2021 model Deliveries start?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know they are the same but I have a 2019 and am ordering another, when I go to sell would be better to have a 1 yr newer car.

Most manufacturers do Fall but does Tesla Just do January 1?

I searched couldn’t find anything

Thanks!

They've always been required to designate model years, that's federal law and it's part of the VIN.

What changed last year was prior to late 2019, the model year was 100% based on the date the car was built (unlike traditional car makers).

Car was build Dec 31, 2018? It's a 2018.

Oct 2019 that changed and they began labeling cars built then (and onward) as 2020s.

(some suggested this might be due to delays in getting cars to Europe which rolled out last year and that someone in the EU might be update they were taking delivery of a 2019 when it was already 2020- no idea if that's the real reason though).

It's presumed they'll stick to this going forward and 2021s will be October 2020 and onward production, but I don't know we have anything confirming that until it happens.

• Helpful
Reactions: Zoomit
Guys I appreciate that but that is not my question....well aware of how vins work

When do they start shipping 2021 is the question no one knows ....but would be best to wait a month to get a 21 which will have higher resale in a few years then essentially buying a yr old new car

They've always been required to designate model years, that's federal law and it's part of the VIN.

What changed last year was prior to late 2019, the model year was 100% based on the date the car was built (unlike traditional car makers).

Car was build Dec 31, 2018? It's a 2018.

Oct 2019 that changed and they began labeling cars built then (and onward) as 2020s.

(some suggested this might be due to delays in getting cars to Europe which rolled out last year and that someone in the EU might be update they were taking delivery of a 2019 when it was already 2020- no idea if that's the real reason though).

It's presumed they'll stick to this going forward and 2021s will be October 2020 and onward production, but I don't know we have anything confirming that until it happens.

In the UK yr is based on registration date on licence plate, when you sell a car it is for example R reg or K reg, changes twice a yr I believe so you can impress your neighbours with a new car

in Denmark the plates are all randomized to keep everyone equal :)

I think the model year does make a difference when it comes to resell value, please correct me if I am wrong though
It clearly does make a difference. If you trade the car back to Tesla it makes a difference how much they give you, if you sell it outright, if you are a bank financing the car it does too. On a depreciating asset like a car the newer the year the better.