Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When do you expect the first deliveries of the 2020 Roadster?

Launch Date - Founder's Cars

• Before Christmas 2020

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • After Christmas 2020

Votes: 86 82.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think 2020 refers to a date. I think it refers to how accurate your vision gets when accelerating from 0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds.
11711021-3d-render-of-a-shocked-baby-with-his-eyes-popping-out-.jpg

Reactions: Zer0t
So here's a hypothetical question: If it were actually cancelled, where would you turn for your next electric sports car? What's Plan B, I wonder?
Really hope you’re right and I’m being overly pessimistic. Especially as I don’t really have a plan B... That’s a big part of the reason that my reservation and hopes are still with Tesla. I would hate to take the refund only to see Tesla making a big splash a week later... :mad:

Would love for Jaguar to do an electric F-type. Or perhaps an electric Aston Martin Vantage? Or a Ferrari (doesn’t seem to be happening anytime soon). Time for the sports car manufacturers to wake up and smell the roses. :rolleyes:

Tesla has become a very secretive company -- so unlike the early days when the original Roadster was in the works. Who knows what progress they've made behind closed doors? I still reckon on some Roadsters shipping some time in 2020.

It was a different world back then, as you and I can attest. Martin was able to be much more forthcoming about various trials and difficulties. Early patents were published freely.

The first Roadster and Tesla itself weren't taken seriously and both were expected to fail (and in 2008 came very close to doing so).

There was no need for a Tesla-killer because everyone expected Tesla to do that for them.

It all started to change with the S and in particular, the reservation numbers for the 3.

I agree that the new Roadster will appear next year, albeit in small, token numbers. Elon wants his smackdown. ;)

Last edited:
Would love for Jaguar to do an electric F-type. Or perhaps an electric Aston Martin Vantage? Or a Ferrari (doesn’t seem to be happening anytime soon). Time for the sports car manufacturers to wake up and smell the roses. :rolleyes:

It does seem like the companies I'd most wish to see making a BEV sports car have shown the least interest in actually doing so. (I'm looking at you, Mazda and Lotus!) Then the ones that are doing it seem to leap immediately to "hypercars" with seven-figure price tags and two-figure production runs. It's disheartening.

Really hope you’re right and I’m being overly pessimistic. Especially as I don’t really have a plan B... That’s a big part of the reason that my reservation and hopes are still with Tesla. I would hate to take the refund only to see Tesla making a big splash a week later... :mad:

As an Aston Martin owner, I'm both entertained and embarrassed by the news of the first electric Aston.

Electric Aston Martin Rapide E lives up to its name

Underwhelmed is my reaction to the specifications. Under 200 miles range, just under 4 seconds for 0 to 60. I'll keep my position in the 2020 queue please .

Ugggh it will suck if it’s still 2.5 years or more away! I’ve got a 6 month old S P100D now and using it to hold me over until a Roadster, but 3 years is a LONG way off!

I’ve got 0 Teslas right now but do have a deposit down on a roadster. It was a couple of months in before I got up the courage, and I’m starting to think I have long wait. If it was this year I’d wait.. if it’s 2+ years I’d pick up a model 3 performance while I wait.. wish I knew.

Reactions: preilly44
Watched the Autonomy Day Event stream today.
Elon put up a slide when talking about the Tesla Master Plan.
From what I recall, 2020 goals were Model Y, Semi and Robotaxi - no mention of the new Roadster.
Not feeling very good about the likelihood a 2020 delivery.
Elon mention issue for producing enough batteries for the Model 3.
And was using the cell previously design for the Power Pack.

Also, Elon mentioned that the marketing will push the sale of the M3 SR (5o kWh),
instead of the LR (75 kWh), because this will allow to produce three M3 SR instead of two LR.

So the Roadster with 620 miles (200 kwh ?) would require like four M3 SR,
but the number of Roadster produced will be like 5% of the total Tesla cars production.

Similar concern with the amount of cells needed for the Semi.

I think that the main issue for the Roadster is to create a new production line.
I believe that the site for the Roadster will be the Giga1, but building extensions will need to be made then.

Note: At least, the Roadster was on display.

DemoDayR.jpg

Last edited:
Watched the Autonomy Day Event stream today. Elon put up a slide when talking about the Tesla Master Plan. From what I recall, 2020 goals were Model Y, Semi and Robotaxi - no mention of the new Roadster. Not feeling very good about the likelihood a 2020 delivery.
Urrg. That's a bummer.

But I'm in for the long haul. It will be worth it in the end. Tesla has always made me happy, always.

I’ve got 0 Teslas right now but do have a deposit down on a roadster. It was a couple of months in before I got up the courage, and I’m starting to think I have long wait. If it was this year I’d wait.. if it’s 2+ years I’d pick up a model 3 performance while I wait.. wish I knew.
I think it's realistic to assume it's 2 years at least. There may be a few ceremonial deliveries in December 2020, they did similar with Model X and Model 3. I say enjoy the next two years with a Performance Model 3, you won't regret it and you'll anticipate your Roadster even more! (Code below ;))

Reactions: preilly44

Seriously doubt any of those companies could make one this good at this price, or just this good. Even Porsche's six figure Taycan could only take you from 0-60 in more than 3 second. Want anything even in the 2's you'd have to spend million dollars or more for the Rimac or an ICE/hybrid hypercar. I'm just glad that I had my deposit put down the first day.