Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When do we expect a new Model S or a face-lift to arrive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

The Model S has been around for a while. Also it looks very much like the Jaguar XF, and that car has been aroiund since 2007. So the design is at least between 8 and 10 years old, and that is showing. Altough the Model S is a beautiful car, it is already looking a bit outdated. So it is about time to expect a facelift. Has anyone heard or seen any indications of this?

IVer

Welcome!

The car is basically only be in volume production for a little over a year so wouldn't expect any facelift soon. Maybe something minor in a few years but no major changes probably for another 6 years or so (think something like this was mentioned in one of the speeches one of the Tesla executives has given). I don't think the car looks that dated but they did want to go for a more traditional looking car in order to not scare many people away with something too exotic looking.

I recall hearing Elon say, sometime within the past six months, that there will be no styling changes to the S for at least three years. Tesla is still a tiny company by automobile manufacturer standards and they lack the resources to devote to model "face lifts", which are usually just cosmetic changes anyway. Right now Tesla has it's hands full launching the X, building the Gigafactory, making sure all the overseas S launches go well and developing the Gen III. They have to execute all those things successfully to make sure the company prospers.

I think S sales will continue to go well for several years with or without a "facelift". The current design is beautiful and in my opinion will become a classic.

Just to add, most cars stay within that generation for at least 5 production years, and at most 10 production years... Depending... The average seems to be around 7 or so. The soonest I would expect a model S redesign would not likely be until late 2017 or early 2018. I would not at all be surprised if we see that facelift happen to coincide with the release of the auto pilot.

I'm surprised to see you refer to the Model S as looking dated - it has won a number of awards in the past year, which included styling. I don't see it as looking dated.

Subjective opinion, of course - meaning neither of us can definitely say it's dated or not dated.

I think the OP was arguing by analogy. The Tesla S looks somewhat like the Jaguar XF. The Jaguar XF has been around since at least 2007. Therefore, the Model S looks like it has been around since before 2007. Therefore its styling is 8-10 years old and needs a facelift. I actually think the Model S looks more like an Aston Martin Rapide S which came out in 2010. :)

I think the OP was arguing by analogy. The Tesla S looks somewhat like the Jaguar XF. The Jaguar XF has been around since at least 2007. Therefore, the Model S looks like it has been around since before 2007. Therefore its styling is 8-10 years old and needs a facelift. I actually think the Model S looks more like an Aston Martin Rapide S which came out in 2010. :)

Given how many accolades they have gotten on their looks, I would say, at least they modeled the look of the car after something sexy! Plus, it might have similar design elements, but it has it's own distinctive lines.

I like the fact that there are incremental changes without a "model year change", so you get powered mirrors, or a titanium shield without waiting for a 2015 year model. That said there is such a focus on that, it was hard to tell my insurance company what model year I have when I ordered recently.

I think Elon said he has hired someone to update the interior. I expect that to show up in the next year.

I did not know that. Source?

I seriously doubt there will be any sort of general makeover of the interior next year or the year after. Tesla is selling more Model S cars then they can produce. No need to make major changes in the near future.

I love the clean refined look of the interior. Others find it to be excessively minimalist. There is no accounting for taste. I hope Tesla does not devote resources to changing it any time soon.

Just to add, most cars stay within that generation for at least 5 production years, and at most 10 production years... Depending... The average seems to be around 7 or so. The soonest I would expect a model S redesign would not likely be until late 2017 or early 2018. I would not at all be surprised if we see that facelift happen to coincide with the release of the auto pilot.

Not every auto manufacturer abides by those rules. As an example, the McLaren 12C reached volume production in Dec 2011 and sold about 3500 cars during 2 1/2 years, representing about $1B in revenue. While very successful for a new model/new manufacturer, there were criticisms that the car was not exciting enough compared to its competitors. In response, McLaren just started delivering the facelifted 650S which also incorporates many engineering improvements. The 650S was engineered while McLaren was completing development of a completely new product, the McLaren P1.

