Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When do FSD Beta snapshots get uploaded?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious how we know that it never uploads video clips over cellular, how would one confirm that anyhow?

I‘m trying to decide whether I should make an effort to get on wifi, like going to a service center, or using up my phone monthly data allowance.

Curious how we know that it never uploads video clips over cellular, how would one confirm that anyhow?

I‘m trying to decide whether I should make an effort to get on wifi, like going to a service center, or using up my phone monthly data allowance.
To your point, I don't think anyone can confirm that it doesn't upload over cellular. That being said, many HAVE noted that their WiFi routers show a significant uptick in upload traffic when they get home after taking snapshots. I guess the test, then, would be - go for a drive, take several snapshots, make sure your car's not on WiFi for 24 hours or so (and make sure you don't take any additional snapshots in that time), then connect the car back to WiFi and check your router for upload traffic. Maybe somebody's already tried that?

Reactions: hellocar
Last night the car that had been away for a few days continuously uploaded over WiFi for about 5.5 hours at 11Mbps for roughly 27GB uploaded. Maybe that does match up with a theoretical max
If the previous estimates of 1.5GB per video snapshot button press is still accurate (where it's capturing the last 30 seconds), that seems to allow 18 of these snapshots before overwriting. I did have to put the car on camp mode to trick it to stay awake to continue uploading.

Last night the car that had been away for a few days continuously uploaded over WiFi for about 5.5 hours at 11Mbps for roughly 27GB uploaded. Maybe that does match up with a theoretical max
If the previous estimates of 1.5GB per video snapshot button press is still accurate (where it's capturing the last 30 seconds), that seems to allow 18 of these snapshots before overwriting. I did have to put the car on camp mode to trick it to stay awake to continue uploading.
Turning Sentry Mode on should be enough to prevent sleep.

Current theory is that it's a fairly large file to upload and is therefore a WiFi only upload. If true I assume the reason for that approach is the network capacity isn't there for all of these uploads plus normal daily traffic.

Maybe they could upload on cell on off-peak hours nightly? Or maybe they do that now? We just don't know enough and can only speculate.

But no, I would not pay for WiFi for the sole purpose of uploading snapshots.