Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When Do I Specify My Pickup Location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tweeted at Elon to ask about factory pickup as a means of moving up the production queue, no response unfortunately (I realize it was a longshot).

Current owners should be able to describe the current factory pickup process, but as to whether or not that impacts 3 delivery times no one knows yet (but many are curious). I"d hate to put 2800 miles on my care in its first 3 days, but I would if it meant getting it 6+ months earlier.

Given Tesla's unique ordering process (online or in-store kiosk), I would expect that you can designate any official Tesla delivery location for delivery (including the factory), Can one of you lucky new Model S owners chime in? Thanks.

I tweeted at Elon to ask about factory pickup as a means of moving up the production queue, no response unfortunately (I realize it was a longshot).

Current owners should be able to describe the current factory pickup process, but as to whether or not that impacts 3 delivery times no one knows yet (but many are curious). I"d hate to put 2800 miles on my care in its first 3 days, but I would if it meant getting it 6+ months earlier.

Lol I tweeted the same thing....For me it's only worth it to pick it up in CA if doing so gets me in the West Coast queue. If I'm still in the East Coast queue then I'll wait the 3 additional weeks for delivery. When we are invited to configure, I will call my DS and find out.

Factory pickup means CA sales tax as well. It also wouldn't move you up the list 6 months.

Also, I don't think it's just about "pickup location".

Tesla also has to expand, outfit and train their service centers to handle the Model 3.

If you live on the east coast, but do a factory pickup, your local service center probably won't be up to speed to service the car until TM is ready to sell cars destined for that region.

So, no short-cuts, you'll just have to wait it out.

(I'm on the east coast, too, so I'm in the same bucket).

If you live on the east coast, but do a factory pickup, your local service center probably won't be up to speed to service the car until TM is ready to sell cars destined for that region.
I'd be willing to risk it if I could somehow get my 3 early. If something goes wrong and my service center can't fix it for a month, so what? I'll put up with driving the ICE for a bit.

I'd be willing to risk it if I could somehow get my 3 early. If something goes wrong and my service center can't fix it for a month, so what? I'll put up with driving the ICE for a bit.

Sure, but TM doesn't make strategic business decisions based on what you're OK with. I'm pretty sure if that is their plan, they still won't sell any cars into a region that's not set up yet for it. If they do it for you, they'll have to do it for everyone, then suddently you have dozens or hundreds of cars in a region that would be essentially unsupported/unrepairable. And due to the demographics of the M3 market, not everyone is going to have a backup ICE. This does not make good press.

Honestly, I'm not expecting any further official correspondence from Tesla for at least another year regarding configuration or ordering, so I haven't thought nearly that far ahead. As cool as a factory pickup would be, I'm thinking with such large numbers, it might be a logistical nightmare, unless they do mass delivery ceremonies of like 1,000 vehicles at a time. Most likely going to get it at one of the stores around me.

Reactions: Bimbels
Honestly, I'm not expecting any further official correspondence from Tesla for at least another year regarding configuration or ordering, so I haven't thought nearly that far ahead. As cool as a factory pickup would be, I'm thinking with such large numbers, it might be a logistical nightmare, unless they do mass delivery ceremonies of like 1,000 vehicles at a time. Most likely going to get it at one of the stores around me.
Brilliant idea! Can you imagine 1000 (or more) Model 3 owners getting their car on the same day in Fremont. Talk about free publicity. I can see the wheels turning at Tesla's marketing department right now.

Reactions: igotzzoom
Sure, but TM doesn't make strategic business decisions based on what you're OK with. I'm pretty sure if that is their plan, they still won't sell any cars into a region that's not set up yet for it. If they do it for you, they'll have to do it for everyone, then suddently you have dozens or hundreds of cars in a region that would be essentially unsupported/unrepairable. And due to the demographics of the M3 market, not everyone is going to have a backup ICE. This does not make good press.
All very valid points. I just don't think it would be that hard to convince TM that you "live" in a different region than you really do, such as...
I'm thinking of doing the same thing by switching my address on my account to a family member in California to get the car sooner.

All very valid points. I just don't think it would be that hard to convince TM that you "live" in a different region than you really do, such as...

I'm thinking of doing the same thing by switching my address on my account to a family member in California to get the car sooner.

But doesn't that have even more pitfalls, in that Tesla would need to register the car to the resident at that address, and pay CA taxes/registration,etc? Wouldn't that person need to have a CA license once the car is ready to be sold?

Getting the car is one thing... I'm not sure you can play switcheroo at the last minute with the address on your account to fool Tesla into selling you a car early.

I'm not saying not to try out that method.. but just be aware of the pretty significant consequences going in.

But doesn't that have even more pitfalls, in that Tesla would need to register the car to the resident at that address, and pay CA taxes/registration,etc? Wouldn't that person need to have a CA license once the car is ready to be sold?

Getting the car is one thing... I'm not sure you can play switcheroo at the last minute with the address on your account to fool Tesla into selling you a car early.

I'm not saying not to try out that method.. but just be aware of the pretty significant consequences going in.

cars can be registered to any address you want. im sure there are plenty of people with houses in California and other states who choose to register their car in the state with the lowest registration fees and taxes.

I agree you'd have to pay California sales tax (currently 7.5% not 9.5% as mentioned above) but with California Bill 680 this may not be true for much longer. However let's say it doesn't pass. The 1.15% increase in sales tax over my state of ct would equal an additional 575$ on a 50k car. This would be easily offset by getting the full tax credit.

My idea may not ,actually help me now that I have read Leon's latest tweets. I'm not as inclined to do this and the fear of being far from the factory for the first cars might scare me out of it

I believe that one of the reasons Tesla would like to sell their first Model 3's on the West Coast is to be easier to handle any initial teething problems close to the factory and Mothership.

Dealing with replacing a part could be done in one day if the car is nearby, but take many more days if that car was in Florida or even another country.

Getting immediate feedback would allow the company to respond instantly and assure that later cars would have those issues resolved before being shipped thousands of miles away.

Tesla currently offers factory pickups and usually can arrange a nice factory tour for those customers. I live in San Diego and plan to pick up my Model X at the factory and drive it home along the Pacific Coast Highway to make for a memorable vacation trip.

It is a long time until the Model 3 customers will need to make these delivery arrangements. Things should be well sorted out by that time.