Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When do FSD Beta snapshots get uploaded?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering when the snapshots/disengagement clips that are recorded get uploaded to Tesla, because my car is never in Wi-Fi. The only time it has an external connection is when I receive an update, I'll go tether my phone to install it. Is my car uploading gigabytes of data every night over its cellular connection or is my driving data essentially "wasted" since I'm not in Wi-Fi every night?

I'm wondering when the snapshots/disengagement clips that are recorded get uploaded to Tesla, because my car is never in Wi-Fi. The only time it has an external connection is when I receive an update, I'll go tether my phone to install it. Is my car uploading gigabytes of data every night over its cellular connection or is my driving data essentially "wasted" since I'm not in Wi-Fi every night?
I'm not sure anyone here can definitively answer that for you. Tesla is many positive things, but fantastic communicators is not one of them :)

It uploads FSD Beta snapshots over WiFi only - each snapshot is about 500MB, and it can store 10 snapshots (for 5GB of data). So if you use your cell phone hotspot, be prepared for a large amount of data.

Some people take their Tesla to a nearby Starbucks or some such public WiFi and connect there for an hour or so while enjoying a coffee. :)
Maybe we can look for unprotected wifi networks in nearby apartments and leech off of them :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow and Dewg
It uploads FSD Beta snapshots over WiFi only - each snapshot is about 500MB, and it can store 10 snapshots (for 5GB of data).
Do we know how much time that 500MB snapshot represents? On my way to work there’s an intersection where FSD Beta routinely fails to get into the correct lane, and then sometimes fails to get across the intersection correctly when the light turns green. I’d prefer to wait to send a single snapshot rather than two.

9198CCD9-931A-41A1-9112-ECC6CB1FB65C.jpeg

Coming from the bottom left on Kennedy Road the traffic lane becomes a right-turn-only lane, and I have yet to observe FSD Beta get into the straight-and-turn-left lane at the intersection with Keene Road. Ironically the “mind of car” visualization includes the “straight and left” forked arrow in that lane, along with the “right turn only” arrow in the right hand lane.

Do we know how much time that 500MB snapshot represents? On my way to work there’s an intersection where FSD Beta routinely fails to get into the correct lane, and then sometimes fails to get across the intersection correctly when the light turns green. I’d prefer to wait to send a single snapshot rather than two.

View attachment 814395

Coming from the bottom left on Kennedy Road the traffic lane becomes a right-turn-only lane, and I have yet to observe FSD Beta get into the straight-and-turn-left lane at the intersection with Keene Road. Ironically the “mind of car” visualization includes the “straight and left” forked arrow in that lane, along with the “right turn only” arrow in the right hand lane.
10 seconds, I believe. All cameras and telemetry.

It uploads FSD Beta snapshots over WiFi only - each snapshot is about 500MB, and it can store 10 snapshots (for 5GB of data).
I had previously heard that the limit was 5 snapshots. 10 is certainly better but still kinda stinks. It doesn't take long to rack up 10 when FSD is having a bad day, and I often find myself debating if I should keep hitting the snapshot button as I go. "But self, that snapshot you took 4 snapshots ago was a pretty good one...do you really want to overwrite it for yet another PB event?" I wish I didn't have to take that into consideration.

I had previously heard that the limit was 5 snapshots. 10 is certainly better but still kinda stinks. It doesn't take long to rack up 10 when FSD is having a bad day, and I often find myself debating if I should keep hitting the snapshot button as I go. "But self, that snapshot you took 4 snapshots ago was a pretty good one...do you really want to overwrite it for yet another PB event?" I wish I didn't have to take that into consideration.

Yeah some prioritization makes sense just to be safe. I might take a snapshot for a whimsical hesitation, but I won't take one for every hesitation I encounter.

And also to clarify, there is no daily limit to how many snapshots you can take. The car will offload them any chance it gets (on wifi), so if the car is able to upload them, it frees up the space, and you can take more.

Reactions: VanFriscia
10 seconds
Did this change recently? For nearly the last 2 years of FSD Beta, video snapshot clips were 30 seconds with Tesla recommending waiting 10 seconds after some interesting event before pushing the button. This allows for the multiple cameras to capture before/during/after context to understand what happened.

I estimated automated Tesla Vision triggers submitted about 400MB clips, but the manual snapshot had been sending about 1.5GB.

Did this change recently? For nearly the last 2 years of FSD Beta, video snapshot clips were 30 seconds with Tesla recommending waiting 10 seconds after some interesting event before pushing the button. This allows for the multiple cameras to capture before/during/after context to understand what happened.

I estimated automated Tesla Vision triggers submitted about 400MB clips, but the manual snapshot had been sending about 1.5GB.

I was also under the impression that snapshots were way longer than 10 seconds.

But it's very clear from my network traffic that each snapshot is about 480GB.

• Funny
Reactions: wknickless
My 3 snapshots from last night
Were these from 3 separate drives to see 3 sets of upload? I've noticed the vehicle is pretty aggressive in going to sleep when not plugged in, and it uploads a lot more when I keep it awake. In the past, I was able to activate sentry mode to trick it to keep uploading for a maximum of around 15GB in one go - potentially a backlog of 10x clips 1.5GB each.

Were these from 3 separate drives to see 3 sets of upload? I've noticed the vehicle is pretty aggressive in going to sleep when not plugged in, and it uploads a lot more when I keep it awake. In the past, I was able to activate sentry mode to trick it to keep uploading for a maximum of around 15GB in one go - potentially a backlog of 10x clips 1.5GB each.

Yeah, those 3 uploads were from separate drives. My car uploads almost immediately after I pull into the garage. After it uploads everything, it goes to sleep.

I've also seen it wake up the middle of the night and upload large amounts of data. Not 100% sure that is snapshot data. Could be other telemetry that tesla cares about for my car.