Tesla has delivered about 30K Model S's during the past 18 months, representing $2.5B+ in sales. In the short term Tesla can continue to grow Model S sales by penetrating new markets, as they are currently doing in China. But within 12-18 months that string will have run out and they will need to grow "same store sales" in order to grow revenue. The Model S is great, but it DOES look a lot like a Jaguar and the interior IS substandard compared to $80K-$100K offerings from other manufacturers. So IMO Tesla would be wise to plan delivery of a facelifted Model S in 2016. Otherwise they risk declining revenues, especially if Gen 3 is delayed for any reason.

Last edited:
Precisely, which is another reason many of us did not expect our cars to be incompatible with new functionality delivered via software update within the first year. Clearly what Elon said is not true and minor updates are continuously being rolled out.

No no, I think your definition of minor change is different from their definition. What have they changed outside of software updates that has affected the look or performance of the car that wasn't given retroactively to everyone? The battery change is probably the only one, and that is kinda a stretch at best. Fog lights?

minor changes would be tweaks to the interior or exterior similar to how you see a difference between a 2008 honda civic and a 2010 honda civic. It is very subtle, but it is there. It is essentially the same car year to year. Your minor change is more like a minor, minor change. Like if we were using revision numbers there would be a second decimal point indicating the shifts in things like the fog lights and the battery. We are still rocking version 1.0 they are just on version 1.0.53 or something at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Not every auto manufacturer abides by those rules. As an example, the McLaren 12C reached volume production in Dec 2011 and sold about 3500 cars during 2 1/2 years, representing about $1B in revenue.

Sure there are always exceptions, but I was also looking toward higher volume manufacturers. McLaren markets to a very niche market, so if their customers are not happy about something they have to change it or get left out to dry... One lost sale is pretty huge for them. I don't see Tesla having that problem. Realistically the only complaint that is ever worth mention of the car is its interior... Which is very subjective in the first place... But I will go with it. I still don't see reason at all to change the exterior. The closest I have come to hearing anything close to the negative side on the exterior was from one single reviewer who wished the car DIDNT blend in... They actually wanted it to stick out like a sore thumb. "Hey, look at me! I am an electric vehicle!" Which was exactly what Tesla did not want to do, and is a design direction I hope they never go in.

At the shareholders meeting last summer Elon answered a question on this very subject and said they expect to do a minor styling update around year 3 or 4, and a completely new design around year 7 or 8.

The Model S was launched in 2012. By this then, you should expect a visual styling update on the Model S in 2015 or 2016, and a new design altogether in 2019 or 2020.

No no, I think your definition of minor change is different from their definition. What have they changed outside of software updates that has affected the look or performance of the car that wasn't given retroactively to everyone? The battery change is probably the only one, and that is kinda a stretch at best.

I guess it all depends on what constitutes a minor change. The battery is the absolute most significant aspect of a Model S, IMO, and at the very least merits a "minor change" classification. Hence, I argue that minor changes are occurring on a much more frequent basis than what Elon stated.

Sure there are always exceptions, but I was also looking toward higher volume manufacturers. McLaren markets to a very niche market, so if their customers are not happy about something they have to change it or get left out to dry... One lost sale is pretty huge for them. I don't see Tesla having that problem. Realistically the only complaint that is ever worth mention of the car is its interior... Which is very subjective in the first place... But I will go with it. I still don't see reason at all to change the exterior. The closest I have come to hearing anything close to the negative side on the exterior was from one single reviewer who wished the car DIDNT blend in... They actually wanted it to stick out like a sore thumb. "Hey, look at me! I am an electric vehicle!" Which was exactly what Tesla did not want to do, and is a design direction I hope they never go in.

And I was looking toward innovative new car companies, of which there are only two surviving so far in the past 4 decades - Tesla and McLaren. While we EV zealots and early adopters are willing to look past the competitive limitations of the Model S - interior, safety electronics, styling innovation - the broader market is less willing. At least in California, the market for the Model S has moved past the early adopters and towards the buyers of luxury cars that are tired of their 3rd or 4th Mercedes/BMW/Lexus/Audi and want the next cool luxury sedan. Right now, that is the Model S. But by 2016 its looks will be dated and it may be considered passé. So my point is that Tesla needs to deliver a facelifted/improved/updated Model S in order to continue to grow sales.

Most people I've talked to, even those who have no interest in Tesla or EVs in general, think the Model S looks pretty good. I don't think they should waste much time doing a major redesign on the exterior now and instead focus on the interior quality and other complaints people have.