Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When do the twin chargers kick in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, but with a brief search I can't find a pointer to anything written. I can find old email I sent to the DOE asking about it (the people I talked to said they weren't part of it and suggested maybe I try somebody else) and it was included in a list of items for Plug In America's legislative director to discuss in a meeting with David Sandalow (former assistant DOE secretary). The Sandalow meeting was then discussed at a board call, but I can't find notes from that call.

I originally heard about it from an investor in an EVSE manufacturer who had asked the same question about the 30A limitation and was similarly unhappy to learn about the imposed limitation.

Hopefully, if/when the Sun Country Highway comes to the U.S., most of their chargers will be CS90s (70amp). I've used these in my MS in a trip to Banff, and they work great. The Sun Country Highway is a network of hundreds of free, privately funded charging stations across Canada. Most are 40amp chargers, but many are 70amp.

I can't see that happening. HPWC's can only be used by Tesla owners, right? There are lots of other EVs out there.

If I were a business, I would, and have, installed a J1772 70 amp EVSE to accomodate all. It cost $3600

If I were a retail business, I would consider an HPWC as it costs $1200. It would attract people more likely to spend than Chevy spark owners! (no offense if you own one. Just an example!)